Lifter noise louder with synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2006 Hyundai Accent with 147,000mi on it. Has always had a bit of lifter noise on cold start-up. When the car was newer I tried Pennzoil platinum but switched back to PYB as the lifter noise was considerable louder for the first minute or so. Recently, I decided to try Pennzoil's synthetic blend and once again....really loud lifter noise on start-up. Anyone else have a similar experience with synthetic or blend oils and if so, why such a noticeable increase in noise?

Is this simply an annoyance or is there damage being done?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Clicky -----> HERE

crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Drew1977
I have a 2006 Hyundai Accent with 147,000mi on it. Has always had a bit of lifter noise on cold start-up. When the car was newer I tried Pennzoil platinum but switched back to PYB as the lifter noise was considerable louder for the first minute or so. Recently, I decided to try Pennzoil's synthetic blend and once again....really loud lifter noise on start-up. Anyone else have a similar experience with synthetic or blend oils and if so, why such a noticeable increase in noise?

Stay with PYB or QSGB. For some really quiet operation, I have has excellent success with QS DEFY.

I would try a better oil filter, oil drain back with most cheap oil filters.

same problem with those cheap filters I have tried 2003 Hyundai accent 1.6L

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Drew1977

No damage being done and its a common occurrence. These oils have greater cleaning abilities and they do remove the varnish over time that causes the noise.
When the hydraulic lifters/lash adjusters begin to work properly again they can get louder.

You have to give it time and a few OC, i had one take about a year to clear up but when it quieted down it was dead silent. It had been making noise for years and i wasn't going to fix it.
I read all the stories about engines being quieter on this that and the other, they switch back and forth between oils faster than a fiddlers elbow looking to find "the quiet" one.

IMHO its mostly psychological in a clean good running engine that is generally quiet. In 40 years doing this professionally i never experienced it in anything that lasted permanently.
All my engines are clean and i guarantee you they will sound the same no matter what oil you put in them as long as its the same and correct viscosity.

I don't hear any so called lifter noise that's not normal with M1 0-20. Now I do hear some injector clicking with the hood up. I have verified that with a mechanics stethoscope.

This engine use HLA? My wife's Subaru with HLA is quieter on PU than anything else. Some light SHP oils don't wedge the cam ramp as well as a conventional of higher vis and can be noisier. Also deck carbon interference is a big issue - have you performed any Italian tune ups yet? Also with warmer weather your tank canister purge solenoid clack will be evident.

Perhaps the noise is a good thing as opposed to a bad thing?

You are talking about a dead-cold engine here. So, any oil will be way too thick and out of grade. I can't imagine synthetic, having actually a less cold viscosity thanks to a higher viscosity index, being worse than dino in a dead-cold engine.

We Canadians always add some thick maple syrup to the oil to keep things quiet. Canadian women have very good hearing and can tell their husband is sneaking out at night to hangout with buddies just from the lifter noise at startup.

My favorite oils for the 1.6 are...
syn: Mobil 0w30 AFE
dino/blend: QS Defy 5w30
I have always used OEM oil filter
49.gif

Today cars have an evap canister ( charcoal canister ) that is usually located near the fuel tank. Since car manufacturers haven't been allowed to vent vapors from the gas tank to the atmosphere for years now, they collect in this canister. When the ecu deems it necessary, there is a control valve/ solenoid under your hood that it will open up and allow those vapors collected in the canister to travel into your engines intake manifold to be burned by the engine. Its really just a giant, expensive breather system for your gas tank. Arco is saying that sometimes those purge valves/ solenoids under the hood can be noisy and cause what some belive is valvetrain or piston noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back