Best OEM filter for 4 cyl. Toyota engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a lot of Toyota OEM oil filters compatible with all of their V6/I6/V8 engines:
90915-20003, 20004, YZZB5, YZZB9, YZZD1, YZZD5, etc.

It appears that 4 cylinder Toyota engines use a slightly different oil filter design (smaller diameter gasket). How many OEM oil filter options are available for the 4 cyl. Toyotas, and are there any opinions on which one is the best?

The best one seems to be the one that is largest while still fitting on your engine.

I personally like the Denso first time fit filters, as they have a prelubed, high-quality gasket, a plastic cap that keeps the filter clean, and a torque-proof baseplate that cant be overtightened. We have had EXCELLENT results in our 94 previa (185k+ miles), a 94 acura integra (162k+), and a 94 mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 (115k+).

The first number, 90915-20003 is a nippon part number, I believe. Nippon made filters seem to be really good too.

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
The best one seems to be the one that is largest while still fitting on your engine.

I personally like the Denso first time fit filters, as they have a prelubed, high-quality gasket, a plastic cap that keeps the filter clean, and a torque-proof baseplate that cant be overtightened. We have had EXCELLENT results in our 94 previa (185k+ miles), a 94 acura integra (162k+), and a 94 mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 (115k+).

The first number, 90915-20003 is a nippon part number, I believe. Nippon made filters seem to be really good too.

I looked up Denso and found the filter aren't that expensive.$5.82
Though there's the cost of shipping.
Still worth it if 2-3 filters are ordered.
I use Amsoil filters and the cost for a '05 Toyota 1.8L is $11.35.Mobil1 at least that.
The part# of the Denso is 150-1000 according to the Denso site.
Not a Nippon made Denso?

http://www.densoproducts.com/more_info.asp?AAIA=1426878&pid=13961

no, nippon filters are not the same as denso filters. Ive held them up side by side, and although comprable in dimension, IMO they arent the same (realize that often for japanese cars, there is LARGE variety in filter dimension by manufacturer for the same car/engine/etc). Im not really sure how those companies work, as some parts are nippon, some are denso, and some are 'nippondenso'. All of the parts are usually about the same price, but apparently competitors to one another.

Look on a number of sites, including ones that arent necessarily toyota parts sites. You can buy from mercedesshop dot com, mbz dot org, and between those two, can usually get some really cheap parts notonly for mercedes and euro cars, but also for the toyotas, acuras, etc.

I usually piggyback filters on with other typical PM or necessary parts orders. This works pretty well to get enough spending for free shipping from places like mercedesshop. Also, if you have multiple cars, it isnt hard to rack up $100 in PM parts like air, oil, trans, fuel filters, sparkplugs, etc., and then those sites will give you free shipping, so youve got it made!

March 04, 2005, 11:39 AM: Message edited by: JHZR2 ]

Not really, IMO. Just go to one of the sites, click the parts link, put in make, model, year, and search for filter.

Youll need other parts sooner or later, so why not buy and save the shipping. PM is always necessary. I can usually spend too much money in NO time at all!

I dont blame you for using amsoil filters. They look good...

cheers.gif

quote:

Not really, IMO. Just go to one of the sites, click the parts link, put in make, model, year, and search for filter.

Youll need other parts sooner or later, so why not buy and save the shipping. PM is always necessary. I can usually spend too much money in NO time at all!

I dont blame you for using amsoil filters. They look good...

cheers.gif

I use Amsoil oil filter because Amsoil say it can go 12500 miles.
Haven't seen any other filter company say that.

On Denso or Nippon.
I'm afraid I'll order what I think is the better
Denso or Nippon and get the cheaper quality one.

very true re: the amsoil: theyre great filters, no denying that, and IMO given the price are a pretty good deal.

We use the denso first time fit filters for 13k OCIs on the 94 toyota previa with excellent results. Wear rates are amazing and no signs of insolubles, etc

quote:

very true re: the amsoil: theyre great filters, no denying that, and IMO given the price are a pretty good deal.

