Fully Synthetic Diesel Oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I am misunderstanding the question, but aren't Rotella T6 and Mobil 1 turbo diesel both synthetic diesel oils?

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
RedLine 15w40.
AMSoil has many fully synthetic diesel oils.
Schaeffer's 9000 5w40.

Yep.

I don't think I've seen a C3 rated lube that's not full synthetic!

If you are talking HDEO, mineral 15w40 is dominant but Delvac 1 5w40, Penrite Enviro 10w40 and Castrol Vecton 10w40 are all full syn.

Red Line wholesale distributor in Australia:

Rocket Industries
40 Huntingwood Drive Huntingwood, NSW 2148

Huntingwood, NS
(02) 8825 1900

If they're not closeby, perhaps they could ship you the oil or point you to a local retailer.

In the HDEO market it aint so important
to be "syntetic", performance and cost is what counts...

Of course, provided one can get the viscosities one needs. A 15w-40 conventional can meet some very stringent specifications and is very cost effective. It isn't particularly useful when it's -40 outside, though, unless you take other precautions. In the PCMO world, however, more run of the mill viscosities are available in conventional and synthetic (i.e. 5w-30 is readily available in either form, whereas a 0w-40 is another matter).

Certainly, but it's best to get 15w-40 out of the oil pan of diesel engines in such temperatures. Generally speaking, though, when it comes to gassers, carbed engines will occasionally start when it's really not in their best interests to do so. I've had plenty of vehicles that would start rather easily in -40 temperatures, and in such cases, it would pay to have a suitable viscosity in the pan - i.e. not 15w-40 or worse.

That is why those of us with commercial heavy diesels use block and oil pan heaters. Starts like a warm summer day even in minus territory. Even on my gassers when I lived in Alaska, we used block and oil pan heaters. Oil pan heaters are so cheap for what they deliver, and don't use much power at all. I am surprised more folks don't use them instead of playing "what if" games with oils in cold weather.

Originally Posted By: Spetz
I haven't seen fully synthetic diesel oils.
Do these exist?

In Australia..

Penrite
Mobil
Shell
Nulon
Castrol
Motul
Redline ...

The list goes on and on.....

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
I am surprised more folks don't use them instead of playing "what if" games with oils in cold weather.

I have used them and still use them. That doesn't mean one shouldn't choose viscosity appropriately though, either.

Originally Posted By: virginoil
Diesel engines oils and petrol engine oils have differing performance requirements.

And ZDDPlus does have a competing interest - selling their own product.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back