Typical oil pressures in an engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like most filter bypass springs open up at around 12-18psi but when I google typical oil pressures, people are posting figures WAY above that. Apparently it's normal to idle around 10psi and for every 1000rpm it goes up another 10psi?

Wouldn't the filter be in bypass mode most of the time? I was under the assumption that filters don't bypass except for when the oil is really cold & thick and when near redline.

The filters open when there is a difference between the input and output sides. It doesn't matter what the total pressure is, only the difference.

So if an engine was driving down the highway with 50psi going into the filter and 48psi coming out and the bypass was 10psi it wouldn't be close to opening.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
The filters open when there is a difference between the input and output sides. It doesn't matter what the total pressure is, only the difference.

So if an engine was driving down the highway with 50psi going into the filter and 48psi coming out and the bypass was 10psi it wouldn't be close to opening.

Oh ok I get it now. Are there any figures for typical pressure drops for oil filters? Any tests to see the amount of trapped contaminates needed to cause pressure drop?

Originally Posted By: HKPolice
Originally Posted By: bepperb

Oh ok I get it now. Are there any figures for typical pressure drops for oil filters? Any tests to see the amount of trapped contaminates needed to cause pressure drop?

Enjoy ... real test data from Purolator on a PureOne filter of average size (used on a 405 HP V8). As you can see, with hot oil a filter will flow lots of oil with not much pressure drop across the filter.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...451#Post1619451

As mentioned, oil filters bypass with differential pressure.

This can occur when the engine is cold and the oil is viscous and it can also occur for a moment at operating temp when you go wide open throttle.

Ford modular (4.6L etc) can have 100 lbs pressure at cold startup, but settle down to 25 at hot idle. I believe this is one of the reasons Ford insisted on putting fake gauge in their cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back