SuperTech Full Syn doesn't meet MFG specifications

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Thanks. So based on these, ST wouldn't be able to meet certain mfg specs such as BMW LL-01 or MB 229.5 or VW 502.00, or the more generic ACEA A3/B4.

But it can meet many other specs, as indicated in that link.

I would not really call ACEA A3/B4 "generic". It is actually fairly specific.

Poor choice of words on my part. What I meant was that it's a baseline spec that many of the Euro manufacturers use as a starting point to develop their own specs.

Poor choice of words on my part. What I meant was that it's a baseline spec that many of the Euro manufacturers use as a starting point to develop their own specs.

No worries.

Yeah, the modern Euro-makes are a bit different and are designed around extended drains. I think many have 1y/10,000mi+ OCI requirements listed in the manual (The EU is a bit different with resource conservation). So, if one has a recent Euro vehicle and plans to do the extended oil-change interval, then yes, this is one application where ST might not meet that requirement. Now, if you are changing the oil 3-5K regardless, then the application might be a bit more... grey.

Last edited:
Now, if you are changing the oil 3-5K regardless,

Ha! Yes, the OP changes his oil every 2K miles.

Now, if you are changing the oil 3-5K regardless,

Ha! Yes, the OP changes his oil every 2K miles.

wink.gif

At that point, unless he is using this:
http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/bullet.htm

he has nothing to worry about. ST is not the "best oil" but it is a good oil and above par for most vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Yeah. The oil will pass the tests, but if they were to do that, it would cost more money and , ultimately, it would be passed onto the consumer.

I am sure that Supertech oils have no problem selling. It's the cheapest oil, transmission fluid in WalMart. There are a lot of people that either choose or have to use the cheapest oil available; they don't have to meet OE certifications to get it to sell.

I've spoken with the people at Warren who actually do the blending about their Mag1 and other oils, and was told point blank that the blend they do for ST would not pass dexos1 testing. They wouldn't elaborate on what part(s) of the test that it would come up short, proprietary and all.

And no, Mag1 and ST oils are not the same, not even close. That was the original reason I contacted them.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
I've spoken with the people at Warren who actually do the blending about their Mag1 and other oils, and was told point blank that the blend they do for ST would not pass dexos1 testing. They wouldn't elaborate on what part(s) of the test that it would come up short, proprietary and all.

And no, Mag1 and ST oils are not the same, not even close. That was the original reason I contacted them.

Link? Pic? Email...Evidence? Not accusing but this is the "interwebz"... and there must be evidence. ST Syn is one of those: "neither confirm nor deny" oils with Dexos. Partially since we do not even know the Dexos specs.

Yes, Mag1 and ST are not the same. That being said, private-label WPP oils tend to test out within a certain specific window.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: threeputtpar

Link? Pic? Email...Evidence? Not accusing but this is the "interwebz"... and there must be evidence. ST Syn is one of those: "neither confirm nor deny" oils with Dexos. Partially since we do not even know the Dexos specs.

Yes, Mag1 and ST are not the same. That being said, private-label WPP oils tend to test out within a certain specific window.

Sorry, no links or emails. I called their toll free number and first spoke with a customer service rep who wasn't able to answer my question so she forwarded me to someone that could. He stated that he was one of the chemists there.

I have zero proof that what he told me was true, but I also don't have any reason to believe he was lying to me. I therefore give him the benefit of the doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back