STP in every tank!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got back from topping up the tank on my DD at Chevron. On the other side of the pump was another fella just pulling up in a Pontiac. Opened the trunk and pulled out of bottle of STP fuel stuff (red bottle). I noticed there about couple dozen bottles of the stuff. Just for kicks I mention "you must really like that stuff". He says he dumps a bottle in every fill. What!... every fill?
He says he's about to hit 200k on the car and the stuff is good stuff since he's never had any gas issues and it still runs like new. He says I should use it all the time. I said "alrighty then".

I'll use Redline or Techron on occasion but a full bottle of any product at every fill...

This guy has to be pulling my chain or do people really do this?

It's just like I saw a lot of guys putting $2/bottle gas line antifreeze in their tanks this winter...when they are alredy putting in 10% alcohol right out of the nozzle.

FWIW:

I use 2-oz's of Techron or Amsoil P.I. per 10 - 12 gallons as a maintenance dose, plus a 3-oz's of TCW-3 when filling up.

STP is weak stuff, so perhaps a full bottle is needed to equal the higher concentration of Redline, Techron, or Amsoil's P.I.

Did you mention to him what you use?

Did you steer him over to BITOG or ask him if he's one of us??

Originally Posted By: Errtt
Just got back from topping up the tank on my DD at Chevron. On the other side of the pump was another fella just pulling up in a Pontiac. Opened the trunk and pulled out of bottle of STP fuel stuff (red bottle). I noticed there about couple dozen bottles of the stuff. Just for kicks I mention "you must really like that stuff". He says he dumps a bottle in every fill. What!... every fill?
He says he's about to hit 200k on the car and the stuff is good stuff since he's never had any gas issues and it still runs like new. He says I should use it all the time. I said "alrighty then".

I'll use Redline or Techron on occasion but a full bottle of any product at every fill...

This guy has to be pulling my chain or do people really do this?

The "STP myth" is similar to the "MMO myth".

STP has a proprietary blend of ingredients but doesn't contain the powerful solvents in Techron or Gumout all in one. I can imagine it requires a bottle every fill up to achieve anything.

Great marketing. They have a revenue stream for life.. or at least until it's time to figure out "STP electric charge treatment".

I have used the occasional additive in gas for kicks. My car runs like new too..and i highly doubt if i didnt use any that it would affect whether it runs like new or not.

Must be a Richard Petty fan.Remember,Petty retired driving a G body Pontiac Grand Prix....

Originally Posted By: Errtt
He says he's about to hit 200k on the car and the stuff is good stuff since he's never had any gas issues and it still runs like new. He says I should use it all the time.

Sounds just like all the people who think they need to keep adding a quart of ATF to their diesel fuel tank. "My brother's friend's cousin used to do this forever and his engine never blew up" so of course everybody else should do the same.

What they don't seem to realize is, your engine should not blow up on a regular basis whether you use the snake oil products or not. Imagine all the money this guy has spent over 200k on STP. He could most likely afford to fix any possible problem with his car if he just put that money into a savings account.

My motto is "people are stupid". I've yet to be proven wrong.

Originally Posted By: Turk
Did you mention to him what you use?

Did you steer him over to BITOG or ask him if he's one of us??

No I didn't - he had several bottles in a box in his trunk. I could see all the about 1/4 or so tops of all the bottles. Took 1 bottle out, shook it well and poured it in the tank, then did his filling. Seemed proud (cracked a smile) dumping it in the tank. Had a rag in one hand I guess for spill, but he didn't need the rag and put it back in the box.
I was thinking "he's going to give me the empty bottle so I would stop at a auto store to get this magical stuff, or maybe hope I offer some bucks to buy one on the spot".
I should have told him I use two bottles every fill so my car will run twice as long as his. Three bottles if I'm feeling naughty.

Originally Posted By: wannafbody
Not sure you guys know this but Marathon uses some type of STP additive in their pump gas.

Marathon's been doing that since 2006. STP's fuel additive is/was a competitor of Chevron's Techron additive. The Marathon/STP relationship continues to this day.

The STP Gas Treatment you buy across the counter does not contain PEA - it's basically a fairly old formulation of Stoddard Solvent, petroleum distillates, napthalene, etc.

For Marathon to stay competitive with it's gasoline product, the STP additive in Marathon gas might be something quite different than the STP you can buy. It probably contains PEA. I couldn't find any information on this, but I doubt that they could keep it a secret for long.

Originally Posted By: wannafbody
Not sure you guys know this but Marathon uses some type of STP additive in their pump gas.

I just noticed that Marathon is not listed as a Top Tier gasoline retailer, so maybe the STP in Marathon gasoline is really the same as the STP you buy across the counter.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: Donald
We use to call it Studebaker Testing Products.

Studebaker recomended a bottle of stp goo with every oil change. Had a sticker on the valvecover

Right. It said 'Studebaker Tested Products.' Studebaker owned STP at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back