Mobil 3309 vs. Castrol TransMax Multi-Import ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am writing to see if there is any difference in using Mobil versus the Castrol Transmax in my car. I have a 2002 Volvo V70XC. I bought this car used and don't know what, if any maintenance was done on it nor how it was driven.

I have heard I should only use the Mobil, some have said the Castrol is perfectly fine, but want to make sure I am using a fluid that can be used in my car. Volvo says JWS3309 thus the reason I am asking.

Thanks.

~ Christopher

Use only a JWS3309 approved ATF. Toyota T-IV is the same fluid, Hyundai has a JWS3309-T4 for some of their older cars.

Originally Posted By: salv
Use only a JWS3309 approved ATF. Toyota T-IV is the same fluid, Hyundai has a JWS3309-T4 for some of their older cars.

Okie. I have been doing a lot of Volvo research and have read the Castrol Transmax is acceptable fluid, and when searching a JWS3309 I come up with the Castrol. I will go ahead and get a couple cases of the Mobil 3309 and, sadly, pay for shipping.

I would use whichever smells sweeter. Some ATF's like Maxlife have a very strong sulphur smell which could prevent diagnosis of transmission health using smell.

Amazon has the Mobil 3309 for $60 per case of 12, which includes shipping.

That's better pricing than the local Toyota dealer for me ($9 per quart).

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
I would use whichever smells sweeter. Some ATF's like Maxlife have a very strong sulphur smell which could prevent diagnosis of transmission health using smell.

I'll assume you are being sarcastic...

Smelling for burnt transmission fluid isn't really the best indicator anyway. The transmission could have a wrong fluid in it already and if you wait for a burning smell it is already too late.

T-IV
Transmax Import

Use whichever is cheaper. I put Transmax into an Aisin unit that required 3309 with good success.

We have used cases and cases of Castrol Trans Max multi vehicle and Chevron/ Havoline Multi Vehicle atf with great results all we do is make sure they list the vehicles on the list of approved uses.

Have Castrol Import in a 4 speed Aisin transmission for at least 75k miles with a drain and fill every 20k miles with no issues

Castrol Transmax IMV and Valvoline Maxlife do the job perfectly. I used both in numerous T-IV applications. In fact, they have better basestocks.

Originally Posted By: Thermo1223

Smelling for burnt transmission fluid isn't really the best indicator anyway. The transmission could have a wrong fluid in it already and if you wait for a burning smell it is already too late.

No, But I'm different.

What is the best monitor of transmission health? I think smelling the fluid is a pretty good one.

Originally Posted By: Thermo1223

No, But I'm different.

What is the best monitor of transmission health? I think smelling the fluid is a pretty good one.

Honestly yearly changes or 30k miles depending on driving conditions. The point I was making is gear oil is some nasty smelling stuff because of the sulfur but it gets the job done. You'd never know the condition of it by smell.

The only other recourse is a OA...money permitting.

Wha..... ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back