MAHLE Oil Filters made for FRAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like MAHLE is making oil filters for FRAM. I was just at Wallymart and opened up a cartridge style Oil filter and it was b/c of a topic oil filter for BMW that is here also today.

Well I opened the FRAM box on a few FRAM Extra Gaurd the cheaper FRAM oil filer and look at the pics!

9u3ojn.jpg

2h6xcud.jpg

I opened up several of the Extra Guards and most of them were made by MAHLE... I'm not sure if this has to do with FRAM being sold and bought by RANK Group...

However I know MAHLE makes a very good oil filter.....

I did open a Tough Gaurd and a Ultra but they were still the same as before.
Perhaps that the Extra Gaurds sell more they have not yet moved to TG or Ultra yet or perhaps they might leave them alone.

However if FRAM has there Extra Guards all made by MAHLE and even there canned SPIN on it sure will shake things up in the Oil filter business.

Also this is NO MISTAKE b/c Wallymart does not sell MAHLE Oil filters.. so no way could
anyone switch the box.

So what do you all think??? or is this old news?

I can't imagine it is cost effective for even a large filter manufacturer to make every model number filter for every car. Im sure they all do some trading or for-fee manufacturing. Mahle makes a good filter, though anything can be off shored as a lowest bidder cheapening.

But good find!

Originally Posted By: domer10
Thats what i use on my m3 mahle.....get it at napa for 10 bucks, how much was that one?

$3.89

at Wallymart.

Should go get a bunch.....

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I can't imagine it is cost effective for even a large filter manufacturer to make every model number filter for every car. Im sure they all do some trading or for-fee manufacturing. Mahle makes a good filter, though anything can be off shored as a lowest bidder cheapening.

But good find!

Thanks.

and again, the reason I was looking was b/c of a post here earlier and I said I always trusted the FRAM oil filters that were in cartridge.... even if it was the cheaper extra gaurd... Reason you can see more of the filter when its in cartridge form.

However I see your point.. .but if they do switch to MAHLE do you agree it would shake things up in the oil filter business?

I mean this is the first time I have seen MAHLE oil filter in a FRAM box.

so somthing must of changed or might be getting ready to change.

Fram has been outsourcing low volume cartridge filters from what Motorking has posted. As volume picks up they move production in house.

Our KIA is "low volume" too apparently as the CH10855 at Wally's is 10 bucks! It said Mahle on it too.

Originally Posted By: David1
Looks like MAHLE is making oil filters for FRAM. I was just at Wallymart and opened up a cartridge style Oil filter and it was b/c of a topic oil filter for BMW that is here also today.

Well I opened the FRAM box on a few FRAM Extra Gaurd the cheaper FRAM oil filer and look at the pics!

9u3ojn.jpg

2h6xcud.jpg

I opened up several of the Extra Guards and most of them were made by MAHLE... I'm not sure if this has to do with FRAM being sold and bought by RANK Group...

Perhaps that the Extra Gaurds sell more they have not yet moved to TG or Ultra yet or perhaps they might leave them alone.

However if FRAM has there Extra Guards all made by MAHLE and even there canned SPIN on it sure will shake things up in the Oil filter business.

Also this is NO MISTAKE b/c Wallymart does not sell MAHLE Oil filters.. so no way could
anyone switch the box.

Time out! We source some low volume filters from other filter makers, many of them source filters from us as well. No filter maker can tool up to make every oil filter in the universe. That said, when volume ramps up, we usually bring production in house unless the filter is a patented design we cannot reproduce. In some of those cases, we are still the lowest price due to our purchasing volume. MAHLE is not part of FRAM and supplies only 3-4 part numbers to us.

Originally Posted By: Motorking

9u3ojn.jpg

2h6xcud.jpg

anyone switch the box.

Time out! We source some low volume filters from other filter makers, many of them source filters from us as well. No filter maker can tool up to make every oil filter in the universe. That said, when volume ramps up, we usually bring production in house unless the filter is a patented design we cannot reproduce. In some of those cases, we are still the lowest price due to our purchasing volume. MAHLE is not part of FRAM and supplies only 3-4 part numbers to us.

