Dexcool Pink or Orange

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mom's 2009 Saturn Aura is low on coolant so I bought some AC Delco Dexcool at the dealership to top it off. This coolant is orange but the color of the coolant in the car is pink. I have always subscribed to the rule of thumb of not mixing different colors of coolant. Is all dexcool the same or do I need to buy pink dexcool?

NO! Take the DexCool back..( I mean Death-cool). GM switched from its notorious orange Dex-cool starting about 2003. Your 2009 Saturn should have the newer pink GM coolant. The pink is different and MUCH better. The safe answer is go to the GM dealer and buy it. The Dex-Cool is a plague to be avoided. Also be sure to use true "distilled, reverse osmosis water" if you buy it straight to make it 50-50. Or if the dealer has the pink stuff in a 50-50 pre-mix, that is OK too.
The Dex-Cool has been discussed here long before I joined. The conclusion I have from this and many other sources is that cars that came with Dex-Cool can use it, provided they never have any other coolant mixed with it. Making Dex-Cool last an expected five years seems to have been very optimistic marketing.

The orange Dexcool I purchased today was from a dealership. I questioned the parts counter about the color and they said it is what they have been selling. I will check another dealer tomorrow.

The Ford version of Dex-Cool is orange. They have told us it is normal after a certain number of heat cycles to appear pinkish red in the overflow bottle.

Originally Posted By: drolds
NO! Take the DexCool back..( I mean Death-cool). GM switched from its notorious orange Dex-cool starting about 2003. Your 2009 Saturn should have the newer pink GM coolant. The pink is different and MUCH better. The safe answer is go to the GM dealer and buy it. The Dex-Cool is a plague to be avoided. Also be sure to use true "distilled, reverse osmosis water" if you buy it straight to make it 50-50. Or if the dealer has the pink stuff in a 50-50 pre-mix, that is OK too.
The Dex-Cool has been discussed here long before I joined. The conclusion I have from this and many other sources is that cars that came with Dex-Cool can use it, provided they never have any other coolant mixed with it. Making Dex-Cool last an expected five years seems to have been very optimistic marketing.

Why would one need distilled & reverse osmosis water?

From a GM engineer who was on BITOG, but left when he got tired of the abuse... "The problem that people experience with DexCool is in engines with cast iron heads (like the 4.3) when the systems run low.

Where silicated coolants "plated" the inner surfaces of the cooling system and passages in the block and heads and provided some level of corrosion protection when the surface would dry out due to low coolant levels. With DexCool, the surface is very well protected as long as it is wet with the coolant. When the system runs low on coolant, areas of the head will loose coolant and the inner surface of the coolant passage will almost instantly dry out due to the heat and haze over with red surface rust. Then along comes a slug of coolant and washes the rust off. The surface drys again, rusts and another slug of coolant comes along and washes the rust off.

The red sludge you describe with DexCool is simply rust. If the system runs low long enough it will accumulate enough rust to actually get muddy. Simple explaination. Just keep the system full and DexCool is great stuff. It just doesn't tolerate the system running low as well as some of the silicated coolants.

The problem compounded itself over time on some vehicles that were run in a chronic low state. The mud from the rust accumulation would build up in the pressure cap fitting and unseat the presure cap seal. so...the system would not pressurize and would overheat. Then all the rust and mud was discovered....ack...big surprise. It would have been easier to just check the coolant level occasionally...

Checking the coolant recovery bottle is a good way to do it for routine look sees but it is a good idea to pop the pressure cap off occasionally when the system is cold and check the radiator level, too. If the cap is malfunctioning, the wrong cap or if the hose to the coolant recovery bottle has a hole/crack/kink the radiator cannot pull coolant back into the system when it cools down and the level will steadily drop and will run low. so...once per month or so, check the radiator itself to make sure it is completely full to the brim as evidence that the cap is working correctly.

You should have absolutely no problems with DexCool. It is well tested and an excellent product if used correctly.

I personally always recommend the use of the GM coolant supplement pellets ( or the equivalent BarsLeaks products HDC ) to ensure against any internal coolant leaks into the oil. An engine like the 4.3 can leak coolant internally if a gasket starts to fail or something so the coolant supplement/sealer is good insurance against this. It is/was factory installed in that system and needs to be replenished over time and/or as the cooling system is refreshed. I would add 6 of the coolant supplement pellets to ensure a positive seal of the system. It causes no harm and will be perfectly benign unless there is a leak somewhere."

