Oil Recommended for 2014 Lamborghini Gallardo ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, my Lambo just got delivered today. Here is a picture.

4vfBW4m.jpg

I plan on using this premium oil in it for 10k oil changes to do hectic skids and make the engine go BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM when I go through the McDonalds drive thru.

KKiSXey.gif

Don't hate because I refuse to use Mobil1 as that has tons of iron deposits in it. I also don't want to use Castrol as that would sludge up this fine piece of etalian engineering. I don't use supertech because I'm not poor either.

Originally Posted By: Brent_G
Oh come on Gokan, how could you have that beautiful engine and not get on it every chance you could?
wink.gif

Well, of course.
smile.gif

The no-brainer choice that everyone should agree with would be M1 0W-40 which costs only $25/5qt jug at Walmart although it is heavier than necessary.
That said any API 5W-30 would work just fine for annual 5,000 mile OCIs. The Gallardo has oil gauges so if the owner takes the time to understand how to interpret he'll realize soon enough he doesn't need to run anything heavier.

As a point of interest Dr. Ali Haas in Florida has been running RLI 0W-20 for at least a few years in his wife's Lambo with good results. He is currently running the even lighter MotorCraft 5W-20 syn-blend in it(HTHSV 2.68cP). And yes from what I've heard the OP test spec's are being tested on occasion when higher than normal oil temp's are reached.

My brother likes to change oil himself, he changes oil in his other cars. He knows that I like cars too and we discuss car a lot, he also knows that I know a little about oil so he asked what is the best oil for his new toy.

I told him to have oil changes at the only Lamborghini dealer in Phoenix during the warranty, if possible watch how they do it and do similar when he does it after warranty.

I went to Lamborghini-talk.com and read some discussions about oil type and grade for the car. The grades are all over the place from 5W30 to 10W60. One owner uses Castrol GTX in his Lambo. I think it's insane to use conventional oil in a 500 HP engine that costs more than $40-50k to replace.

Amsoil website shows 10W60 is recommended for Audi R8 and no Amsoil equivalent.

Mobil website shows M1 0W40 is recommended for the Lambo.

M1 0W40 is a very good match for many high performance engines, but I'm a little uneasy about recommend it to my brother. So I post here to see if anyone has a better idea of which brand and grade should be used in a 500 HP V10 engine.

Since he will probably change oil(10-10.5 liters) in the Lambo once a year, if the cost per quart is $10-15 plus cartridge filter the total part is less than $200, he can afford it. I'm not a Boutique Oil fan, but I think I may need to take a look at some brands like Motul, Total ...

I don't know how he drives his Lambo, probably around Phoenix area only, not driving to California or Las Vegas. He probably will not track the car either.

What does it say in the manual? Just refer to dealer? I would expect any of the high end synthetic oils would be fine.

If it were mine and they were lacking on recomendations I'd lean towards Mobil 1 0w40 or one of the Pennzoil Ultra's Ferrari uses, or maybe a Redline.

Any mods planned? I love how Italian cars sound, running one threw the gears totally makes up for the additional cost!

Oh and than drive the heck out of it!

Last edited:
I don't know about the oil. I would sell that sucker quick and buy something I could use conventional oil in and pay off my house!

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
The grades are all over the place from 5W30 to 10W60. One owner uses Castrol GTX in his Lambo. I think it's insane to use conventional oil in a 500 HP engine that costs more than $40-50k to replace.

Why would you think it would be "insane" to run a name brand API "conventional" oil? The difference between a conventional and a GP III synthetic in terms of quality is minimal with many so called conventional oils being syn-blends anyway if not out right syn oils as we have learned with PYB.
On balance, GTX 5W-30 would provide better overall lubrication than any 10W-60 synthetic.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Which "balance" would that be ?

If you don't like the word "balance" replace it with "overall" or forget the qualifier entirely.
For this application, GTX 5W-30 (not that I'd recommending it) but it would provide better lubrication to any 10W-60.

Of course Mobil is in with Ferrari's competitors in F1.

How different is this V10 from the R8's? I'm sure VW has some very specific specifications.

This thread started to drone on at some point, so maybe I missed it, but what EXACTLY does it say in the owners manual about motor oil, tranny fluid, etc??

Word for word. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
Originally Posted By: Olas
IIRC the block & heads use the same architecture as that found in the R8..maybe different in NA but over here in Europe they spec 5w30 for the 5.2 V10, makes no odds which chassis it's in, its the same engine.

