Best Battery for Infrequent Use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Went to check in on the Shelby today... battery flat (5.5 volts). Ok... last time I used the car was Oct 2013, I lived through this nightmare with my muscle cars (batteries not surviving more than a few years) and now same thing. Yes I charge it monthly etc. and probably a battery tender type set up would be best... anyway...

What I am wondering are your expereinces with batteries such as Optima or Odyssey as it pertains to better resistance to early failure in a low use vehicle. My daily driver batteries go 8-10 years (my GMC battery is original 8+ years now, my 1996 K1500 was about the same)... my rare use cars... 2 years
mad.gif

I am a big OE freak so I want to go get a new Motorcraft 96R battery today but I also want something that lasts in my low use vehicle.

There have got to be tons of electronics on that bringing things down. I'd put a tender on for sure.

Motorcraft OE batteries are generally very top notch. Is yours freakishly small for weight or anything?

Are you leaving the terminals connected?

I don't think this can be solved by any make/size battery.

Sealed AGM type batteries are reputed to hold a charge much longer than regular car type lead acid batteries. Gel cell batteries are used in alarm systems and backups for that reason.

I don't know how practical that kind of battery would be to use in a car.

I am surprised a battery would drop that low if it is charged monthly. Are you sure it is getting a good full charge? (overnight or a day or two)

The other reason might be a 'slow leak'-- very low constant drain on the battery. Those are no fun.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
There have got to be tons of electronics on that bringing things down. I'd put a tender on for sure.

Motorcraft OE batteries are generally very top notch. Is yours freakishly small for weight or anything?

Are you leaving the terminals connected?

I don't think this can be solved by any make/size battery.

Yes, KAM and alarm system are supposedly a heavy resting draw. I did notice all winter, the voltage would be down to mid 11's after 30 days of sitting. I waited too long and / or I need to get a tender type charge I know but still... these flooded acid batteries do not seem to last in low use situations.

I do leave the terminals connected always (retain volatile RAM settings and to be able to move the car quickly in an emergency... although today would have been an epic fail).

Get an AGM battery and a decent battery tender set up. You will get 4-6 years out of the battery if you keep a tender on it.

I have had this issue with both the Mustang and the Ranger in my signature and have come to the conclusion that there are only 3 options:

1. Run them more often
2. Trickle charger
3. Buy a replacement battery with a 2 or 3 year free replacement
warranty and exercise the warranty when the inevitable occurs.

Optima yellow top here. 4 years old and it stays on a trickle charger 95% of the time. The 96 is a barn queen in there more than drove.

I have a Odysessy in my truck, its going on sitting 5 months now, with a tender. Last year after sitting 5 months it started right up.

this is really one of those laws of physics things.
car uses battery power+batteries hate being deep discharged.

Maybe get one of the combo deep cycle/starting batteries?

Best thing would be to perm. wire it for a battery tender with quick disconnects. and just use one of those.

Something not right. Constant float charging = life, infrequent charging still allows sulfation to occur.

Id want to check the car's true draw when sitting. 5.5V could be really flat, or it may actually be a short inside or outside.

AGM batteries have lower self-discharge, but that doesnt help if the draw is from the vehicle.

If you are still under the 3/36 warranty the battery will be replaced under the bumper to bumper warranty. If would strongly consider a battery tender type charger if I was parking my Mustang over the winter. The 05+ cars have a fairly high draw when the car is off.

AGM batteries have a lower self-discharge rate than flooded-cell batteries. The original Optima was great- I left those parked for 6+ months regularly, but Optima quality tanked a few years ago.

I've got an Enersys (Diehard Platinum) AGM in the '66 which seems to hold its charge great for extended periods. Its been sitting since October or thereabout, and I plan to start it up tomorrow (I'll let yea know!) But that car has only a dozen or so transistors ANYWHERE on it. "Off" means OFF! Which is probably not true of your Shelby or any modern car without a battery disconnect.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
If you are still under the 3/36 warranty the battery will be replaced under the bumper to bumper warranty. If would strongly consider a battery tender type charger if I was parking my Mustang over the winter. The 05+ cars have a fairly high draw when the car is off.

In service date was October 2010 so I missed the warranty. I called Ford to confirm. It is holding a charge right now, I am taking it for a load test shortly. Nevertheless, I think it will be compromised now so I'll get a new one. $155 for the OE 96R. I'll get a true battery tender for next winter, I like these:

http://www.geniuschargers.com/G1100

The 1100 should be fine for over winter maintenance type charging.

Ideally I should move somewhere that I can drive the car year round.

Update - For those who are interested:

1) Seems to be a common issue with the car, not a defect per se, just a large current draw when not in use, more than I am used to with stored cars. The reality here is I missed a charge cycle because I kept expecting the weather to get better and I wanted to start it up etc. for the Spring. I finally went out yesterday to put the charger on because the weather wasn't going to get better anytime soon... good thing I did.

2) The battery seems to be fine. I charged it for 6 hours yesterday and had it load tested, it passed (295 CA) even though it was not at full charge. The 295 was considered a pass given the charge state at the start of the test. I then charged it all night, fully charged, voltage holds and a new load test was fine. Dodged a bullet for now, although I probably shortened the life of the battery I realize this.

3) Shopped around:

i) OE Ford (Motorcraft) - $155
ii) WalMart (Can't remember the brand something Maxx) - $114
iii) Autozone (Kalispel MT, I get there frequently) - $116
iv) Kirkland Signature - $85

The KS, generally my first choice for batteries in my daily drivers, great warranty, good quality etc. is a Fitment Type 26... supposedly equates to a Group 96R... posts are backwards though (like the old 24F vs. 24) so I would have to flip the battery around and all the labeling would be backwards. Universal fit stuff like that drives me mad. I'll probably go OE when the time comes even though it is more loot.

Originally Posted By: marc1
posts are backwards though

Correction, the posts are correct.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Is the battery under the hood in the 500s, or is it in the hatch/spare tire area in the back for weight distribution/traction reasons??

It is under the hood, near the firewall on the passenger side.

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
AGM batteries are degraded by deep discharge. A battery tender is your best friend for an infrequently driven car.

All Pb-acid batteries are degraded by deep discharge. The cycle life is poor for lead-acid.

Heck, one could say that ALL batteries are degraded by dep discharge. Some types will have longer cycle life before condemnation, but they all will have fewer cycles and less overall Ah throughput than if discharged in a more shallow manner.

And for Pb-acid batteries, sitting at less than 100% SOC will also degrade readily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back