Best oil filter for my Harley

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only problem I've ever heard with Harley filters is someone either overtightened it, or left it loose. As far as filtering, I haven't heard of anyone having problem with them. I get them for about $7 piece and after I use them, I throw them away.So paying alot of money for something your gonna throw away, doesn't make sense to me. If the K&N is working for you, keep using them it makes life simple.,,

I've got a seriously customized and built 106 2008 street bob. I've been using amsoil filters at 10k intervals.
As long as the filter meets Harley's 5 micron rating I'm sure your fine however you may want to look at specs to be sure.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Amsoil EaOM134 $15, and it doesn't meet Harley's spec.What would be the reason to use it?.,,

Longer life, better made, better filtration, more efficient?

OP asked for better filter options.

Not sure what you mean by "doesn't meet Harley's spec"?

Originally Posted By: Joe_Power
Pablo.... How does the Amsoil filter compare to the K&N filter? Honest, unbiased answer please.

Compare? I dug around on the K&N web site and didn't see any efficiency ratings for their MC oil filters. It looks very well made, and the claims are mostly about high flow (this is a good thing). I can't say anything bad about them because I don't really know, plus that's not how I roll. K&N does not state what the ADBV is made from.

Ea Motorcycle Oil (EaOM) Filters incorporate the same synthetic media found in the automotive - filter efficiency of 98.7 percent at 20 microns. The ADBV is silicone.

I've used both and the Amsoil filter is not same size as a Harley filter, so you'll need a smaller oil filter wrench to take it off...

Last edited:
Pablo.... How does the Amsoil filter compare to the K&N filter? Honest, unbiased answer please.

Hi Mate...I emailed K&N specifically to ask the efficiency rating on the KN170 filter for my Sportster to compare to the Ryco I have.

"Hi There,
I am looking to use the KN170 oil filter for my Harley Sportster. Could you provide some info on efficency/specs of this filter please. How does it compare to the stock harley filter?"

Their tech guy emailed me back with this reply,

"Due to testing variances, it is hard and at times impossible to compare one rating to another without knowing the full details of the ISO test that was used. Because of this, we do not post our numbers. Was there something specific you were looking at or were told about our filters that has raised the question?"

Hope this is useful in some way.
Cheers,

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: splineman

Hi Mate...I emailed K&N specifically to ask the efficiency rating on the KN170 filter for my Sportster to compare to the Ryco I have.

"Hi There,
I am looking to use the KN170 oil filter for my Harley Sportster. Could you provide some info on efficency/specs of this filter please. How does it compare to the stock harley filter?"

Their tech guy emailed me back with this reply,

"Due to testing variances, it is hard and at times impossible to compare one rating to another without knowing the full details of the ISO test that was used. Because of this, we do not post our numbers. Was there something specific you were looking at or were told about our filters that has raised the question?"

Hope this is useful in some way.
Cheers,

[censored]

I do the maintenance on my sons Harley Davidson's > 2007 Sportster & 2010 Fat Boy Lo.

K&N MC Filters at the local Pep Boys are Korean so I will not but them, The Harley Davidson Filter is USA well made and at a decent price from the HD Dealer, may also try WIX this year I have go to the local AUTO VALUE to check again to see where they are made first.
TOTO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back