Is Kroger/Food4Less gas supplied by shell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know Shell partners with Kroger/Food4Less stores. You get .10/gallon off at Shell station for every hundred dollars you spend with your Kroger rewards card.

Does it logically follow that the Kroger/Food4Less stores that have gas stations attached to them are supplied by Shell fuels?

Unlikely. Most likely it's bought as a commodity. In any case, it's been explained on this board that most fuel is basically a fungible commodity where any fuel terminal can supply any brand name. If there's a requirement for a particular additive, each brand will have an additive tank set up at the terminal, and that gets mixed in on delivery. Then there might be one or more generic additives that are available for the no-names, supermarkets, convenience stores, etc. There might be exceptions, such as specific loading of 93 octane or perhaps fuel without oxygenates.

Around here, Chevron (Texaco in some markets) partners with Safeway supermarkets. Safeway also has its own gas stations. There was some controversy over their prices, which were suspected of being loss leaders to bring in customers to shop in their supermarkets. In the end they killed their discount for using their rewards card, but offer a cash/debit discount now. I believe their fuel is simply bought on the open market and a generic additive is mixed in at the loading terminal.

http://www.safeway.com/ShopStores/Reward...y_FulChv_br_ggl

Several year ago, when the Kroger store put in a gas station, I checked their website.

It stated that their gasoline was supplied by Shell, but I never saw a Shell supply truck filling their tanks. So who knows. Possibly they have a different supplier now.

I do know that their gasoline worked well with my vehicles as well as my sons, and they were on average about .10 cents cheaper than the majors.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Kroger gas is either Marathon or Shell around here, usually hauled by a private tanker such as Prescott or similar.

Sunoco also.

The base stock is probably refined by whoever is the closest or more economical. Here in the FL panhndle it is probably all refined by Shell near Mobile AL or Chevron in Pascagoula MS just by convenience.

The additive pack in the no-name gas is likely just a basic package and not the top-tier rated Shell or Chevron additives though.

Originally Posted By: moklock
The base stock is probably refined by whoever is the closest or more economical. Here in the FL panhndle it is probably all refined by Shell near Mobile AL or Chevron in Pascagoula MS just by convenience.

The additive pack in the no-name gas is likely just a basic package and not the top-tier rated Shell or Chevron additives though.

They have little incentive to go higher than the minimum required level. The brand names advertising high cleaning power need to in order to back up their claims. Even Costco only claimed that their fuel (before their current "Kirkland Signature Gasoline" campaign) had to meed minimum EPA standards that all fuel must meet. When they had an incomplete rollout, most of the stations that were using fuel with additive added at the depot probably had a minimum required amount.

Originally Posted By: Hollow
I know Shell partners with Kroger/Food4Less stores. You get .10/gallon off at Shell station for every hundred dollars you spend with your Kroger rewards card.

Does it logically follow that the Kroger/Food4Less stores that have gas stations attached to them are supplied by Shell fuels?
The only logical thing to extract is that Kroger is contracted with Shell to be apart of the Kroger Plus Card promotion.

Thinking about it logistically, by partnering with Shell, Kroger can cover a lot more area than they would through exclusively using their own stations.

Bottomline - No, there is no indicator that Shell supplies Kroger/Turkey Hill gas stations by participating in the Kroger Plus Card program.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Kroger gas is either Marathon or Shell around here, usually hauled by a private tanker such as Prescott or similar.

Ditto for Dayton - mostly Shell trucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back