Storing Oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol.gif

I store mine in a linen closet to avoid humidity swings. Hope the moths don't get 'em.
grin.gif

My wife lets me have one closet in my house for my junk. I keep my motorcycle gear and parts as well as filters and oil in there.

i like the closet idea better then the garage...

but i dont think stores throw away filter after 3 months of not being bought... so i reallly dont think it affects the filter..

but since we are all paranoid....

In addition to plastic wrap, several tyvek envelopes of silica gell should be gently inserted (don't forget to remove them later!) to absorb moisture after lightly misting the filters' interior with GC 0W-30, and the carton should also be wrapped in heat sealed plastic wrap after similarly being misted lightly with GC 0W-30. Also purchase fire and flood insurance on your stash against precipitous random "Acts of God". Be sure to get the underwriter's name, too, so you'll have sympathetic company in the asylum. You'll be eligible for release when you can look at a Fram advertisement without remitting to grossly dilated pupils with the whites of your eyes punctuated with distended arterioles and frothing at the mouth while grunting like a rutting hog...

The rubber (silicone or nitrile) anti-drainback valve will eventually stiffen when exposed to summer heat over a period of years (how many???), and I imagine that TRULY wet/humid conditions over a long period of time could allow for mold to grow on the paper media (I've seen stranger things). Other than that, oil filters aren't particularly fragile devices in need of special storage methods.

quote:

Originally posted by Morcos:
i was in the us last week and brought back some filters... they should last me more then a year, so i was thinking is there a risk with them staying in the garage for a while? cuz at stores dont they just sit there anyways?

if its not a good idea should i cover the end with saran wrap? to keep the moisture?

I would keep them in a closet in the original package. Probably more stable environment thant he walmart shelves with every dirty hand opening the box and looking inside the filter with their dirty digits.. I hate it when they violate young filters on the shelf!

Wrapping them in plastic (without pulling a vacuum) can actually SEAL IN MOISTURE...
either vac it or just keep em dry, they will be fine..

i was in the us last week and brought back some filters... they should last me more then a year, so i was thinking is there a risk with them staying in the garage for a while? cuz at stores dont they just sit there anyways?

if its not a good idea should i cover the end with saran wrap? to keep the moisture?

Most likely it won't be problem, but sometimes filters in storage do rust inside. I cut open an unused Fram once that had been sitting in a garage and it had light rust on the inside.

Wrapping them in plastic wrap to close them is a good idea.

I store them under the bed. The wife is very understanding
smile.gif
. They stay warm and dry. Although the exterior of the box does get covered in dust bunnies
grin.gif
. Come to think of it she's probably "understanding" because she never vacuums under the bed and doesn't know they're there
rolleyes.gif

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back