2013 honda civic si k24 engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
New member here from Ohio....A quick question.
I have a new Civic S.I. 2.4 k24 Engine. I use the 0w20 (O.E.M) oil from Honda blend.
Obviously the engine is a high reving engine...And ironically is the same engine as on our CRV. Except the S.i. version has more Compression Ratio of course and H.P. My question is, I change the oil at 5000 regardless of the maintenance minder..I just like the 5k interval. Is there any benefit in using any other oil than the Honda (CoP) 0w20 blend vs say.....Castrol/ or mobil 1 0w20?
Remember...i like to change it out at 5k.
Would say Amsoil signature or Mobil 1 be a complete waste at 5k OR would they provide better engine protection?
By the way....I don't go crazy with the engine...dont like to go over 6 k rpm...it redlines at 7
Also, not a lot of short driving periods....almost all driving, the engine gets full temperature.

Last edited:
Any 0W20 will be more than adequate for 5k OCI if most of the trips are more than 8-10 miles. I use any 0W20 based on price.

My rule of thumb (for me) is 5K changes for dino and 7.5K changes for synthetic.

I would gladly run PYB 5W20 at 5K miles or any on sale 0W20/5W20 synthetic for 7.5K.

Welcome to the Forum!

Sticking with a synthetic 0W-20 5K OCI's should be OK for conservative driving, but keep in mind that spirit driving with a higher compression engine at elevated engine RPM's will necessitate a heavier oil.

Personally, I'd run a 0W-20 or 0W-30 synthetic in the winter and a 5W-30 or 0W-40 in the summer.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Welcome to the Forum!

Sticking with a synthetic 0W-20 5K OCI's should be OK for conservative driving, but keep in mind that spirit driving with a higher compression engine at elevated engine RPM's will necessitate a heavier oil.

Personally, I'd run a 0W-20 or 0W-30 synthetic in the winter and a 5W-30 or 0W-40 in the summer.

This is a different engine than the old civic si..where 5-30 was used....
Its still under warranty....shouldnt I only use 0w20 as per manual and oil cap?
And, YES since it is a Civic S.I. and lets be honest...this car is faster than most on the road that you'll see in an average day...It does get driven as such...I like to shift at say 5k rpm in most gears...the Ivtec kicks in at 5100 and the noticeable power increase is impressive. Im just kinda scared of the non 0w20 due to warranty issues.

According to the "honda ivtec gurus.....on the honda forum....these engines can easily run on 0w10...and ran hard. I guess...Honda is testing this in Japan.

Last edited:
I'd definitely use 0w-40 or 5w-30 like others have said. It will not only be fine in the warm months, but the oil will hold up better and provide better protection against wear, heat, etc. than 0w-30 in those "spirit" moments.

I'd use a 0W-20 as Honda recommends, although a 5W-20 would likely be fine.
The recommended oil will always be at least a syn blend while a 5W-20 could be a Grp II.
Change the oil by the MM, which is adaptive and not simply a mileage minder.
15% remaining is a good time to start thinking about weather and personal commitments in planning your next change.
No need for more frequent changes given the way you use the car.
It's not as though you're tracking it, although it would be interesting to see how the MM accounts for such use.
Any 0W-20 should be fine for this engine, which seems to return good looking UOAs on any oil and so isn't at all picky.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Any 0W20 will be more than adequate for 5k OCI if most of the trips are more than 8-10 miles. I use any 0W20 based on price.

01.gif

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I'd use a 0W-20 as Honda recommends, although a 5W-20 would likely be fine.
The recommended oil will always be at least a syn blend while a 5W-20 could be a Grp II.
Change the oil by the MM, which is adaptive and not simply a mileage minder.
15% remaining is a good time to start thinking about weather and personal commitments in planning your next change.
No need for more frequent changes given the way you use the car.
It's not as though you're tracking it, although it would be interesting to see how the MM accounts for such use.
Any 0W-20 should be fine for this engine, which seems to return good looking UOAs on any oil and so isn't at all picky.

I do like the Honda Blend 0w20. It does seem to be a really good oil. I think for now, Thats what I'll use. Didn't know if say Mobil -1 0w20 would provide any "advantage" in the protecting the engine...considerations.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: disneyfire
This is a different engine than the old civic si..where 5-30 was used....
Its still under warranty....shouldnt I only use 0w20 as per manual and oil cap?

YES! Personally I'd use Mobil 1 0W-20 AFE, but any of them are good. You can get Quaker State UD 0W-20 virtually free with the warranty rebate on their site, and there are some nice coupons for Valvoline Synpower here. Pick one, they're all great...

