Picked up an E-Z-GO Golf Cart. Oil question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2003 model cart will be mainly used at our place at the lake in the summer. The cart has a rear seat and will be used to shuttle family members down to the water and back up the very steep 1/2 mile launch ramp to our place.

Weather in the summer is typically 110+ degrees air temperature, cooling off to the lower 90's at night.

E-Z-GO manual calls for 10w-30 for light use/load. The manual under heavy load in temperatures over 40 degrees calls for a 10w-40 oil. The manual doesn't call for an certain type of oil spec.

I picked up Mobil1 10w-40 High Mileage (only 10w-40 synthetic oil I could find at the store). Will I be ok running this oil or should I run a 10w-30? Could I run any "X"w-40 oil?

I've got a 2002 Yamaha gas cart that calls for 10w-30. I use Napa full synthetic and the engine doesn't use a drop of oil. Your choice of 10w-40 synthetic seems fine as well, especially for those temps.

I'm sure everyone will think this is an oddball answer... but in all honesty, I say why not use a motorcycle/atv oil? I mean, I don't know if it does (and I doubt it does) call for Jaso certification, but it IS a golf cart, and so in an odd way, since it's a small engine, it's probably similar to an atv's engine. Thus, I'd use an atv oil in it. And, heck, since recently some of Rotella's line-up got Jaso certification, why not use that? It's a really good quality oil, and I know many users quite happy with its performance in their atv's, truck's, and tractors, so I'd say it should do well in a golf cart.

Originally Posted By: Triton_330
I'm sure everyone will think this is an oddball answer... but in all honesty, I say why not use a motorcycle/atv oil? I mean, I don't know if it does (and I doubt it does) call for Jaso certification, but it IS a golf cart, and so in an odd way, since it's a small engine, it's probably similar to an atv's engine. Thus, I'd use an atv oil in it. And, heck, since recently some of Rotella's line-up got Jaso certification, why not use that? It's a really good quality oil, and I know many users quite happy with its performance in their atv's, truck's, and tractors, so I'd say it should do well in a golf cart.

I see your point. The golf cart doesn't have a wet clutch system though so JASO MA isn't needed.

I know "High Mileage" oils have a few different additives, I want to make sure I'll be fine running it in the cart.

You don't say how many "miles" or how much use your cart has had. If it's been lightly used like mine, I'd stick with a 10w-30 grade specified in the manual. If it's a beater, I would think the Mobil1 HM would be acceptable.

I can tell you that based upon our experience with carts at work you should have bought a Club Car, although for the relatively light and not daily use you'll put your cart to, I'm sure that it'll hold up just fine.
At work, our garage gives the carts a straight thirty which seems to work fine at all temperatures.
M1 HM 10W-40 should work very well in your cart's engine.
Probably well worth the added cost.
These little one-lung flatheads (I assume that's what your cart has) seem to live forever with any oil, so a good oil like the M1 should be a good investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back