Holy Purolator Flip Flop!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
crackmeup2.gif
45.gif

You've got the icons under control. I suggest you cease posting any text and just stick with the icons.

Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D
Originally Posted By: TriboGeek
I wonder how much loose cellulose can pass through a bearing before the bearing gets spun, at 6000rpm...?

By what process could loose cellulose pass through a bearing?

Give particulars describing its path through the engine.

WD, why are you constantly, passive aggressively attacking everyone that has anything bad to say about Purolator? They have been producing a significant amount of faulty filters, there have been a LOT of people finding them. Even if there is no significant damage to an engine from them, do you think anyone will want to continue using a product that there is a problem with and no acknowledgement from the manufacturer of any problem at all? It is a legitimate concern!

You are acting like you are offended if someone says something bad about Purolator. I am posting this because I read these posts for informative and educational posts on these products.

Your posts are nothing but destructive to the conversation.......

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
crackmeup2.gif
45.gif

You've got the icons under control. I suggest you cease posting any text and just stick with the icons.

Just want to make sure there's no mis-comprehension going on.

Originally Posted By: Cooper
Dude, why are you constantly, passive aggressively attacking everyone that has anything bad to say about Purolator?

He better dump all his stock by the end of the week! There is definitely some kind of connection, nobody tries to take on a mob without some agenda behind it. Or he just likes arguing with a dozen people at the same time.
crazy.gif

WD, why are you constantly, passive aggressively attacking everyone that has anything bad to say about Purolator?

I'm not.

I am pointing out that some of the posts on this topic are rife with misinformation, speculation, and baked wind.

You have all the information you need to switch brands and buy something else.

Using BITOG as a transmission belt for individuals with other agendas, particularly one of animus toward a manufacturer who has responded and has a good track record, is completely inappropriate. It brings discredit on BITOG and is not the sort of objective fact-based approach that BITOG purports to represent.

WD, why are you constantly, passive aggressively attacking everyone that has anything bad to say about Purolator?

I'm not.

I am pointing out that some of the posts on this topic are rife with misinformation, speculation, and baked wind.

You have all the information you need to switch brands and buy something else.

Using BITOG as a transmission belt for individuals with other agendas, particularly one of animus toward a manufacturer who has responded and has a good track record, is completely inappropriate. It brings discredit on BITOG and is not the sort of objective fact-based approach that BITOG purports to represent.

I actually absolutely agree with everything you are saying in THIS post. I think you are knowledgable and had good intent by not wanting everyone to get the mob mentality on something that may or may not be addressed. Either way, maybe take a breather from it, cause it is easy to see that this is getting to you.....

Not trying to be internet counselor, even if it is part of what I do in real life....just an observation.

Originally Posted By: TriboGeek
Are you really going to try and persuade anyone that this is some kind of impossibility?

Almost.

I previously presented examples of near destruction of filters in use. Only one of them was associated with an engine failure, and that one involved the engine failure destroying the filter, not the other way around.

Bits of sludge and other material routinely circulate through the engine. If you look at the crud that fills an oil filter when Auto-Rx is run through it - both their site and BITOG have numerous photos - it makes a bit of cellulose look like angel's breath.

These small tears present no real danger to an engine, and probably don't impact the overall operation of the filter all that much.

Interesting. Not.

Spun bearings, starved bearings, and who knows what other flow or boundary issues, might arise from clumps of wet paper being forced into the oil ways, to say nothing of what other junk might make it past the filter. Gunk from engine cleaner, found on a filter, demonstrates nothing...

I really cant fathom anyone that cares about their engine, being ok with chunks of debris running into the lube path.

Anyway, I'm done with this fun little debate. I'm interested in incidence of these problems, their rectification, and solutions for customers to avoid trouble.

This is way beyond that. It's surpassing a lynch mob and heading for a cult.

No, it's not. It's not even near the level of "OCOD" or "cardboard end caps" or "Pennzoil waxes engines" or "Quaker State causes sludge" or "M1 5w-30 will wreck a WRX's engine."

Where's the lynch mob? Personally, I said I won't use their branded products until I see evidence that the tears are history and I give it enough time to move through the Canadian retail system, likely a year.

With respect to the above myths, look at what those companies do that Purolator is not doing. Fram's Motorking is here, bending over backwards to keep PR on an even keel. Pennzoil and Quaker State have been pushing how clean and wear free engines using those products will be. Mobil offers an unlimited mileage warranty on its oil products.

Purolator's response has been to advise us not to stockpile their oil filters. Don't worry; I won't.

^ This issue has been going on for a few years.

Purolator HAS to deny the problem in order to prevent a recall.

They've made unspecified improvements and have asked those of us who cut open filters to buy the latest stock.

^^^ Yes, they said they can't replicate the failure ... yet they say go buy new filters to take advantage of the "undisclosed improvements".

As I said in another thread, it will be interesting to see if the pleat spacing and V-spread is changed on filters made a month from now. If so, then I'd say that as one "undisclosed improvement".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back