FRAM Extra Guard Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over the years I have heard all of the stories of FRAM orange can filters being junk, but I'm thinking that maybe it's all folklore. Seems to me the FRAM OCOD stories are based on the same ignorance that served as the foundation of the QS/Pennzoil myths. Anyway, I purchased one the other night for my Dakota with the 4.7 litre V8, and was wondering what the BITOG consensus is? I know the Ultra's are pretty highly regarded, but how about the Extra Guards? I can always just buy a NAPA Gold later, and keep the FRAM as a memento.

Fram Orange filters have served millions of vehicles for decades without many isssues. I'd use with confidence. I do believe there are better filters for the same money however:
Ed

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Fram Orange filters have served millions of vehicles for decades without many isssues. I'd use with confidence. I do believe there are better filters for the same money however:
Ed

True ... I think I'd buy something better for the same cost.

However, the Tough Guard (TG) and Ultra (XG) are a good step above the Extended Guard (EG, orange can).

I have complete confidence in the Extra Guard. I recently cut open one of my PH6607s that was in service over the winter with roughly 6,500 miles on it (paired with T5 10W-30). The end caps and media looked good with no damage or significant waviness in the pleats, and the ADBV was still very pliable and holding oil. All visual indications were that it could easily have remained in service longer. At approximately $4 and made in the U.S.A., I'm quite satisfied.

Some people don't like Wavy pleats but the Fram filters use high quality media as far as efficiency goes so they can be a good value. That being said I am partial to the TG and XG and probably wouldn't buy anything cheaper than a TG unless I was running a flush.

Fram oil filters were never as bad as they have been made out to be here.
You don't see either gasket weeps or torn media with Frams, for example.
Use it with confidence.
Brand P was always touted here as a better value, with steel end caps and all until someone discoverd the torn media horror.
I have a Fram, a Wix, a K&N, an STP (cartridge for the BMW), and two P1s on the cars right now.
Not actually worried about any of these filters.

I just gotta say....I change my oil "on time"..you change your oil "on time". There may have been production glitches along the way with any filter we've ever bought.

Of course the likelihood of such production glitches is all but eliminated with cartridge filters because they know the customer/installer will see/inspect the actual filter.

ERGO: I say, "Fear the can". Like the cloth on a couch-it renders the product a blind item! Kira

There are production glitches and there are design glitches.
The metal crimped media of some production dates of brand P appears to be a design glitch.
Still, with a mature engine in good condition, the oil filter is more of a decoration than it is a necessity.
There isn't much to filter out of the oil.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
However, the Tough Guard (TG) and Ultra (XG) are a good step above the Extended Guard (EG, orange can).

Don't go confusing things. The OCOD is the Extra Guard. The Xtended Guard is the forerunner to the Ultra (hence the "X" in the part number). http://www.framadvantage.com/oil-filters/xtended-guard.php

Yep, my typo. I did put "orange can" in my post. There is only one orange can in the Fram filter line-up.

Originally Posted By: Red91
Over the years I have heard all of the stories of FRAM orange can filters being junk, but I'm thinking that maybe it's all folklore.

Or twisted folklore at least. Up here, they absolutely must work on their pricing. An orange can should not be priced above a Hastings or a Wix. The Ultras aren't priced too badly (especially if one has an application that has expensive filters in the first place, since there isn't a lot of variation in price from one Ultra to another, compared to other filters I've seen). But, I'm simply not paying $7 for an orange can for my F-150 when the Wix is $4.99.

With the Wix being over $9 for my G and the Fram Ultra around $12 or $13, that doesn't look so bad. I'd be paying a premium, but on a premium filter. That's to be expected.

I don't get it, where are extra guards so expensive? my walmart here in nc they are less than $4 for the eg3600!!! tough guards are under $6. I use em with confidence

Have no fear, they are GOOD filters. To be honest I would use it over a TEARolator (Purolator). Only issue I have with it is my filter on the Accord is side mounted and is prone to start up noise in filters with poor ADBV performance. Nitrile is ok for a time, but when it gets old it gets stiff and doesn't hold oil as well causing dry starts, Ok for a vertical filter, not so much for a horizontal one.

I don't go by auto parts stores prices I can get extra guards for about $4, TG for about $6 and Ultra for around $10 depending on application at Walmart. My last two XG filters I got on Amazon for about $6 each.

They are best for an oil change interval of up to 5,000 miles; but I have run one to about 8000 miles with no issues. An Extra Guard will do OK for a short oil change interval.

The Tough Guard is much better. The Ultra is awfully good.

Originally Posted By: sevenznuf
I don't get it, where are extra guards so expensive? my walmart here in nc they are less than $4 for the eg3600!!! tough guards are under $6. I use em with confidence

In Canada, for instance. The Purolator Classics were well priced for the short time we had them (i.e. $4 or so depending upon the application). But, I'm hesitant to completely blame Fram for this. The biggest retailers of Fram here (Walmart, Canadian Tire, and Partsource) also have the most inflated regular prices on motor oil, too. So, it wouldn't surprise me if their Fram markup is well above industry norms. That's just another reason to stay out of Walmart, not that I need more reasons.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
To be honest I would use it over a TEARolator (Purolator)

You should copyright that. I have a feeling that "TEARolator" is going to catch on. Motorking is displeased when we use the term "OCOD." And that's a good thing. Fram clearly has someone who has enough pride in his work, company, and product to take offense to insults against them. Perhaps "TEARolator" should stick until we hear at least something from them about the matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back