Mobil 1 Extended Performance OR Pennzoil Ultra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Nissan Altima with 80K miles on it. I recently switched to M1 from Pennzoil Platinum and have noticed a good difference. The engine is quieter and runs much smoother. A few days ago, my neighbor strongly recommended Pennzoil Ultra. He claimed it's THE BEST synthetic motor oil to put in your car, especially with all of the city driving I do. Is it really that good? He also recommended Bosch oil filter to go along with it. Do I make the switch back?

I don't think your car will be able to tell the difference. Ultra is good, and so is M1.

SOPUS just redesigned the Ultra line. Too early to tell how the new stuff will fare, but probably no worse than the old stuff.

I wouldn't bother with the M1 EP unless you are going to do a longer drain interval. It's designed specifically for that, hence the price premium.

Either or are capable of extended drains. I'm partial to ultra however if only M1 was available I wouldn't think twice about using it.
Extended drains. Not regular drains.
If you're just gonna change the oil at the same mileage as you do now don't bother switching.

Ultra in arguably the best otc synthetic so your neighbor isn't lying, but it's debatable.

Bosch makes a decent filter but you can do better. I recommend a Fram TG or Ultra. Also consider Wix or Amsoil filters.

Time to play devil's advocate.

What about the newer Castrol Edge Extended Performance? Their MSDS actually discloses the use of Group V base oils in their formulation. So it is more Group III/V, where M1 EP is Group III/IV/AN, and Ultra is Group III (GTL).

PU has UOA after UOA showing low metals wear.

Hard to beat....

Never saw a non-Euro Castrol product match PU's performance.

Originally Posted By: Boston
Is it really that good? He also recommended Bosch oil filter to go along with it. Do I make the switch back?

As others have mentioned, what OCIs are you running? With short, 3750 mile OCIs, you might not be able to justify synthetic, let alone PU or M1 EP. As for filters, I like the Bosch filter and have used it. I've also used Wix, Motorcraft, and Hastings on my G. The other filter suggestions here are also very good.

Mobil1= Six
Pennzoil Syns = one-half dozen

Both are very good oils from major companies.The difference tends to be the marketing campaign.

Last edited:
Mobil 1 has tested their oil extensively out to 20k miles. I'd go with Mobil 1. They are both so close in performance overall.

What year is the Altima?
If you are using 0w20 then I'd suggest another oil altogether, TGMO, especially for city/stop and go driving...
The neighbours "best oil" might be a good oil but it's quite different than TGMO. Check out some of the VOA's and compare the specs/additives. The specs tell the tale of the capabilities and limitations of an oil regardless of people's opinions. So choose wisely.
If you have your heart set on PP,M1 or the like, then maybe try QSUD as well.
The other side of the coin is that you've found an oil you like, stick with it.

Prost!!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SilverC6
PU has UOA after UOA showing low metals wear.

Hard to beat....

Never saw a non-Euro Castrol product match PU's performance.

Which means absolutely nothing without trended data a single used oil analysis showing low wear metals means nothing.
If it showed high wear metals again that means nothing too.
Used oil analysis that we get for 30 bucks will accurately tell you the condition of the oil and can be useful in spotting the intrusion of coolant or silica.
What they cannot tell you is wear.
If used as a tool and many have been done to establish trends then yes if an anomaly presents itself then they can be used to possibly catch a problem however one used oil analysis is meaningless when trying to determine wear.

If your oil consumption is low, why not run M1 EP and move to annual/15K oil changes? You'll save time, money and it's better for the environment. Longer OCIs often result in less wear too, as long as the additives are not exhausted.

Last edited:
I like the ultra. I like peace of mind knowing it's a proven oil. Only thing I hate is the stupid bottle, I can never tell how much is left inside.

Originally Posted By: RubentheIowan
I like the ultra. I like peace of mind knowing it's a proven oil.

PU is proven in less than 4 years, but somehow M1EP is not in nearly 9? Not sure if that is what you meant, but have we really seen that either is substantially better than the other?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back