OCI by hours and engine break in question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2013 Jeep Wrangler with the 3.6L Pentistar engine. I have a few questions on when the oil should be changed. The owners manual doesn't really give set intervals it wants you to rely on a indicator or to not exceed I believe 8,000 miles.

With engines coming out today is there a need to do a engine break in oil change at say 1,000 miles?

Would it be better to use the amount of hours on a engine vs mileage on when to change the oil?

I plan on using Pennzoil yellow bottle in 5w-20. Is this a good choice or would something else be better for cheaper?

Originally Posted By: cody0707
With engines coming out today is there a need to do a engine break in oil change at say 1,000 miles?

Not unless your owner's manual tells you to do so.

Then again, you'll have a bunch of hard core oil changers on here that will tell you to change the oil as soon as you bring the vehicle home.

Quote:

Would it be better to use the amount of hours on a engine vs mileage on when to change the oil?

Under certain operating conditions (like when you do a lot of idling), it may make sense. Maybe your car's OLM already takes this into account?

I think PYB is a good choice and can't think of anything better for cheaper. I would never go less than 3 or 4 K miles on the FF as I want any oil additives and or assembly lubes to assist with the proper breaki-in. Ed

It is difficult....but, change the oil when the indicator tells you to. If a break in oil is being used, you will flush it out. Things are changing in the oil and filter business for sure. If you idle your engine lots, an hour meter would be a great tool, but with the advent of computer assisted oil life monitors....don't waste your time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back