Castrol EDGE 0W-30 SPT Full Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: edyvw

With Castrol 0W30, M1 0W40 or PU 5W40 you will see increased fuel consumption, engine will feel more sluggish, and do not forget, oil temperature might increase.
M1 5W30 would be my choice.

In all honesty, I didn't detect any of those things in an identical car (2002 V70XC). I am pretty sensitive to machines and how they run. I noticed no difference...

Originally Posted By: C_Bjerke
Originally Posted By: magnus308
Is this appropriate in a 2002 Volvo V70XC??

Or should I stick with the Mobil 1 5W-30???

~ Christopher

Which engine do you have in your XC?
If you have the turbo version i would use Edge 0w30 or Mobil 1 0w40

Yes, it is the 2.4L Inline 5 Cycl Low Pressure Turbo.

Then my only recommendation would be the M1 0W40 or Edge 0w30

Originally Posted By: Astro14

With Castrol 0W30, M1 0W40 or PU 5W40 you will see increased fuel consumption, engine will feel more sluggish, and do not forget, oil temperature might increase.
M1 5W30 would be my choice.

In all honesty, I didn't detect any of those things in an identical car (2002 V70XC). I am pretty sensitive to machines and how they run. I noticed no difference...

Could be. On other hand, I even notice difference between GC 0W30 and M1 0W40. Not in MPG, but with M1 is just sluggish.

Is this appropriate in a 2002 Volvo V70XC??

Or should I stick with the Mobil 1 5W-30???

~ Christopher

Which engine do you have in your XC?
If you have the turbo version i would use Edge 0w30 or Mobil 1 0w40

Yes, it is the 2.4L Inline 5 Cycl Low Pressure Turbo.

Then my only recommendation would be the M1 0W40 or Edge 0w30

I can get M1 0W-40 at a decent price. So, I will go with that then.

Quote:

I would go with GC since you want ACEA A3 oil!
I used both, and believe 0W30 Castrol has an edge over M1.
Plus, GC has HTHS 3.58 while M1 has 3.8. For you car both are overkill, so go with lower HTHS.

OP, I don't see any reason to be running one of the thicker Euro oils. The car is not being subject to extreme usage (towing, racing, off-roading), so thicker doesn't really accomplish anything here other than sap MPG and power.

I'd use whichever synthetic 5w30 is on sale. You have a lot of good choices. Pennzoil Ultra is the sweetheart around here, but M1 5w30 is tried-and-true as well.

Originally Posted By: dparm
OP, I don't see any reason to be running one of the thicker Euro oils. The car is not being subject to extreme usage (towing, racing, off-roading), so thicker doesn't really accomplish anything here other than sap MPG and power.

I'd use whichever synthetic 5w30 is on sale. You have a lot of good choices. Pennzoil Ultra is the sweetheart around here, but M1 5w30 is tried-and-true as well.

I agree, but if he already wants Euro-spec oil, GC might be best option considering HTHS compare to M1 0W40.
Still I think there is no point. M1 5W30 has HTHS of 3.1.

I'd actually say the M1 is preferable since the VI is so much higher than Castrol 0w30. He lives up north where it gets really cold, and a high VI would be a good thing to have.

Originally Posted By: dparm
I'd actually say the M1 is preferable since the VI is so much higher than Castrol 0w30. He lives up north where it gets really cold, and a high VI would be a good thing to have.

We are coming back again to same discussion. Yes on paper, in practice, I always had smoother cold starts with GC and I had cold starts going to -27f.

Quote:

I would go with GC since you want ACEA A3 oil!
I used both, and believe 0W30 Castrol has an edge over M1.
Plus, GC has HTHS 3.58 while M1 has 3.8. For you car both are overkill, so go with lower HTHS.

Okie. I can get that too. Right now it is cold and [censored], so I will stick with the oil I have inside and do a change to the GC. Which I can also get at a decent cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back