STP oil filter S2870A and S4967

Status
Not open for further replies.
I opened up the two filters S4967 and S2870A, the S4967 seems to be made better than the S2870A. I plan to use the 2870 in the VW 2.0L and 4967 in the Toyota 2.2L. Currently I'm using Bosch Premium in the VW and Supertech in the Toyota.
 -

-

[ March 31, 2005, 02:05 PM: Message edited by: lpcmidst128 ]

The difference you're witnessing is the changeover from Champion Labs (they make all STP filters) regular filters to their new E-core design featuring fiber endcaps (instead of metal) and a plastic center cage (rather than a perforated metal tube--all Champion made filters will presumably be E-cores in the near future when existing stocks of the older design run down. (Champion makes STP, Bosch, Lee, Champ, Valucraft, Supertech, etc.)

quote:

Originally posted by MADMIKE:
That's the infamous Champion clicker valve alright! I'd recognize it anywhere!

I'm not so sure. I used the SuperTech St-4967 filter for years, and it had a conventional thimble-sized coil spring bypass valve in the dome end. It's possible that Champion Labs uses the same leaf spring for both types. The ST-4967 never went to a clicker valve, so I'd be surprised if Champion Labs made the STP filters differently.

Lcpmidst128: What do you see when you see the other side of the endcap?

You're right! I just spotted the hole in the retainer wing and assomed it was a clicker! The hole in the wing is much smaller on clickers.

I should have taken some close up of the insides too but the digital camera doesn't seem to focus well on close ups. But looking inside the hold of the 4967, there is a spring inside. On the otherside of the endcap its just a rubber circle that you can press in, you can feel the spring there. The 2870 inside has just a black plastic cage thing.

-

-

-

-

Two points, the bottom picture looks like it has torn media. Torn media in an unused filter? Torn at the factory, or in disassembly? Could disassembly be the answer to all the torn filters pictured here recently?

The S2870A looks like it has a ton more filter media than the S4967. Of course if the oil goes around the media, I guess it doesn't make too much difference how much there is.

Oh good point. The torn media is from me when taking apart the filter. So yes all the torn media is from me. I don't have a pipe/filter cutter so using whatever I have(screwdriver, hammer, pliers). I wonder whats the line on the inside of the 2870 from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back