Do NOT use STP filters on your N54 BMW (S10075)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have this oil filter installed, go replace it NOW.

Just fished this out of my N54. Approximately 4,800 miles. The filter media was collapsed against the oil filter "cage" and took on the shape on the inside. Both rubber end caps separated from the unit and was stuck on the inside of the oil filter cap and oil filter housing.
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

I recall some older style K&N filters share this design as well with 2 piece rubber end caps, red inner rubber with black outer gasket. I was an idiot, this was the only filter available at the parts store when I bought the "oil change special" combo. Don't take the chance, stick with the OEM MANN filters.

I should've known better, and there are others with similar experiences: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=663871

20140315_145601.jpg

20140315_145611.jpg

20140315_145624.jpg

20140315_145751.jpg

What weight oil did you use? What climate are you in? COLD or warn or FREEZING....

However I feel the oil filter should not of done that and you should email STP and send them pictures of the filter.

However they will probably just send you some FREE STP Oil filters.

Your pics look significantly different than those on the E90 forum link. The pleat distortion looks really crushed inward in the direction of oil flow. If cold high viscosity wasn't the problem as mentioned above then I'd suspect a stuck filter bypass valve & high viscosity.

Originally Posted By: lenn

I would go even further: Do NOT use any non-OEM filters on your BMW. The OEM stuff (Mann/Mahle/Knecht/Hengst) is often no more expensive than STP, K&N, Fram, etc, so why even bother?

That doesn't look very reassuring.
I've used a couple of STP oil filters in my old BMW and saw nothing like this, although they are of a somewhat different design, using metal rather than plastic end caps, with captured gaskets.
Even with all of that inward displacement of the media in your example, though, it doesn't look as though the media actually failed.
I wonder if you have some problem beyond this choice of oil filter?

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Contact STP and attach your pics.

Agreed.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I would go even further: Do NOT use any non-OEM filters on your BMW. The OEM stuff (Mann/Mahle/Knecht/Hengst) is often no more expensive than STP, K&N, Fram, etc, so why even bother?

I agree, but like to change yours a little: Do NOT use any non-OEM cartridge filters on any European engines: BMW or MB or Audi or Volvo ... I found that OEM German brand cartridge filters are actually cheaper than K&N, Fram, etc online.

Pete, your posts are almost always match my thinking.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Even with all of that inward displacement of the media in your example, though, it doesn't look as though the media actually failed.

Wow ... it's incredible that the media didn't tear someplace with all that crushing and deformation on the pleats. Obviously some tough media there.

I thought that.
You would have expected massive failure.
Didn't happen.
The STP may actually be pretty tough and the filter might not have been the problem in this case.

That one kept the bypass valve busy.

I can't understand why people try to save a few bucks over a proven Mann, Mahle or Hengst in these engines.

Apologies for taking some time to reply.

I contacted STP through their support email and their web form. No replies. I then uploaded the pictures to facebook and tagged them and message them. Still no reply. I would NEVER touch a STP product again. This is ridiculous.

I ran Castrol 0w-30 (German Castrol) from late summer through early spring, approximately 6 month time frame. This filter failed miserably. I don't know when it failed.

The cage definitely did its job. The endcaps on the filter were completely distorted. The filter element was pressure formed against the cage.

This filter came as part of a autozone/advance auto parts "oil change special". The filter seemed well constructed at the time. In fact, I believe early K&N filters were constructed in a very similar fashion until their redesign. The filter wasn't exactly "cheap" either, I believe this one is prices the same as the Bosch and MANN filter. Clearly cost does not equate to quality.

^^^ Unless that STP filter is super weak and can't take much delta-p across it, the only reason the media would be crushed in that badly was if: a) the filter was clogged up causing a large delta-p, and/or b) the filter bypass valve in the engine is faulty and not bypassing in conditions it should; thereby causing a large delta-p across the filter that would cause the media to crush down against the center tube like that.

Is this the very first time you have seen any filter like this distort?

Also, do you know that the bypass valve setting is on this vehicle? It could be that it is set pretty high, and that the STP filter isn't designed to take that much delta-p even though the bypass valve is working as designed. If that's the case, then it would be STP's fault for specifying this filter for a vehicle that pushes the filter beyond its design limits.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
^^^ Unless that STP filter is super weak and can't take much delta-p across it, the only reason the media would be crushed in that badly was if: a) the filter was clogged up causing a large delta-p, and/or b) the filter bypass valve in the engine is faulty and not bypassing in conditions it should; thereby causing a large delta-p across the filter that would cause the media to crush down against the center tube like that.

If you read the entire thread the OP links you'll see another possible reason- a cartridge filter that is too long for the application. The crushdown/crinkling starts the moment the filter cap is screwed down onto the cartridge.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: lenn

This.

But why should this be the case????

STP (Champion Labs/FRAM/The Rank Group) should be capable of designing a filter to perform in a BMW.

The car offers no unusual conditions that aren't easily accommodated by Mahle or the other OEM suppliers to BMW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back