Oil recommendation for acura/honda k20 engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys! i have a csx type s with k20 engine that is identical to a 2006-2011 honda civic si with k20 engine.. Car calls for 5w30... So what would be a good 5w30 to use on this engine? Also, would following the MM be a good idea or changing the oil earlier might be better since the k20 is a pretty high reving engine.. I usually hit vtec maybe once or twice a day ....

Is the motul x clean 5w30 gonna be a good oil for this engine?

I actually just put in a PP pureplus 5w30 recently since i got the car used and just wanted to put in a synthetic oil for peace of mind..Also, i'm actually thinking of just running the oil for maybe around 3k KM to just sort of clean the engine and do another 3k km with a full synthetic oil and then gonna do either 5k or 6k km interval or follow the MM of the car?

Specific interval to change oil or follow the MM of the car?
Thanks!

Any quality 5W-30 will work well. I would personally choose any over-the-counter (OTC) synthetic 5W-30...most all of these will be dexos1 certified and also meet Honda HTO-06. Neither of these specifications are required for your car, but they are marks of very good oil.

Examples of good OTC oils in this grade include Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum (any of the flavors), Quaker State Ultimate Durability, Valvoline SynPower, Castrol Edge (any of the flavors), etc. Lots of excellent choices in the 5W-30 grade.

3000 kilometers? That's crazy. Maybe one early drain at 6000km and then follow the maintenance minder or 10,000 km. The Honda K series is a pretty bulletproof engine family, I wouldn't be too worried about the particular oil you use.

How many miles are on the car now? Doing a 3000km (1864mi) OCI to clean is just wasting the full synthetic, in my opinion.

Since you're running a full synthetic, I would just go straight to what the MM tells you to do. I believe they're calibrated for mineral oil, so you'll be very conservative with synthetic use.

Save the oil change and spend the $25 on other maintenance items.

Car is at around 42k KM right now.. Don't really know the maintenance of the previous owner that's why i put synthetic oil right away after i got it...

Is Motul xclean 5w30 a good oil for this engine?

Is motul oil gonna be alright to run til 15% oil life on the MM?

great engine...not picky... use any good quality oil stated above and sleep very well at night.

Originally Posted By: mauric3
Which oil is gonna be better choice for the k20 engine?

Amsoil SS0 5w30, Royal Purple 5w30 or Royal Purple HPS 5w30?

Thanks!

Of the three... My choice is the HPS. But we are splitting hairs.

On paper mobil delvac1 le5w30 seems legit,but without virgin oil analysis it is hard to recommend it.amzoil seem to always be one of the top 10 (safe bet)so i would probably use amzoil

I have a 2011 Si Sedan with the same K20Z3. I use GC all year around. I would say im an aggressive driver, over 6000rpms daily. I cruise on the highway 120-140km/h..engine spins between 3-4000rpms. I been very happy with the GC overall. I run my Maintenance minder down to 0% then change it..approx. 9-10000kms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back