Carpet Cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm considering renting a Rug Doctor from the grocery store. Everything I've read online has pretty positive things to say about them. Though no machine is ever "perfect" for everyone's needs.
Anyway, I want to know what kind of cleaning solution is tried and true. Something strong that does a very good job. Naturally I know it all depends on the types of stains, pet odors, etc....
I've read many different opinions from using vinegar, bleach, laundry detergent, Folex, straight hot water with fabric softner, etc....
Seems I've heard em all. Anyone have something solid to offer here?

We rent Rug Doctor from time to time. We buy a bottle of the Rug Doctor cleaning solution when we rent; I've never tried any of the things you mentioned. It's one of the better carpet cleaning machines you can rent IMO, and it does a better job than the Bissel we own.

The best carpet cleaner there is is rubbing alcohol - it totally breaks up the stains and leaves no residue behind to attract more dirt. But you gotta work with it fast because it evaporates so quickly.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The best carpet cleaner there is is rubbing alcohol - it totally breaks up the stains and leaves no residue behind to attract more dirt. But you gotta work with it fast because it evaporates so quickly.

Do you use rubbing alcohol in carpet cleaning machines? Every machine I've seen forbids the use of flammable solvents because of the heating element.

Just had three carpets cleaned professionally in my house for 75 bucks. Well worth it. I cleaned carpets all through high school, it was a good job. I have a hot tank Bissell but for 75 bucks once a year it is worth it to have the pros come in and use their chemicals and equipment.

Originally Posted By: R80RS

Do you use rubbing alcohol in carpet cleaning machines? Every machine I've seen forbids the use of flammable solvents because of the heating element.

I've used it for spot cleaning with very good success, but I haven't tried it with a carpet cleaning machine yet. As far as flammable, how flammable is rubbing alcohol ?

I haven't tried it with a carpet cleaning machine yet. As far as flammable, how flammable is rubbing alcohol ?

From the source, "Rubbing alcohol is a volatile and flammable liquid." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubbing_alcohol

Why is it then that when ever I throw a match on it, it puts the flame out ?

I haven't tried it with a carpet cleaning machine yet. As far as flammable, how flammable is rubbing alcohol ?

From the source, "Rubbing alcohol is a volatile and flammable liquid." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubbing_alcohol

Why is it then that when ever I throw a match on it, it puts the flame out ?

Why on earth do you go around throwing lit matches into rubbing alcohol? Maybe you have a dilute mixture. Maybe your matches are defective.

Originally Posted By: bustednutz
I'm considering renting a Rug Doctor from the grocery store. Everything I've read online has pretty positive things to say about them. Though no machine is ever "perfect" for everyone's needs.
Anyway, I want to know what kind of cleaning solution is tried and true. Something strong that does a very good job. Naturally I know it all depends on the types of stains, pet odors, etc....
I've read many different opinions from using vinegar, bleach, laundry detergent, Folex, straight hot water with fabric softner, etc....
Seems I've heard em all. Anyone have something solid to offer here?

Your best bet is to forget the Rug Doctor. The bacteria count in the used machinery is HIGH, don't even bring it into your house!

Your local CC Chemical Supply house probably rents professional machines for the same or less. Then you can buy big boy chemicals and get real advice. Otherwise call a pro with a truck mount.

You simply will NEVER get big suction and high heat out of a 20 amp circuit in a home. It's not possible. Our larger portable machines have TWO vacuums and a heater tank that draw far more juice. Those little retail store machines are a sad joke...

If you rent a rug doctor, buy the shampoo at HD for much less than the rug doctor brand - same stuff. I bought Bissell with heater and do mine 2x a year. I never have to deal with major grime buildup so I get very good results every time. An added plus, the Bissell has tools that I use for the cars to keep the carpets and upholstery shiny.

I have to agree with those who said to watch out for the rentals. Who knows what chemicals they used in it and I doubt they are cleaned that often. I had one of the Bissell machines and that thing [censored] out after two uses. Cheap military housing carpet was probably to blame, but the gears stripped out on it and it would have cost less to buy a new one.

After I retired from the Air Force and we built our house a few years ago I went out and bought a new Rug Doctor. They are the same as the rentals, it's just blue instead of red. I don't have to worry about what the last schmuck ran through it or how long it's been sitting in a store with water in it. I also clean it up when it starts to get dirty. As for it not being hot enough, when I fill the tank I put a couple quarts of boiling water in from our electric kettle along with the hottest from our tap. I can't address how much better having a big vacuum located out in a truck is compared to having a smaller vacuum near the floor, but there isn't much moisture left in the carpets and they are dry in a couple of hours. On the up side I don't have to run around and find a rental or worry about getting it back to the store in time. And once I finish the carpets I take it out to the garage and clean out the cars.

I had bought mine through woot.com. As luck would have it they are offering a rebuilt one today for $299. (Under the Home! tab) Mine was new, but it didn't come with the $99 Upholstery Tool that I had to buy from Rug Doctor. It looks like it comes with their 5 year warranty.

If you aren't familiar with Woot. They offer one item per day (now they have many categories, it used to be just one) and when they sell out that's all until Midnight Central time when a new item is offered. You are limited to 3 items per account. All items ship for $5. So you could order 3 Rug Doctors and just pay $5 for shipping.

The Rug Doctor solution works well, but it's not the cheapest. I've also used "Pro Force" brand cleaner from Sam's Club. It's OK, good for the price.

After owning two Hoover carpet cleaners which were junk, I went and bought a Rug Doctor. It's a great piece of equipment. With two kids and two dogs, ours gets used quite a bit.

BTW, Home.Woot.com has a Rug Doctor up for sale today:
http://home.woot.com/?ref=cnt_sb_hm_2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back