Stick with the manufactureres reccomended grade, but buy it from a boutique place like Redline or somewhere else, if I had a $200k car it'd get the most expensive fluids available, changed every week!

'flame hat on, chin strap tight'

Are you sure about that? U.S. R8's get 10W-60.

http://microsites.audiusa.com/ngw/09/med...n_1997-2012.pdf

Hard to believe Europe would get a lighter oil.

-Dennis

Whats hard to believe is most of the posters in this thread have chosen to just totally ignore this TSB or even check if it is applicable to the engine used in this car.
It is their opinion they know better and 10w60 is too thick, period.
I wonder if any one of them would put their money where their mouth is a pay the replacement cost of this engine if the engine blows using their recommendation.

Its possible the oil sites have not taken the TSB into their info base yet.
On a 20K plus engine you use what the manufacturer demands, it doesn't matter if you agree or not unless you are willing to accept the cost of replacing it.

49.gif

If this engine wants really thick oil, why not some conventional 15W-40 HDEO in the Arizona heat? I bet the Castrol 10W-60 HTHSV is not much higher than a 15W-40 HDEO HTSHV (~ 4.3 cP) if at all.

10W-60 will be loaded with VIIs and the HTHSV won't be that strong as a result. The -60 part is not what protects the bearings; it's the HTHSV. Nevertheless, the oil pressure will be unnecessarily high with the 10W-60.

For example the Mobil 1 15W-50 HTHSV is only 4.5 cP. 10W-60 HTHSV could be even smaller than the 15W-50 HTHSV due to the VII effect. (VIIs temporarily shear at high shear rates and lower the HTHSV.) So, once again, 10W-60 doesn't provide more wear protection than 15W-40, as it's not any thicker under the high-temperature, high-shear conditions, which are the conditions that matter for wear.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/NAUSENPVLMOMobil1_15W-50.aspx

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
If this engine wants really thick oil, why not some conventional 15W-40 HDEO in the Arizona heat? I bet the Castrol 10W-60 HTHSV is not much higher than a 15W-40 HDEO HTSHV (~ 4.3 cP) if at all.

10W-60 will be loaded with VIIs and the HTHSV won't be that strong as a result. The -60 part is not what protects the bearings; it's the HTHSV. Nevertheless, the oil pressure will be unnecessarily high with the 10W-60.

While I have played engineer and used everything from 5w20 to 20w50 in one of our Mopar 440 engines I would run what the book specs in a car like this.

They have a reason for 10w60, and I wouldn't deviate from that without serious research and input from more than forums.

I don't have the owner manual so I don't know exactly what oil, transmission fluid, gear fluid ... are recommended.

CATERHAM, the main reason 99% of drivers choose conventional over synthetic because of lower cost. My opinion is that saving less than $30-50 a year with dino oil in a $200k car is insane. I know that you like oil as thin as possible (and as thick as necessary), I used Pennzoil Platinum 5W20 in my MB E430 5-7 years ago, before that it had M1 0W40 all the time as recommended in the manual. Since then I never use straight M1 0W40 in it, as of now it has 60% 0W20 with 40% 0W40.

Same thing for tire, it is not acceptable to install Nankang or Federal or other no name Chinese tires on this car.

If someone else asked me about oil for this type of car, I would decline to recommend anything because I don't know anything about it. But he's my brother so when asked I need to find out what is best for his dream car. Where is a better place to ask about oil if not here ?

When I see him I will read the manual to find out exactly what fluids are recommended. Lamborghini-talk.com didn't have good info about it.

The comment about sell the car to pay off the house, he already paid off his house several years ago. His housing expenses are property tax, insurance, maintenance, utilities ... No mortgage. He has money to pay cash for his dream car, but he's too cheap to pay for it himself so his son quietly saving his own money to buy his dad the car of his dream.

I'm very happy for my brother that he finally has what he really like, and I would like to help him maintain the car as best as I can.

Someone said that this topic is more like bragging. No, it isn't my car so what do I brag about ? My newest car is more than 10 years old now, I like them all but none costs more than $15-20k.

Maybe your nephew can float you a couple bucks so you don't have to drive a turd anymore LOL - just kidding

lol.gif

In the Arizona heat, 5w40 is recommended. AGIP & Pennzoil Euro are good choices. I know AGIP was factory fill for Gallardo and Murcie in the past.

The dealer oil change will run $400-500 (10qt of oil + $25 filter + overpriced labor).

Your dad is gonna enjoy the Arizona vehicle reg fee. $$$$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back