"The GM coolant supplement pellets and the BarsLeaks "golden seal" are the same material. The company that manufactures the cooling system sealer supplies GM with the material in pellet form and also sells under the BarsLeaks brand name."

Distilled water does not have calcites in it. The minerals in tap water tend to react badly with aluminum. Tap water by itself will cause real problems for any aluminum parts it comes into contact with.

In addition to the tap water problem issues, Dex-Cool Organic Acid Technology(OAT), tends to react the worst of all with tap water.The old high silicate green coolant should still be mixed with distilled- demineralized water for the old school iron engines that are fine with silicates. The newer GM pink coolant which is a Hybrid Organic Acid Technology(HOAT)coolant must be mixed only with distilled water.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Dexcool is orange until you mix it with distilled water, then it becomes pink.

No it does not. Dex Cool is an (OAT) Organic Acid Technology coolant. The pink should be (HOAT) or Hybrid Organic Acid Technology type coolant. HOAT coolants came into use after 2002 as a general rule. Apparently some of these are very specific in their specifications. The pH levels are different for different specifications. Mixing coolant types is not a prudent practice in the long-run. Check the owner's manual carefully since buying coolant today has become a "buyer beware".

I called GM today and they referred me to a dealership for coolant questions. According to the local service department, Dexcool is Dexcool. His explanation for the pink Dexcool in the Saturn is due to the orange changing color over the years. I'm leaning towards believing this as I have not been able to find pink Dexcool on the shelves.

On a slightly different note, is the orange Prestone 50/50 GM approved Dexcool at Walmart the same as AC Delco orange Dexcool. I read the back of bottle and nothing there indicated it was a universal type coolant.

I have switched all my GM cars to Canadian Tire's Certified green coolant. I have never had an issue with weirdo discoloring or accumulations and or operating temperatures of any kind since.

My dad's 2007 Pontiac G6 2.4L left the factory with Pink Dexcool.

I replaced the coolant early with Prestone Dex-Cool and distilled water and his engine had had no cooling problems, ever.

If you want to get the rest of the coolant to look pink, like the factory fill, use Prestone AM/AM.

Originally Posted By: outoforder
On a slightly different note, is the orange Prestone 50/50 GM approved Dexcool at Walmart the same as AC Delco orange Dexcool. I read the back of bottle and nothing there indicated it was a universal type coolant.

Yes, it is the same chemically, but it is NOT the BRAND that is in the AC Delco jug, which is made by (and was originally co-developed with) Havoline.

I have found the Ashland Zerex branded Dex cool to be the best/longest lasting, as well as either the same price, or not much more than the cost of the on the Sino Mart shelf Prestone product.
The problem is FINDING it (I believe most NAPAs can order it, even if they do not stock it).

Originally Posted By: drolds
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Dexcool is orange until you mix it with distilled water, then it becomes pink.

No it does not. Dex Cool is an (OAT) Organic Acid Technology coolant. The pink should be (HOAT) or Hybrid Organic Acid Technology type coolant. HOAT coolants came into use after 2002 as a general rule. Apparently some of these are very specific in their specifications. The pH levels are different for different specifications. Mixing coolant types is not a prudent practice in the long-run. Check the owner's manual carefully since buying coolant today has become a "buyer beware".

I'm just going by my own experience. I use Dexcool in my Buick and whenever I mix it with distilled water, it goes from orange to pink.

DexCool is an OAT coolant. It is and always has been an OAT coolant. There was no change from orange to pink. There was no change from OAT to HOAT. It is an OAT coolant with an orange dye. Period. End of story.

Why does it look pink after it's been in the car for a while? The dye is simply breaking down and dispersing. That's all. The color is only a dye additive. When you mix it with water, it gets lighter and doesn't retain that neon orange color. It eventually breaks down and changes color even more. This is especially noticeable in translucent overflow bottles, where the fluid is observable and light is allowed to pass through from all sides. Drain the system, look at it in a bucket, and it will look a lot more like the orange coolant you're expecting.

Originally Posted By: outoforder
..The most recent coolant supplier for new GM cars is manufactured by Prestone ..here is the MSDS and the corressponding part #s which would also included the AC/delco label…not all dexcools are the same plus on the back of the bottle it specifically reads that clean tap water is all that is recommended .. http://www.centralstatesbus.com/MSDS/ACDelco Anti Freeze.pdf

I read that on the back of the bottle. I was fascinated to read that tap water was acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back