changing oil filter every other oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: waltywalt
Everyones concerned about the warranty. How are the dealers gonna tell if the filters been on for more then one oci anyways.
It's called being honest and having morals.

Do the right thing and quit being lazy and change the stupid filter. $5 or less and a couple of minutes of your time.

Why should he be honest with the dealership?? The dealerships screw over customers 90% of the time. The Honda dealership I occasionally buy from is especially bad. There oil special right now is $50 bucks.

WOW. Dealers screw customers 90% of the time. I never knew that fact. I gues that if I screw the dealers then I have reduced myself to that level. :))

Quote:
I never had a car company ask for the receipts for anything.

Apparently you've never had a major failure such as engine/powertrain requiring warranty work, because I feel quite confident that if you can't provide reciepts for maintenance items including things like oil filters proving spec'd maintenance, then you may be in for a surprise.

There has been more than one thread on Bitog where the owner was required to provide a comprehesive log and reciepts. Otoh, if you're willing to roll the dice and assume the warranty risk, then that's your call.

I have no problem with filters like Ultra, BD+, M1 etc being used for more than one oci to filter manufacturers maximum recommended. But, even Fram's Ultra says, "follow recommended change intervals as noted in your vehicle owner's manual". Basically saying if you use their filter for other (longer) than vehicle recommended, then you could be on your own should something happen and it is filter related. This would be especially true with a vehicle under warranty.

But again, as long as you know and assume the risks, however small, then by all means run the filter more than one oci.

Originally Posted By: qwerty1234
Why should he be honest with the dealership?? The dealerships screw over customers 90% of the time. The Honda dealership I occasionally buy from is especially bad. There oil special right now is $50 bucks.

This is definitely fairly close to accurate, most of these
$tealerships are filled with crooked scum. The only customers that escape their thieving ways are folks like us, the rest of the general public get the shaft. Heck even those of us that are savvy are often times given the cold shoulder because these places don't want to deal with educated customers that know the dirty tricks played on the rest of their "marks", you are too much trouble for them.
mad.gif

Last edited:
I always change the oil and filter every 3,750 miles. But I was thinking about going for two oci for the filter because the manual for the car says for normal service I can go 7,500 miles between oil and filter changes. So I would think as long as I don't go over 7,500 im good for warranty anyways.

I'm not sure what specific vehicle manufacturer you are referring to with the 7500, mi. OM 'normal' service oci. But usually with an OM (owners manual) oci/fci there is also a time limit like 6 months that goes with the distance. It usually says ______ miles or _____ months whichever comes first. If that is your situation AND you are getting your two 3750 oci's in that time frame 'or relatively close', then I would say you would have no vehicle warranty questions regarding every other oci for the filter.

That said, I'm mostly trying to make you aware of the possible warranty implications rather than preach to you not to use the filter twice. If your vehicle wasn't (or isn't) under warranty I wouldn't think twice about agreeing to running any reputable silicone adbv filter two ocis to 7500 miles.

They say 3,700 miles for severe service and 7,500 miles for normal service. I use the fram ultra. I rack up miles fast. 25k a year

It's called being the better man and having morals. If you feel dealerships "screw" people over for the convenience of not having to get dirty or change your own oil, well, that's your opinion. If you feel the dealer charges too much for the service, simply go to another place or better yet, climb your lazy [censored] under the car/truck and do it yourself.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

This is definitely fairly close to accurate, most of these
$tealerships are filled with crooked scum. The only customers that escape their thieving ways are folks like us, the rest of the general public get the shaft. Heck even those of us that are savvy are often times given the cold shoulder because these places don't want to deal with educated customers that know the dirty tricks played on the rest of their "marks", you are too much trouble for them.
mad.gif

Learn how to service/repair your own vehicles and this is no longer a problem. Or find another outlet to do the work for you. [censored] about dealers is a moot point....they will always be higher pricewise for everything they do.

Originally Posted By: pavelow
Originally Posted By: waltywalt
Everyones concerned about the warranty. How are the dealers gonna tell if the filters been on for more then one oci anyways.
It's called being honest and having morals.

Do the right thing and quit being lazy and change the stupid filter. $5 or less and a couple of minutes of your time.

this is not about being lazy or not. Its about being smart with money. doesn't matter if the filter costs $3.50 or not. I do agree with you about being honest, but my vehicle isn't under warranty anyway. If it doesn't need to be changed, then dont change it. would you change M1EP after 4k? probably not, its all about finding the right time to change it with the ultimate goal of saving money. thats why most of us are here i think.

I would rather invest that money into an IRA or take the family out to a nice meal somewhere. Someone suggested I might be hard up for money? Im not, thats because I do this with everything I do day to day, not just oil and filter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back