Amsoil CVT Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
New CVT Fluid Expands Market for Dealers

Posted: May 1, 2014 - New Product

AMSOIL Synthetic CVT Fluid (CVT) provides outstanding protection and performance for continuously variable transmissions (CVTs) throughout vehicle manufacturer-recommended drain intervals. Its exceptional metal-to-metal frictional properties help prevent belt and chain slipping for smooth, trouble-free operation. AMSOIL CVT Fluid resists oxidation and wear for maximum CVT life. It provides excellent wet-clutch performance for outstanding anti-shudder durability and reduced noise and vibration. AMSOIL CVT Fluid is Warranty Secure and will not void vehicle warranties.

The top markets for AMSOIL CVT Fluid include independent transmission shops, independent auto repair shops (especially those specializing in Asian vehicles) and do-it-yourselfers. With vehicle-manufacturer-branded fluids often costing $20 or more a quart and very few competing products on the market, AMSOIL CVT Fluid offers a cost-effective, premium-quality alternative, saving customers money and allowing higher profit margins for installers.

Amsoil CVT

I wonder how different the CVT fluid is compared to tractor fluild? Seems to have all the same basic requirements, with friction modifiers to prevent wet brake and clutch chatter.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: rshaw125
$13.70 a quart. wow.

I believe Nissan charges $40 a quart or something even higher.

The Nissan stuff is somewhere in the $15-$20/qt range. Not too bad.

Considering that Nissan extended the warranty on these units to 10/120k, using an aftermarket fluid is not something that should be done without some thought.

What color is this fluid? Does it at least match the same color as the OEM fluid?

Despite the wear comparison on the page, I am still a bit skeptical of this fluid given the wide range of applications that it is suitable for.

CVTs live-and-die by the correct fluid -- the belts are HIGHLY dependent upon very specific frictional properties in order to survive.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I've always wondered why amsoil didn't have a cvt flui, iI guess it was in the works.

Pretty ridiculous how much some of the oem cvt fluid is.

One of the Amsoil engineers once told me that the CVT is "dead," and stepped gear automatics are taking over the market. Of course, he is clearly wrong again...

The OEM CVT fluids really aren't that much more expensive. Most of them are lifetime fill anyway and should last 120k +.

Even the Nissan CVT fluid life monitor rarely asks for a change during the term of most ownerships.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: rshaw125
$13.70 a quart. wow.

I believe Nissan charges $40 a quart or something even higher.

The Nissan stuff is somewhere in the $15-$20/qt range. Not too bad.

Considering that Nissan extended the warranty on these units to 10/120k, using an aftermarket fluid is not something that should be done without some thought.

What color is this fluid? Does it at least match the same color as the OEM fluid?

Despite the wear comparison on the page, I am still a bit skeptical of this fluid given the wide range of applications that it is suitable for.

CVTs live-and-die by the correct fluid -- the belts are HIGHLY dependent upon very specific frictional properties in order to survive.

Dealer markup maybe? I have heard of $400 CVT fluid changes at the dealer.

$400 for a fluid change, and they still won't go 100K miles without failing.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Does it at least match the same color as the OEM fluid?

You do know that oil color is from an oil soluble dye? Color doesn't matter.

I'm assuming the color is to make it harder for the dealer or factory to say you used the wrong fluid?

Nissan dropped their warranty back to the 60k miles in 2012 I think it was. They became confident in their CVT I guess.

Originally Posted by Pablo
You do know that oil color is from an oil soluble dye? Color doesn't matter.

Until it is warranty time then it raises a red flag. If it matched then they wouldn't think anything of it. The 2013+ pathfinder and infiniti JX35/QX60 both use a new cvt and tons of people are having shudder problems and nissan seems to not be able to figure out a fix for it. My wifes new QX60 only has around 400 miles on it. I thought about switching to the amsoil cvt but wont out of fear they will deny warranty if she develops the shudder problem.

If they deny warranty for using a correct aftermarket fluid, they will be in violation of USA law. Amsoil CVT will not in any way violate your warranty. Color does not matter.

I understand your automobile is a huge investment. I think this is why I would want something better than the Nissan NS-2.
The shudder is fluid related:

In the JASO LVFA Anti-Shudder Durability Test, AMSOIL CVT Fluid lasted six times longer, translating into improved anti-shudder durability and reduced noise, vibration and harshness.

I didn't know we are talking 2014. Thanks.

2013 pathfinder and jx35 uses the same cvt as the 2014 pathfinder and QX60 (QX60 is the new name for the JX35). So maybe amsoil just hasn't tested and verified that the new fluid will work correctly with these new cvt's? I would love to hear that the new amsoil cvt fluid meets or exceeds specs and wont void the warranty because I would switch it right away while it is still new.

I have asked Amsoil Tech.

Is Nissan officially saying NS-3 can be used in place of NS-2 in earlier NS-2 applications? Google provided no authoritative answer.

I have asked Amsoil Tech.
Is Nissan officially saying NS-3 can be used in place of NS-2 in earlier NS-2 applications? Google provided no authoritative answer.

That is a good question. I know her new car specs NS-3 but doesnt say anything about the previous NS-2

The manual says

" Use only Genuine NISSAN CVT Fluid NS-3. Using transmission fluid other than Genuine NISSAN CVT Fluid NS-3 will damage the CVT, which is not covered by the NISSAN new vehicle limited warranty."

If they deny warranty for using a correct aftermarket fluid, they will be in violation of USA law. Amsoil CVT will not in any way violate your warranty. Color does not matter.

I understand your automobile is a huge investment. I think this is why I would want something better than the Nissan NS-2.

Typical Amsoil salesman speak.

Sure, the mfg may technically be in "violation" of the act, but good luck with escalating the matter with Nissan.
While you are busy fighting them on the issue, your vehicle is out of service and you are majorly inconvenienced.
The sad part is that if the person had simply left the ORIGINAL fluid in the transmission, there would've been no issue at all.
As usual, avoidance is generally the better strategy. And besides, there's nothing to suggest that better anti-shudder protection of the fluid will fix the issue...that is pure speculation on your part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back