We use the denso first time fit filters for 13k OCIs on the 94 toyota previa with excellent results. Wear rates are amazing and no signs of insolubles, etc

I usually do a change twice a year and go 7000 miles on a filter and Mobil 1.
Just feel the 12500 mile Amsoil will definitely gives me the 7000 miles without a problem.
But would go with a cheaper filter if it's good too.

quote:

no, nippon filters are not the same as denso filters. Ive held them up side by side, and although comprable in dimension, IMO they arent the same (realize that often for japanese cars, there is LARGE variety in filter dimension by manufacturer for the same car/engine/etc). Im not really sure how those companies work, as some parts are nippon, some are denso, and some are 'nippondenso'. All of the parts are usually about the same price, but apparently competitors to one another.

Look on a number of sites, including ones that arent necessarily toyota parts sites. You can buy from mercedesshop dot com, mbz dot org, and between those two, can usually get some really cheap parts notonly for mercedes and euro cars, but also for the toyotas, acuras, etc.

I usually piggyback filters on with other typical PM or necessary parts orders. This works pretty well to get enough spending for free shipping from places like mercedesshop. Also, if you have multiple cars, it isnt hard to rack up $100 in PM parts like air, oil, trans, fuel filters, sparkplugs, etc., and then those sites will give you free shipping, so youve got it made!

Thanks.
Seems like a lot research for a Nippon.
I think I may just stick with Amsoil filters.

Not sure where this thread is headed now, but my original question was what Toyota OEM filter part #s are meant for the I4 engines, and which one of them is considered the best?

For my 5SFE Camry, I use either the 90915-YZZA2 (smaller) or 90915-YZZA1 (bigger)

quote:

Are the Denso firts fit filters better than the other OEM Japanese style filters out there in your opinion? Has anyone looked at the bypass valve on these?

It's common thought in the Land Cruiser world that the 20004's are superior. You can also look up the 41010's which have the same mounting but much larger area...

The YZZs are considered of much lesser quality and design.

I use the FL400s on a 2000 1.8L corolla and several 2003/2004 Tundra/Sequioa 4.7L's.
I also plan on using the FL1a on the 4.7l at the next OCI.

quote:

plan on using the FL1a on the 4.7l

You should investigate the 90915-41010 Japanese Toyota filters if you havn't already. Top-notch quality and filtration, they are NOT the cheapos that Toyota usually hands out.

quote:

Originally posted by unDummy:
I use the FL400s on a 2000 1.8L corolla and several 2003/2004 Tundra/Sequioa 4.7L's.
I also plan on using the FL1a on the 4.7l at the next OCI.

I really like the FL400s. Great value.

What's wrong with a Super Tech ST4967 in this application?

It won't kill the engine or do anything to shorten it's life.

quote:

What's wrong with a Super Tech ST4967 in this application?

It won't kill the engine or do anything to shorten it's life.

SOLD!
grin.gif

Thats what I'm using or Purolater(sp) filters.

For me, no need to spend more than $4 for a filter.
dunno.gif

Plus, If I have to face the dreaded stealership for warrenty work, one less thing to have to deal with. At least I used what is spec'd for the car.
nono.gif
(And changing your no spec'd filter out before you have it towed to the dealer will not work... First thing they check is the oil and filter....) I've asked if the car is not running or making no nice noises from the engine area..

I've torn apart the Toyota OEM filters and while they are made well, I think esp in the cold, there would be some flow problems...
confused.gif

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

PS: Yes, I am worried about warrenty work and problems. Been there before...
rolleyes.gif
Hopefully I'll not need any..

quote:

Originally posted by PulMax:
For my 5SFE Camry, I use either the 90915-YZZA2 (smaller) or 90915-YZZA1 (bigger)

Thanks. Sounds like if I want to stick with OEM, the 90915-YZZA1 is the way to go. Any idea in which car it comes stock? I can't think of any 4cyl. Toyota engine bigger than the one used in the Camry, and the Camry comes with the 90915-YZZA2.

quote:

Originally posted by Pskhaat:
It's common thought in the Land Cruiser world that the 20004's are superior. You can also look up the 41010's which have the same mounting but much larger area...

The YZZs are considered of much lesser quality and design.

I know the 20004's well, but this is the first I've heard of the 90915-41010. Is it simply a longer version of the 90915-20004 and made in Japan? Or is it a different design altogether?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back