Napa Gold VS Napa Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: asharris7
I usually only run the filter around 5-6k. might be overkill for my short OCI. VCM engine is rough on oil. Seems like Honda and Toyota are only concerned about flow vs filtration.

A full synthetic media filter with 50% @ 20 microns efficiency should flow like crazy.

"Flow" is kind of a misunderstood parameter since most oil filters are 15 times less flow restrictive than the engine's oiling circuit. And with a positive displacement oil pump, the resistance of the filter is invisible unless the oil pump is at pressure relief - which usually only occurs at high RPM with cold thick oil.

It's just a shame I've been using the Napa Plat's since they came out. I have like 4 left and 8 puro syns. Use them or sell them is the question?

The Purolator Synthetic has a much better filtering efficiency rating than the XP/Platinum.

Puro Syn is 99% @ 25 microns.
http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/products/oil_filters/Pages/SyntheticOilFilters.aspx

Fram Ultra is a notch above the Puro Syn with 99% > 20 microns (which basically means @ 20 microns)
http://fram.com/oil-filters/fram-ultra-synthetic-oil-filter.aspx

^^^ Notice that most of those filters are for Mazda or Honda applications. Seems like the Asian car manufacturers don't care much about high filtering efficiency.

It seems like Donaldson is making the filters to the manufacturer's specifications as far as the efficiency rating goes. I did see some of their filters with an efficiency rating of 50% at 5 micron.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
It seems like Donaldson is making the filters to the manufacturer's specifications as far as the efficiency rating goes.

I agree, that's seems to be the case.

But when you read the efficiency rating foot note for Purolator it only lists the PSL30001. Fram footnote only lists 3 filters for efficiency.

Here's the update on the e-mail I send to Napa filter (which was handed over to Wix)

My message was simple and straight to the point.
Quote:
Hello. I recently brought a Napa Platinum oil filter for my vehicle and was looking into it more on your website. However, I couldn't find some information about it. I wanted to check if the filter can handle at least a 15,000 miles change interval and what is the efficiency rating on it?

Their reply
Quote:
Oil Change intervals are pre-determined by the engine manufacturers (OEM's), Not by the filter manufacturers.

Technical Service Bulletin 98-1
Extended Oil Drain Intervals

Oil service intervals are pre-determined by engine manufacturers (OEM's) and are designed to provide maximum engine protection under a wide variety of conditions. While a majority of equipment...........

(3 PAGE LATER...)

Thank you for your interest in WIX Filters.

I kid you not, they copy and pasted this entire pdf onto the e-mail with like three different fonts. (link below)
http://www.aftermarketsuppliers.org/Councils/Filter-Manufacturers-Council/TSBs-2/English/98-1R1.pdf

Oh WIX Catalog Department, you're just as bad as Purolator hotline. I might return my Napa Platinum now...

^^^ Did they even tell you the efficiency number? I'll take a wild guess and say it will be "50% @ 20 microns".
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
^^^ Did they even tell you the efficiency number? I'll take a wild guess and say it will be "50% @ 20 microns".
grin.gif

I wish they did but they didn't. They however left their department phone number.

Originally Posted By: MNL
grin.gif

I wish they did but they didn't. They however left their department phone number.

Be sure to ask for Mickey Mouse when you call, sounds like he'll be in!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: MNL
grin.gif

Allow me to go ahead and burst your bubble right now, so you're not too disappointed when you call.

The Wix "tech" line and/or "customer service" line are staffed by (my perception) low wage folks who will read you canned boiler plate answers from the very source of garbage you already got in an email. A few of the times I've called, I could hear them typing my quesiton in as there was an awkward pause, only to hear the bovine-expulsion prepared answer a few seconds later.

I spent weeks and weeks, calling and emailing, trying to get info about the Wix XP (Napa Plat) filter. Specifically my quest was to find out about the 50% @ 20um silliness. After all my efforts, and talking directly with the "tech" line, I got zilch. It was clear I know WAY MORE than the idiot on the other end of the phone when it comes to filters, and they are only prepared to give you marketing-based answers from the computer source they reference, be it email or phone call. My emails were met with the same general disregard for any technical discussion whatsoever. Finally, after several calls, I was transferred to an "engineer" phone line. I left a message that was never returned.

I will not go so far as to denegrate the Wix filters; generally I have respect for the traditional Wix/NG product and have used them with great satisfaction. But their customer service/info department sucks; it sucks so very BADLY it's just hard to get past. I used to be a Wix fanatic and was loyal to them, but no longer. It's not that I'd shy away from a good Wix/NG deal; the Wix/NG is a solid unit and if found at a good price, is hard to beat. But their customer service completely turns me off, and I have no longer have reason to have any loyalty for them. I have found that the Fram TG is a solid performer, esaily attained at W/M, and for as good a price; it's my new go-to filter. So long, Wix.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
A few of the times I've called, I could hear them typing my quesiton in as there was an awkward pause, only to hear the bovine-expulsion prepared answer a few seconds later.

I guess we're a bunch of odd ducks. The average, non-BITOG type inquiry they probably get is about people wondering if they can use the specified Wix because their dealer was browbeating them into OEM, how long the filter is good for, or perhaps even whether an upsize is advisable. Of course, for such situations, boilerplate is fine - it won't void your warranty, the filters are good for the factory mandated OCI, and use the part number specified for your vehicle.

You go much beyond that, and there's probably a deer in the headlights look if you were there watching.
wink.gif
I dare you to call Wix tech support and ask for an explanation of how to translate beta ratio to efficiency at particle size. You might hear someone fall off of his chair.

Originally Posted By: Garak
You go much beyond that, and there's probably a deer in the headlights look if you were there watching.
wink.gif
I dare you to call Wix tech support and ask for an explanation of how to translate beta ratio to efficiency at particle size. You might hear someone fall off of his chair.

Seems these filter manufacturer "Tech Lines" should have at least one "guru" in the place that could take on all the super technical questions that come in.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I will not go so far as to denegrate the Wix filters; generally I have respect for the traditional Wix/NG product and have used them with great satisfaction. But their customer service/info department sucks; it sucks so very BADLY it's just hard to get past. I used to be a Wix fanatic and was loyal to them, but no longer. It's not that I'd shy away from a good Wix/NG deal; the Wix/NG is a solid unit and if found at a good price, is hard to beat. But their customer service completely turns me off, and I have no longer have reason to have any loyalty for them.

I had the same feeling with Purolator. You may recall a thread I made awhile back about Purolator's hotline; long story short, it was a nightmare. Both Wix and Purolator make good filter but with a customer service like this, it leaves a bit of a sour taste. As a large company, they should know how much customer service matters. However, they sell millions of filter through service centers and DIYs so a phone call once in a while doesn't count much.

On a lighter note, Peak motor oil and coolant was but my "whatever" fluid; I'll use it if it's on sale. However, I got very professional and technical responses when I e-mailed them about their coolant and called them about their 0W-20. They have my respect and one of my choice even if there's "better" motor oil on sale.

I use the Napa Plat (same as xp) should I be worried about that filtration rate? Thanks

Yes you should. Right now those 20 micron size particles are grinding away your bearings as we speak.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I use the Napa Plat (same as xp) should I be worried about that filtration rate? Thanks

Yes you should. Right now those 20 micron size particles are grinding away your bearings as we speak.

Ha! Thanks, now I can't sleep at night! (sarcasm)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back