Okay you would know
but not many have seen that kind of filter in a FRAM box

^^^ You see Fram EGs in the Bosch Distance Plus boxes at Walmart.
crazy.gif
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
crazy.gif
grin.gif

Thats different... they do not sell MAHLE oil filters at wallymart.

in the instances you are talking about , people swapped boxes.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
crazy.gif
grin.gif

Thats different... they do not sell MAHLE oil filters at wallymart.

in the instances you are talking about , people swapped boxes.

Well of course Wally customers swap oil filters all the time, it's been discussed many times in this forum.

Sure they sell MAHLE filters at Wallymart (in a Fram box) ... you just proved it.
grin.gif

Unfortunate that no specific application number is included for this filter, as I'd like to check out and confirm the price given. Answer as to why this is found in the Fram box has been given, low sales volume out source. End cap looks exactly like the Mahle made Hyundai/Kia cartridge oem filters, and they run ~$10 from the dealer. I expect it is identical.

As KC pointed out his Mahle filter in the Fram EG is ~$10 for H/K application, so if this specific application is $3.89, then that's a deal. However, I suspect it's either mismarked, misread, or was in the wrong slot.

As for the TG and Ultra 'in this specific application' or other Hyundai/Kia application cartidge being "the same as before", I'm highly dubious of that to be the case. I doubt if Fram didn't make the the the Extra Guard that they would even bother making it in the TG or Ultra. Thinking it only comes in the Extra Guard in this and other H/K applications. So, pics or didn't happen.

As for being new, not really. Seen a few other low production low sales volume filters including some spin on, eg. VW/AUDI, in EG boxes posted here in past.

As for the speculation regarding the OP's recently acquired awareness of the now 3 year old Rank acquisition of Fram somehow being related, imo it's just that, speculation.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Unfortunate that no specific application number is included for this filter, as I'd like to check out and confirm the price given. Answer as to why this is found in the Fram box has been given, low sales volume out source. End cap looks exactly like the Mahle made Hyundai/Kia cartridge oem filters, and they run ~$10 from the dealer. I expect it is identical.

As KC pointed out his Mahle filter in the Fram EG is ~$10 for H/K application, so if this specific application is $3.89, then that's a deal. However, I suspect it's either mismarked, misread, or was in the wrong slot.

As for the TG and Ultra 'in this specific application' or other Hyundai/Kia application cartidge being "the same as before", I'm highly dubious of that to be the case. I doubt if Fram didn't make the the the Extra Guard that they would even bother making it in the TG or Ultra. Thinking it only comes in the Extra Guard in this and other H/K applications. So, pics or didn't happen.

As for being new, not really. Seen a few other low production low sales volume filters including some spin on, eg. VW/AUDI, in EG boxes posted here in past.

As for the speculation regarding the OP's recently acquired awareness of the now 3 year old Rank acquisition of Fram somehow being related, imo it's just that, speculation.

I was just at Wallymart this morning to get OIL that I will make a post on later b/c Walmart made a huge mistake and charged 5$ for 5W30 SYNTHETIC VALVLONE.. but they were out of it and I got them to give me the same price on VALVOLINE FULL SYN HIGH MILAGE 5W30

Anways... here is the FRAM Model number that had the MAHLE Oil filters in them that i show in the pics

CH10855

vn11dh.jpg

9u3ojn.jpg

So go to wallymart and stock up if this fits your car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Fram has been outsourcing low volume cartridge filters from what Motorking has posted. As volume picks up they move production in house.

Our KIA is "low volume" too apparently as the CH10855 at Wally's is 10 bucks! It said Mahle on it too.

Yes, and as Jay explained they do this until the volume dictates the buy/make decision favors the make side instead of buy.

Fram used to buy their PH8994 filters for my Audi from Mann and they were W930/21s with Fram's info painted on them.
thumbsup2.gif
Now they are making them in house and they are the normal orange cans.
cry.gif
Unfortunately, they went from silicone ADBVs and long life media to nitrile ADBVs and the normal 5k mile media that all other Extra Guards have.

