Firestone Destination LE2's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is everyones opinion on this tire? Firestone is offering 4 of these mounted balanced for 513 plus taxes for 215-70-16.

Good value for the $. Not too many problems with it. I didn't like the spray pattern with it as water was spraying on m running boards.

But it's a good all season tire. Not too noisy on dry roads. Grips ok on snow like all all season tires. Can't attest to it's longevity as I only had it for 9 monthsr and put on about 8K on them but they still looked good when I sold the car.

I bought a set for my Tahoe last fall. So far, so good. They replaced the P.O.S. factory Bridgestones that just completely [censored] out at 40,000 miles.

Honestly, I can't say these tires have improved my life as some people claim happens with new tires. But, they got me through one of the worst winters we've had in a loooong time, and they are very quiet.

For the price you're quoting, I would definitely get them.

Bought a set in January, They are just OK IMO. My biggest gripe is how much harsher they ride compared to the original LE's. Right now while new, the tread is very squirmy. The tread is about 20% deeper than the originals, and I thought they had the same characteristic in that regard when new.

I bought these because I liked the originals so much. These are nothing like the originals, other than in name. Am going to rate these about 3.5 on a 5 scale. Just not blown away by them. Maybe my opinion will change in the future, as their good attributes come to the surface.

Originally Posted By: mcrn
What is everyones opinion on this tire? Firestone is offering 4 of these mounted balanced for 513 plus taxes for 215-70-16.

What vehicle are they going on? It's one of only 4 tires that they make to fit the specs for my van, I too am interested on reviews.

Got a set from tirebuyer.com have them on 3,000 miles on my SUV. Good traction on dry/wet . A quiet tire smooth running tire. Good value for the money I paid.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: laserred96gt

What vehicle are they going on? It's one of only 4 tires that they make to fit the specs for my van, I too am interested on reviews.

Its going on a 2012 Nissan Rogue and thanks everyone!!

I think I'd prefer a tire made for a car or crossover vehicle, not a truck tire. The LE2 will probably work well, but would a different tire work better?...That is my thought.

I don't understand the trend to pickup truck tires on vehicles that look to me like a re-labeled station wagon. A friend's Honda Element has Michelin LTX M/S tires...work well, but are they the best choice? The local Les Schwab shop likes to put Toyo Open Country H/T on the crossovers. Again, reliable, but the best for these car-like vehicles?

Originally Posted By: Ken2

I think I'd prefer a tire made for a car or crossover vehicle, not a truck tire. The LE2 will probably work well, but would a different tire work better?...That is my thought.

I don't understand the trend to pickup truck tires on vehicles that look to me like a re-labeled station wagon. A friend's Honda Element has Michelin LTX M/S tires...work well, but are they the best choice? The local Les Schwab shop likes to put Toyo Open Country H/T on the crossovers. Again, reliable, but the best for these car-like vehicles?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?...p;autoModClar=S

I know what you are saying but it is designed for a light truck, van, crossover segment according to this info. And the thing is if it performs well.....why not? It should last longer? And in this size it is one of the only H rated tires....there are not many unfortunately.

What disappoints me about them is Firestone didn't cut most of the siping and tread features to full depth. True, that stuff tends to increase tread squirm, but I think that's mitigated with better design, not by running half-depth siping. I like to look at used tires on eBay to, quite literally, get a picture of what the tire will look like when it's half worn. The LE2 looks a lot different half-skinned compared with new, and I bet their performance really falls off as they age.

For example, brand new:

$_12.JPG

And half-worn:

$_12.JPG

Both of those pictures came from eBay auctions of LE2s in the 215/70R16 size.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
What disappoints me about them is Firestone didn't cut most of the siping and tread features to full depth. True, that stuff tends to increase tread squirm, but I think that's mitigated with better design, not by running half-depth siping. I like to look at used tires on eBay to, quite literally, get a picture of what the tire will look like when it's half worn. The LE2 looks a lot different half-skinned compared with new, and I bet their performance really falls off as they age.

For example, brand new:

$_12.JPG

And half-worn:

$_12.JPG

Both of those pictures came from eBay auctions of LE2s in the 215/70R16 size.

Wow....that does not look good....thanks for that!

As an alternative, here's a new BFGoodrich Long Trail T/A Tour:

IMG_1755.JPG

And here's a used one...both in 215/70R16 size:

$_12.JPG

Sure, there is some change as the tire wears, but in my opinion, the LE2 changes more over time than some of its peers.

By the way, both "used" examples here are claimed by their sellers to have 6/32" of tread.

And the LE2 on the bottom is going to be an absolute white knuckle experience in the rain and snow.

Look up towards the top. It still has a way to go to even get to the wear bar.

Exactly why I crossed it off of my list early.

Goodyear did the same thing on some Tracker 2's that I bought at Wal-Mart.... and I saw the same thing on the LE2.

Cooper CTS at 6/32"... Lots of full depth grooves still showing. Closed up only in a thin rib right down the middle.

41403_1.JPG

I put a set of H rated 225/65R17 LE2's on my Jeep Patriot and they were excellent in all climate conditions( dry, rain, and snow )and they were wearing very well just like the original LE's I loved so much. Smooth ride and very quiet too. I had my doubts about them based on the new tread design but they performed just as well as the original LE's IMO.

My new 2014 Jeep Cherokee came with 225/65R17 T rated LE2's which was a bonus IMO. I usually have to swap OEM tires out for something good because the car mfg put some garbage tires on to save $5. Was nice to see a car come with the tire I would have put on myself. They have been great so far and especially this past winter.

I highly recommend them.

Originally Posted By: Ken2

I actually hate the way car mfg's build small suv's and cuv's and use passenger car class tires on them. I want to see light truck and suv class used at least when the vehicle is 4WD/AWD.

My 2011 4WD Jeep Patriot came with passenger car tires and while they were ok I wasn't thrilled with them. Swapped those tires over to the LE2's and it was a new vehicle. I am so glad my 2014 Cherokee came with a real tire on it in the LE2 vs some "car tire".

Last edited:
Quote:
And in this size it is one of the only H rated tires....there are not many unfortunately.

Many of the pickup tires, even with an S speed rating like my truck's Destination A/T, have the cap ply that CapriRacer has educated us about. Look for "1 nylon ply in the tread" in the fine print on the tire sidewall. His recommendation for H-rated is to get that cap ply without further research.

Quote:
The LE2 looks a lot different half-skinned compared with new, and I bet their performance really falls off as they age.

Good reason to wait for the new Michelin Premier SUV tire due out in a few months...and maybe augment to the budget while-u-wait.

I miss the Firestone PV-41 cop car tires and since they discontinued the Firehawk 500, I decided to try these West Lake SU-307 tires..

The West Lakes are H rated and were $70 a tire (235/70r15).. So far after 5000 miles they are holding up well on my 64 Bonneville...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back