Quaker State oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all....I was just browsing through Menards at lunch when I stumbled upon their automotive section. They had a decent selection of Quaker State oil filters on hand. I inspected one for my Caprice, and it looked like a Purolator Premium Plus. I searched through some of the BITOG archives, but didn't seem to find anything definitive that it is a Purolator. Anyone have the final scoop?? If it is, it's not bad for $1.96 (regular price).

The buy out was a long time ago and all the QS filters I've seen are Purolator, I'd say the Fram changover was a flop. That study is pretty old, and a lot is out of date. They are probably good filters but you aren't saving alot over a regular Purolator.

-T

I've got both Purolators and Quaker State Filters in the garage for my fleet right now and they look to be the same filter -- even down to the oval holes in the baseplate on the L10111/QS3387A filters for my Malibu.

I picked up a mess of those a couple of weeks ago when Menard's had their "bag sale" -- 17% off and then my employee discount made it a bargain too good to pass up.

quote:

This filter has changed from being a Purolator to a Fram Extra Guard. This may have been a result of Pennzoil aquiring Quaker State brand name.

This is true even in Canada, unfortunetly.
frown.gif

quote:

Originally posted by DreamDealer:
I believe the newer white painted QS filters are Purolators and the older green painted ones are Frams.

I agree with you, I just bough 2 QS3387A today from Canadian tire at 6.99 each, they look very similar to purolator and not at all like fram

Most QS filters are made by Purolator except for a few oddballs that might be made by FRAM.

Let me give you a little filter history.

In 1985 the Pennzoil Corporation owned the Purolator Filter Company and all Pennzoil filters were made by Purolator. At that time, FRAM made QS filters.

For some reason in 1989, Pennzoil sold Purolator to someone else (can't remember the name). Still believe that was a dumb move on our part.

Anyway, at that time FRAM was the number one selling filter in the country, and in the installed market, Pennzoil was number two. The new owners of Purolator could not keep up with our demand so we struck up a deal with FRAM.

Now, since QS was our number one competitor at that time, they would not consider having FRAM make both filters, so they cancelled their FRAM contract and signed with Purolator.

And as they say, the rest is history (almost).

Since Pennzoil bought QS and then Shell bought both of us, our filter volume has really grown. There is no one mfg that can supply all Pennzoil, QS, and Shell brand filters that are sold in North America. Pennzoil filters sold in the Southwest and Southern states are most likely made by FRAM. The Pennzoil filters sold in the Midwest are a mix of FRAM and Purolator. The Pennzoil filters sold in the Northeastern states that border Canada are probably made by Purolator. I believe most Pennzoil filters sold in Canada are made by Purolator.

All the Pennzoil oil filters I have come across in lower New York state are the Fram version. I haven't seen Quaker State oil filters in some time but the last ones I did see were Purolaters.

This is great...

Living in the Northeast my Supertech oil is made by exxonmobil, while other peeps get Warren. My Pennzoil filters are purolators, and others get fram.

Of course, our car bodies are made of rust, whereas down south they're actually steel.
grin.gif

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

I can understand the rust issue. Moved from Texas to Wisconsin 15 years ago. Never seen so much rust. But I don't sweat near as bad as I use to.
grin.gif

i asked the canadian tire clerk who supplied the new white qs filters and he said purolator.. the old green ones are fram

Definitely, the new white cans with green lettering available at Canadian Tire are Purolators. I've used two on my Beetle recently for Auto-Rx treatments, however, once they are done, I'll be switching back to the OE Mann made filters. Now there's a quality filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back