Fluid Change News for VAG DSG Owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those with DSG boxes, the prevailing wisdom is that the vehicle must be perfectly level for all drain-outs, regardless of refill method. This seems to follow the particular concern regarding the fluid level sensitivity of these boxes (+/- .2L tolerance, and factory procedure snorkel-based fill and temperature level adjustments). DIY owners typically jack all four corners for the DSG service without question for fear of somehow offending the DSG gods.

As I found zero information elsewhere where top-fills are performed (including all the VW/Audi fora), I will post this here, for the VAG/DSG world at large:

For top-fill DSG fluid changes, you do NOT need to keep the vehicle level. Ramping up the front end (within reason) should allow a full and exact factory drain-out.

We did one yesterday on a set of standard height front ramps. Exactly 4.5L drained out. Refilled with 4.6L from the top (+0.1L for filter), slapped on a new filter, re-calibrated the box with VAG-COM, and it shifts beautifully.

Just like when I had my 09A, people were so scared about measuring and refilling the exact amount.

If the transmission was that finicky the dealers would have killed loads of them in short order because they are not good at what they do either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back