Holy Purolator Flip Flop!

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^ Tears in that PureOne are less drastic. Again, most likely because the media is different and more tear resistant.

Originally Posted By: possum328
My sincere apologies if my description of my torn filter as "a trainwreck" was too sensational for you.

This is the crux of the argument. You are perfectly within your rights to expect an oil filter to survive an OCI without experiencing media tears - end of story.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
And that wasn't' a "threat" about a vacation because I can't personally give you one. It was a friendly general warning ...

In other words, a threat.

Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D
And that wasn't' a "threat" about a vacation because I can't personally give you one. It was a friendly general warning ...

In other words, a threat.

Nope, a warning for your own sake. Stop baiting and trolling everyone here.

Originally Posted By: TriboGeek
I was already spreading the word myself before registering here.

What a shock.

Oh I was quite frank that this whole "Tearolator" fiasco pushed me to finally register here. Yea, I don't like imagining the countless people who will potentially harm their motors because it seems Purolator isn't very good at building reliable filters, MPR responding to potential issues (this problem was brought to their attention several years ago).

Yea, I don't like imagining the countless people who will potentially harm their motors because it seems Purolator isn't very good at building reliable filters, MPR responding to potential issues (this problem was brought to their attention several years ago).

But do like imagining you know something about oil filters, imagining motor harm when there is not the slightest evidence of any, and imagining becoming a nettle under Purolator's saddle by fomenting this falderol in every forum you can join.

Every manufactured product has the occasional defect.

This particular one is pretty minor in the scheme of things.

Nope, a warning for your own sake. Stop baiting and trolling everyone here.

Stop issuing threats and now orders. At least to me.

Originally Posted By: Garak
This is the crux of the argument. You are perfectly within your rights to expect an oil filter to survive an OCI without experiencing media tears - end of story.

If it were me, and it bothered me, I would ask Purolator for a refund, offer to return the evidence, and find another brand.

That would free up a vast amount of energy and time to discuss things a lot more important in the world of oil filters.

If it were me, and it bothered me, I would ask Purolator for a refund, offer to return the evidence, and find another brand.

Yes, but people coming online to complain about a product has been an internet phenomenon from day one. And that's the case specifically because it is easier than writing Purolator and finding a way to ship them an oily mess and get a refund.

Yea, I don't like imagining the countless people who will potentially harm their motors because it seems Purolator isn't very good at building reliable filters, MPR responding to potential issues (this problem was brought to their attention several years ago).

But do like imagining you know something about oil filters, imagining motor harm when there is not the slightest evidence of any, and imagining becoming a nettle under Purolator's saddle by fomenting this falderol in every forum you can join.

Every manufactured product has the occasional defect.

This particular one is pretty minor in the scheme of things.

I wonder how much loose cellulose can pass through a bearing before the bearing gets spun, at 6000rpm...?

Originally Posted By: Garak
Yes, but people coming online to complain about a product has been an internet phenomenon from day one.

This is way beyond that. It's surpassing a lynch mob and heading for a cult.

lol.gif
... oh, the drama!

Lynch mobs can't be stopped, everyone knows that.

I wonder how much loose cellulose can pass through a bearing before the bearing gets spun, at 6000rpm...?

I wouldn't doubt that there are some media fibers that get swept off the jagged torn edge and go down into the oiling system. May not hurt anything, but ya know what ... if there's no tearing then there's no way it could happen. I think I'll go with no tears.
grin.gif

By what process could loose cellulose pass through a bearing?

Give particulars describing its path through the engine.

I wouldn't doubt that there are some media fibers that get swept off the jagged torn edge and go down into the oiling system. May not hurt anything, but ya know what ... if there's no tearing then there's no way it could happen. I think I'll go with no tears.
grin.gif

Sounds reasonable! Lol.
laugh.gif

By what process could loose cellulose pass through a bearing?

Give particulars describing its path through the engine.

Are you really going to try and persuade anyone that this is some kind of impossibility?

Phew... time for dinner.

Are you really going to try and persuade anyone that this is some kind of impossibility?

Almost.

I previously presented examples of near destruction of filters in use. Only one of them was associated with an engine failure, and that one involved the engine failure destroying the filter, not the other way around.

Bits of sludge and other material routinely circulate through the engine. If you look at the crud that fills an oil filter when Auto-Rx is run through it - both their site and BITOG have numerous photos - it makes a bit of cellulose look like angel's breath.

These small tears present no real danger to an engine, and probably don't impact the overall operation of the filter all that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back