Picked up some old razors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to an estate sale on Saturday and, among other things bid on and won a box of "vintage items" that included some old razors. In the past I would have simply passed on the item or given them away, but after refurbishing my old Gillette I've become somewhat intrigued by older razors. I paid $10 for the entire box.

The razors included a Gillette "Red Tip", two Valet AutoStrop razors, and two Gem single edge "shovel head" razors. Surprisingly, the only one with any real value is the Gillette, which may be worth around $30 or so on Ebay. The rest seem to be worth $10-$20 each.

The two AutoStrop razors. The one on the right has a bent tooth on the comb, but the one on the left is in nearly perfect condition.

Close up of one of the AutoStrop razors. It almost looks like a medieval torture device. I haven't cleaned or polished it yet, but it should shine up quite nicely. As I understand it, Feather still makes a blade that will work in these, or single edge blades can be modified to work. I doubt that I'll use them, although I'm not sure what I'll do with them. The razor is designed to sharpen the blade with a strop-apparently Valet didn't get the Gillette business model of making profit from frequent and repeated blade sales.

The single edge Gems are both clean, although one has some gold plating loss on the head.

If I decide to sell it, the Gillette will more than pay for the entire box of vintage stuff. But I may clean them all up and keep them around as conversation pieces.

So some of those are literally gold plated? Ahh to live 75 years ago and wake up like a boss every morning.
frown.gif

I collect safety razors. I shave with them too. They are really great. Easy to clean, razor blades are cheap and they give a nice shave too. You got a steal with this group!

I'm trying to envision where I would put these as conversation pieces? They are kind of neat though.

For the price of mach3 refills, they should be gold plated too...

Seems like a big waste of time to only acquire those from an estate sale. Think bigger next time.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
The razors included a Gillette "Red Tip", two Valet AutoStrop razors, and two Gem single edge "shovel head" razors.

Do you plan on shaving with any of them?

I shave every day with the "Red Tip"'s adjustable cousin.

il_570xN.427481212_n169.jpg

They are built like tanks.

Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
The razors included a Gillette "Red Tip", two Valet AutoStrop razors, and two Gem single edge "shovel head" razors.

I shave every day with the "Red Tip"'s adjustable cousin.

il_570xN.427481212_n169.jpg

They are built like tanks.

That a "Fat Boy" or a "Slim".

Originally Posted By: jcwit

A Fat Boy.

I also have a Slim.

Gillette Slim Adjustable

The Fat Boy was actually my first new razor - my father gave it to me.

I picked up the Slim off ebay a few years go figuring that with the revival of double edge shaving, and the price of old razors going up, I ought to get a backup while they're still around.

My cost per shave is about one cent.

Probably not.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I'm trying to envision where I would put these as conversation pieces? They are kind of neat though.

I had thought about building an oak shadow box and put it in the guest bathroom to display them.. If I do it will be one of those cold winter Sunday projects.

Originally Posted By: jcwit

A Fat Boy.

I also have a Slim.

Gillette Slim Adjustable

The Fat Boy was actually my first new razor - my father gave it to me.

I picked up the Slim off ebay a few years go figuring that with the revival of double edge shaving, and the price of old razors going up, I ought to get a backup while they're still around.

My cost per shave is about one cent.

I've picked up a few of those adjustable razors in the past-I had no idea of the value. For the most part I gave them away, but now that I know they have some value you can bet I'll keep an eye open for them from now on.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Seems like a big waste of time to only acquire those from an estate sale. Think bigger next time.

If you were capable of actually reading, you'd see that I picked these up "among other things".

But please, continue to show us what a mook you are.

Very cool razors, Pop.

My Mom still shaves with her single edged GEM. Yeah, I know....TMI. She's had it for at least the last 55 years.

There's a couple of NIB straight razors that are stashed away in Grandma's stuff. These old implements are beautiful in their own right.

A factoid on those old Gillette red tips- they tend to be agressive in nature, some of them *very* much so. Dad had one that was a near-terror to use, he usually just stuck with his old reliable non-adjustable gold Aristocrat.

The old Aristocrat, though the gold is all long worn off, still shaves great. Dunno whatever happened to the red tip, but sure don't miss it. Some folks love 'em though- probably have both tough beard *and* tough hide. To each his own.

You can probably get a decent price for the Gillette on one of the shaving forums.

Good score.
I've never used an auto-strop.But the GEM's are great shavers you just have to use a different angle of attack as compared to the Gillette type razors.

I have one of these:
http://www.ramshacklesolid.com/2009/01/razor-blade-sharpener.html

You might also consider one for your collection.

The one I have was made in Germany and they were issued to German solders during WWII (I have been told)

I came by it at a Yard Sale / Estate sale, there was a Whole Box of them New. They were asking 25 cents each, so I bought one as a curiosity.

It seems the original owner bought a whole bunch of them (surplus?) back in the 50's, and thought he might try and sell them.
By then I guess Blades were so cheap, there weren't many takers.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I thought you had a beard...

I do. But it's not a full beard-I don't have it high on my cheeks nor is it on my neck. So I still have the need to shave.

Nice pick ups Pop Rivit

As to the beard, a safety razor is way easier to make clean lines than a double/triple/quadruple/electric.

Interesting. Ever since having our baby, Ive had a beard because its a texture of interest. Learned this by accident when on vacation and it stuck.

But I dont keep it high up and of course the neck always needs to be kept clean. If this kind of razor is the right way to go, Ill need to look into it. Ill bet my grandfather (RIP) had one of these.

I just trim the beard line with electric clippers whenever I trim my hair. Not perfect but "good enough" for me.

Unfortunately I'm noticing more white hairs lately so I think the beard's days are numbered...
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back