Oh, and the sales price increased 50% at my local farm supply store.
frown.gif

^^^^Just looked up CH10855 at WM online for pricing and local availability. Price shows as $10.24 available for pick up today at my WM. Thinking this is the same filter KC noted for his Kia including similar ~$10 pricing.

As said, if it is really ~$3.89, it's a mismark, misread price or wrong slot placement.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fram-Extra-Guard-Oil-Filter-CH10855/35743169

Well somtimes you actually have to go there.... I was at wallymart today as i said and they had 5W30 VALVOLINE SYNTHETIC OIL for 5$ a QT and here is pic

Also is that the ONLINE PRICE you are looking at????? b/c look at my pic for Valvoline SYNTHETIC at the store and then look the online price

24wt5xd.jpg

now look online price

rvzorr.jpg

Now they were out of the 5W30 so I got the manager and asked him if I could get the
MAXX LIFE FULL SYNTHETIC HIGH MILAGE for the same price 5$ a quart and I got 5 QTs for 25$

10hn1hw.jpg

The online price was the same at over 7$ near 8$

Next time I go to wallymart I take a picture of the price of that oil filter.

I hope your not saying I'm misleading anyone.

1st no one has ever seen a FRAM oil filter box with a MAHLE Oil filter in it....

so why would it be so hard to believe the price would be lower and more near the prices of all the other Extra guards????

Also I have a person here whom I think says for his car MANN used to make the oil filter for FRAM... and then FRAM started to make the oil filter and the FRAM oil filter didnt have SILCONE ADBV and he felt is was not as good.

then he said they price went up 50% more...

so go figure it out.

I cant wait till I go to wallymart again and take a picture of the price.

However I have been there 3 days in a row and dont feel like going again... However If the need comes for me to go , I will and I will take a picture of the price

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
Originally Posted By: KCJeep

Yes, and as Jay explained they do this until the volume dictates the buy/make decision favors the make side instead of buy.

Fram used to buy their PH8994 filters for my Audi from Mann and they were W930/21s with Fram's info painted on them.
thumbsup2.gif
Now they are making them in house and they are the normal orange cans.
cry.gif
Unfortunately, they went from silicone ADBVs and long life media to nitrile ADBVs and the normal 5k mile media that all other Extra Guards have.

Oh, and the sales price increased 50% at my local farm supply store.
frown.gif

Did the price increase when they stopped useing MANN and starting actually making their own oil filter?

^^^^Just looked up CH10855 at WM online for pricing and local availability. Price shows as $10.24 available for pick up today at my WM. Thinking this is the same filter KC noted for his Kia including similar ~$10 pricing.

As said, if it is really ~$3.89, it's a mismark, misread price or wrong slot placement.

That is online price..... and as I proved online prices and store prices can differ...

Look at my PICS..... the 1 even says ONLINE PRICE

when I look up your oil filter in my area, it says ONLINE PRICE.

how do you explain Valvoline 100% SYN oil for 5$ a QT when even the store price is near 8$

and I show pics to prove it.. not online cut and paste.

Again.

Ill go to wallymart as soon as I need to and take a picture of the price of that filter and make sure it says model number in the picture.

...Ill go to wallymart as soon as I need to and take a picture of the price of that filter and make sure it says model number in the picture.

You do that, then post up the pic of the store price lable as you did for the Valvoline. Though not sure why it's posted because it's irrelevant to the Fram CH10855 being addressed. Other that the fact that you seem to enjoy posting pics.

And fyi, just checked my local WM store to confirm CH10855 online price for instore pick up today, same as everyday in store price. $10.24 as stated. Also the same price KC noted earlier in the thread.

Good Luck.

Edit
lol.gif
Just noticed none of you Valvoline oil shots are for the same Valvoline item. Both viscosities and types, HM, Synthetic are different. The first label is for Valvoline Synthetic 5w30, second price for Valvoline Synthetic 5w40 and last for Valvoline High Mileage Full Syn 5w30. No wonder the prices are different, they're all different products.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back