Penrite Diesel FX - Toyota Yaris - 11500km

Status
Not open for further replies.
The air filter was at the end of it's life span, which I have now replaced.

Code:
Vehicle: 2006 Toyota Yaris (1.5L)

Klms: 62000km

Oil: Penrite Diesel FX

Grade: 15W-40

Klms on Oil: 11500 (approx.)

calcium 2669

water
oxidation 14

lead 0

molybdenum 16

barium 0

fuel dilution
vanadium 0

silicon 23

chromium 0

silver 0

cadmium 0

zinc 1028

tin 0

sodium 11

TBN 3.24

FTIR soot
aluminium 3

nickel 0

titanium 0

potassium 3

Viscosity@100 13.5

boron 32

magnesium 17

nitration 14

copper 0

iron 5

antimony 0

phosphorus 880

Laboratory Comments:

Dean,

Flagged data does not indicate an immediate need for maintenance action.

Continue to observe the trend and monitor equipment and fluid conditions.

Silicon is at a MINOR LEVEL; SILICON sources can be abrasives (dirt, Alumina Silica),

seals and gasket material, lube additive or lube supplement, and/or environmental contaminant.

Oil analysis performed by Roktex.

15w-40 in a Yaris?

It MUST be killing that engine
28.gif

One thing I have never really understood is the (I can only assume) 'cultural mindset' that in North America a thin 5w-20 oil is what is 'best' for an engine, and a person might be shocked if a 10w-30 was used.
Whereas in some other parts of the world, with a climate not too different, great results can be shown using even a 15w-40 in the same engine.

Originally Posted By: expat
One thing I have never really understood is the (I can only assume) 'cultural mindset' that in North America a thin 5w-20 oil is what is 'best' for an engine, and a person might be shocked if a 10w-30 was used.
Whereas in some other parts of the world, with a climate not too different, great results can be shown using even a 15w-40 in the same engine.

I think the difference in oil specs by market for the same engines show that the oil viscosity doesn't matter too much in most engines and in most conditions.
Cold starting is the only difference most people will see, and if the temps are not near the oils minimum operating range, I doubt the difference is significant. For a 60F "cold start" almost any viscosity will do.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: expat

I think the difference in oil specs by market for the same engines show that the oil viscosity doesn't matter too much in most engines and in most conditions.
Cold starting is the only difference most people will see, and if the temps are not near the oils minimum operating range, I doubt the difference is significant. For a 60F "cold start" almost any viscosity will do.

I always pick my oils viscosity according to the temperature range of where I live. In winter my coldest mornings are about -2 Celcius and in summer my hottest days are around 42 Celcius, so a 15W-40 or 10W-40 seems to do the trick all year round.

I recently had my car serviced at the Toyota dealership and they put a 10W-30 in it. Will be interesting to see the results of my next UOA.

I wish we could get Penrite here in the U.S. I'd run their ten tenths racing oil in my drift car if I could! (at the right price)

"Cold Start" after sitting all day in the parking lot at my office in the summertime - 95-100F. The engine is warm before I even start it...

Originally Posted By: Brons2
"Cold Start" after sitting all day in the parking lot at my office in the summertime - 95-100F. The engine is warm before I even start it...
Normal engine operating temperature is 210-220F, so your engine oil is still 100+ degrees below its desired temp. With 100 degree difference it deserves to be called a "cold start".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back