stp oil filters any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
STP Oil filters are made by Champion Labs. From my observations (and pictures posted by others here) they are essentially identical to the SuperTech filters sold at WalMart. I'm not sure if the filter media is identical, but I doubt that it would be much different.

In general, I think that the SuperTech filter is a very good filter. Not the best, but IMO better than several on the market. The quality of construction is quite good. They don't have silicone anti-drainback valves, but most filters don't.

I believe that for the price, the STP filter isn't bad. You can buy better filters, but you pay much more for them and (depending how long you keep your car) may never see the difference.

I used the STP oil filter from AutoZone around three or four times with no complaints except for one. Every time I went to change the from an old to new filter the gasket would come completely off the filter and stick to the sending unit. Other than that STP seemed to be good oil filters.

STPs are identical to the S/Ts as far as I know. As far as value goes, I'd say 3 bucks is fair if you don't want to go to Wally's.
dunno.gif

Only way to know is to open the unit you use. Openned one on my older Civic and it was poor.

I've used STP oil filters for a while now. Part of it is due to convenience- when I'm at Autozone buying Mobil 1 I can take two steps over and grab an STP filter. I have used them on both my 91 Nissan 240SX and my 95 Camaro Z/28 (although I think when I get my Camaro rebuilt and back on the road I'll switch it to ACdelco). I have never had a problem with STP filters.

I just did an oil change today on the Nissan and instead of buying an STP filter for it I tried out a Bosch Premium. The casing of the filter was identical to the STP, same gasket, same baseplate (even had the same stamping of "AA" on both!). I've heard the Bosch Premium has a different filtering media, but I do know that it's twice as expensive as the STP.

Anyway, I'm going to try and cut apart the STP filter that I just removed from the Nissan without making a huge mess and/or cutting any of my limbs off. If I get it apart I'll take some photos and provide links.

I'm not sure if their media is identical, and I doubt it is. From what I've seen the Supertech's media might be a bit better.

However they both fill the same niche: A well constructed filter for cheap for those not too concerned about maximum performance.

-T

Ok guys I have some cutaway pictures of an STP filter I just removed from my 240SX.

Filter: STP S2827
Car: 1991 Nissan 240SX
Interval: 3,000 miles

-

-

-

-

-

Discuss.......

T-Keith, I have no idea. I'm still new to this stuff. The only component in the shots I posted that I'm not sure what it does is in the second picture. It sandwiches between the end of the filter case and the filter cartridge. Could this be part of a bypass system?

Edit: if the holes for a bypass are on the opposite end of the side where the ADBV is, then no this filter doesn't have a bypass on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back