Wix 51061 and 51069 no anti drain back valve ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
I called Wix to inquire if their 51069 and 51061 and they said that they dont have anti drain back valves. I thought that Wix was suppose to be such a good filter, why wouldnt these common filters have them ?

quote:

Originally posted by cottonpicker14:
Hi
I called Wix to inquire if their 51069 and 51061 and they said that they dont have anti drain back valves. I thought that Wix was suppose to be such a good filter, why wouldnt these common filters have them ?

Probably for a small block Chevy...they don't need one cause the filter hangs straight down off the block..the oil can't run back into the engine unless you roll the car
grin.gif
...I service a Buick Roadmaster with the 350ci engine...no anti-drainback on that Napa Gold either.

So basically if my filters hand down like they do, I should not worry about the Wix ? Even though they hang down, is there any advantage or disadvantage if the filter has an ADBV ?

quote:

Originally posted by Greaser:

quote:

Originally posted by cottonpicker14:
Hi

Probably for a small block Chevy...they don't need one cause the filter hangs straight down off the block..the oil can't run back into the engine unless you roll the car
grin.gif
...I service a Buick Roadmaster with the 350ci engine...no anti-drainback on that Napa Gold either.

Interesting, because the Napa Gold filters I use for both a prior 350 Chevy and now a 327 Chevy both have ADBV in them, even though the filters hang straight down.

Weird...

cheers.gif

Bob W.

"Even though they hang down, is there any advantage or disadvantage if the filter has an ADBV?"

Even holes-up mounted filters can potentially benefit from ADBVs if they help hold back a "column of oil" in the galleries above the filter. If these galleries drain, there's at least some amount of lubrication gap time before they fill at start-up, so keeping them full can only be a good thing.

That said, if most application catalogs -- Wix, Purolator, Champion, etc. -- list non-ADBV filters for your ride, I'd be comfortable deferring to their recommendations, guessing that an ADBV simply isn't important for your particular engine. In short, an ADBV can only help, not hurt (I believe), but in some engines an ADBV may be of little benefit or impact, if present.
http://www.pureoil.com/ProductFinder.aspx?action=AS

quote:

Originally posted by TheFuror:
Interesting, because the Napa Gold filters I use for both a prior 350 Chevy and now a 327 Chevy both have ADBV in them, even though the filters hang straight down.

Weird...

cheers.gif

Bob W.

The filters may be used in other applications where it is at an angle.

The engine designer specifies just what they want in the filter. In some cases, no antidrainback valve is needed. Some filter makers, in an effort to reduce the number of filter models needed in their catalog, can use a filter with an ADBV where none is needed. If the other parameters of the filter are OK, no harm is done.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back