I have an 03 CRV with the K24 that has 158,000 miles on it. I've been using 5W30 since new as I could not find synthetic 5W20 back in 2003. It's been on a regular diet of 5w30 synthetic. I've now grown used to changing the oil and rotating the tires at 5,000 mile increments. It's easier to remember doing these two items at one time rather than having two different chores to perform at different intervals.

Ill give my opinion, just stop using the Honda Genuine oil. There are many UOA of Honda Genuine oil that show higher aluminum wear. It is not at a condemning level but you can get a more inexpensive oil that protects just as well, or better, for a better price. M1 0w20, PP 0w20, VSP 0w20 at a 5K OCI sounds like a great plan. You could us a Fram Ultra oil filter for 2 OCI's and you will be golden. You have a great engine under that hood, take care of it and it should take care of you.

The original high compression k24 required 5w-30. Thats what i would use and nothing less. 0w-20 is just for fuel efficiency and to be honest, you are not going to notice any MPG gain from using 0w-20 as oppose to 5w-30.

You'll likely feel a smoother acceleration with 5w-30. I tried 5w-20 in my k24 high compression and just didnt feel right.

Oh and dont be scared to wind it up to 7k rpms. These motors are design to withstand being driven near redline. These stock motors can handle 500-600+ hp before any internals are needed to be changed.

Last edited:
I take exception to those recommending any weight other than 0w-20. Unlike other manufacturers, Honda does not spec any other weight for their current motors. If you value the warranty on your car, stick with 0w-20. It will protect you fine as evidenced by some great 0w-20 UOAs in Hondas on this very forum.

Even though 5k OCIs might underutilized synthetic, pretty much any 0w-20 with the eexception of Honda's own blend will be group III syn. Take your pick of M1,PP, QSUD, VSP, etc. All are great oils and cheap at Wally World.

Just don't let someone tell you to use whatever dino 5w-30 is on sale because that is what runs great in their 92 Taurus. For a couple bucks more an oil change you can use what Honda specs and sleep easy at night.

Any 0w20 can be used for the full duration suggested by Honda's MM. even if you drive it in a spirited manner, the MM does account for that.

Even though you don't need a synthetic, I'd still go with the cheapest syn on sale since you can usually get some kind of syn for the price of dino or a minimal difference if that.

My choice would be Napa Synthetic 0w20 since it's on sale this month for $3.49/qt. It is rebranded Synpower.

My suggestion for the filter is the Purolator PureOne. The textured grip is awesome.

Another good deal this month is AAP's Mobil Super Synthetic (not to be confused with M1): 5 quarts plus a Driveworks filter for $22.99 (if you were lucky enough to receive a coupon in the mail, you can get it for only $20). Unfortunately this particular deal isn't listed as having a filter upgrade available (many AAP specials offer an upgrade to the P1 filter for $2 more), some people have been able to get it. Go for the P1 upgrade if your local AAP will let you.

Originally Posted By: SF0059
I take exception to those recommending any weight other than 0w-20.

Do you think that same exact car is spec'd for 0W20 anywhere else in the world that is not affected by US CAFE requirements?

If that car is sold in Australia, it would not surprise me if Honda recommended 0W40 oil.

Many people drink the cool aid and believe that Honda "engineers" specify that the car use 0W20 oil. Simply not true. If the engineers had it their way, the cars would use 0W30 or 0W40 oil. The ONLY reason they use 0W20 is CAFE. Period. Honda doesn't care about engine longevity or engine protection.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: SF0059
I take exception to those recommending any weight other than 0w-20.

Do you think that same exact car is spec'd for 0W20 anywhere else in the world that is not affected by US CAFE requirements?

If that car is sold in Australia, it would not surprise me if Honda recommended 0W40 oil.

Many people drink the cool aid and believe that Honda "engineers" specify that the car use 0W20 oil. Simply not true. If the engineers had it their way, the cars would use 0W30 or 0W40 oil. The ONLY reason they use 0W20 is CAFE. Period. Honda doesn't care about engine longevity or engine protection.

Do I think you could run heavier grades safely? Of course. But should the OP take the risk of a denied warranty claim? Absolutely not.

What Honda specs elsewhere in the world is irrelevant. If a owner deviates from the recommended grade Honda USA would happily deny the warranty claim. Not worth the fight.

My post isn't about what the OP could do, it is about what he should.

I also don't think that running a quality 0w-20 will sacrifice any longevity or protection as you seem to insinuate. Take a look at some UOAs of that grade in Honda engines. To say that Honda doesn't care about longevity or engine protection is simply ludicrous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back