Maytag Refrigerator freezing food?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an older Maytag Plus top/bottom fridge and over the past 2 days have noticed food in the back is freezing. The temp dials for both the freezer and fridge are set in the exact middle; temperature as measured with an infrared gun is about 32 degrees in the back and 35-38 up front. normally it runs mid 30s in the back to about 40 up front.

I checked the condenser and it was absolutely plugged solid with dust/animal fur etc.

Question; wouldn't a plugged condenser cause it to run warmer and not too cold? If cleaning it doesn't solve the problem, I'll move on to other parts like the damper or the thermostat control.

thanks

Is ice building up in the back of the freezer section?

If so it could be the defrost control but sounds more like the thermostat may have went bad?

Best temperature in a refrigerator to prevent spoilage is 40 degrees in the fresh food compartment and around zero degrees in the freezer section.

So a solidly plugged up condenser couldn't cause this? The fans for the condenser and inside the fridge are both working properly.

Maybe it is overcooling in response to a lack of temp drop on the condensor.

The only way you'll know is to clean it. Worst case, bad thermostat .

Check the area where you have air circulation. If you have too much stuff in it causing poor air circulation, it can result in some frozen food/stuff in the refridge compartment. Make sure air can move freely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back