P1 and an Autolite (Fram)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been fixing up my former 01 Cherokee for the new owner, and had to dump one filter a little early. Then, I did a 1 hour run to flush the crankcase so I got two filters in quick succession

First is a pl30001 with a few kmiles. Bought late last fall. Nice to see the usual p1 perfection with all the worry about purolator classics lately:

Next the cheapie with only about 30 miles: a Fram-built Autolite. Everything intact, but holy wide pleats and insufficient area!! Other than the Ultra, nothing has changed my mind about Fram= "no thanks."

The entry level 16 series is one of Frams "ugliest" filters no doubt, but as usual it held up fine. If I'm going to run an orange can I prefer the PH3600 (FL400s) equivalent instead of the PH16 if room is available. More pleats, better spacing on the PH3600.

Does look like an older P1 in great shape.

As always, thanks for cutting and posting.

Both filters did the job you wanted them to do. Now that Autolite is one UGLY filter, but its built BY Fram for Autolite. Frams own filters do look better than that, not that looks mean anything anyway. Puro Classics LOOK better then the basic Extra Guard orange can Fram, BUT they tear media while the Fram holds up just fine. Looks aren't everything.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Both filters did the job you wanted them to do. Now that Autolite is one UGLY filter, but its built BY Fram for Autolite. Frams own filters do look better than that, not that looks mean anything anyway. Puro Classics LOOK better then the basic Extra Guard orange can Fram, BUT they tear media while the Fram holds up just fine. Looks aren't everything.

FRAM owns Autolite.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
The entry level 16 series is one of Frams "ugliest" filters no doubt, but as usual it held up fine. If I'm going to run an orange can I prefer the PH3600 (FL400s) equivalent instead of the PH16 if room is available. More pleats, better spacing on the PH3600.

"as usual, it held up fine" He ran it for all of an hour! I wouldn't call that much of a test of durability! Just strikes me as an odd statement!

Also remember they use less pleats because the media is higher quality than some entry level filters. The efficiency is usually pretty good on the PH models.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
I've been fixing up my former 01 Cherokee for the new owner, and had to dump one filter a little early. Then, I did a 1 hour run to flush the crankcase so I got two filters in quick succession

First is a pl30001 with a few kmiles. Bought late last fall. Nice to see the usual p1 perfection with all the worry about purolator classics lately:

Next the cheapie with only about 30 miles: a Fram-built Autolite. Everything intact, but holy wide pleats and insufficient area!! Other than the Ultra, nothing has changed my mind about Fram= "no thanks."

I thought we were all freaking out about the P1's here...

Originally Posted By: CHARLIEBRONSON21

I seems to be only certain Purolator filter numbers that have reported to have media tears.

Not me. I think the problem, if there really is more frequent tearing than with any other similar filter, is with the Classic.

But FWIW I installed a Fram XG8a for the next normal OCI.

Originally Posted By: Russ300H
Originally Posted By: KCJeep

"as usual, it held up fine" He ran it for all of an hour! I wouldn't call that much of a test of durability! Just strikes me as an odd statement!

It is odd because I missed that part. Good catch. I doubt it would have looked much different at 3k based on the others I've seen, but it woulda been darker. Doh!

Yeah, that 1-hour run was a waste of a cheap filter and cheap fill of oil... but good for my peace of mine knowing that any gasket shavings and dislodged bits of... whatever (there's no sludge in there) got taken care of before a long OCI. Yeah, I overkill things. :)

I'd have taken some pictures under the valve cover and behind the filter adapter, but there really was nothing to see. And cast iron engines always look dark in photos- no nice bright white aluminum to look spotless. I'm a little sad to see this Jeep go even though its a plain-jane 2wd automatic, but I haven't been driving it and its going to someone who really needs a reliable/affordable vehicle badly. All for the best.

Not me. I think the problem, if there really is more frequent tearing than with any other similar filter, is with the Classic.

The P1 is definately suspect... actually I think most of the Puro-failures were P1 (including mine P1 failure).

1 hour is not enough time to show if a P1 fails. I have about 700mi. before 3000 is up on my P1 (I know, short oil change, complete waste).

Quote:
..... 1 hour is not enough time to show if a P1 fails....

True, however in this case if you read the OP's post said P1 was used for ~3k miles, not 1 hour. The Autolite was used for 1 hour. 3k miles not exactly a torture test for the P1 either, but considering a recently posted Tough Guard got raves for about the same miles, seems fair to me. And based on the look of this PL30001, I'd speculate it would have been no problem going twice that far.

As for assembly string, seems mostly reserved now for use in larger filters.

As for the Autolite, seeing it for the first time, I might pay a ~$1 for it...maybe.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

As for the Autolite, seeing it for the first time, I might pay a ~$1 for it...maybe.

I paid less than that for it... the only reason I used it was that it was a gimme.... ;-)

What does kinda make me shudder is that I got it from a Jeep specialty shop I use from time to time- its what they use whenever they do an oil change. :-/ I can see that from a quick-lube place, but these guys do top notch work, quite a bit of custom work, and cater to a niche market. You'd think they'd go a little further upscale.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

I paid less than that for it... the only reason I used it was that it was a gimme.... ;-)

Based solely on it's appearance, a fair price.
56.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back