Dexos vs ILSAC charts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which one is the correct one?

Dexos-ILSA.jpg

spider%20diagram%20color.png

Wow, there's quite a difference. I never saw the one on top. I hope you get an answer. I'll be checking back to this one. Good luck.

Well, let's see.
Both spider diagrams have 11 parameters.
In the top one, dexos is showing better than GF5 in 8 of 11 parameters. In the other 3, it ties with GF5.
In the bottom one, dexos is showing better than GF5 in 8 of 11 parameters. In the other 3, it ties with GF5 in 1, and is lower than GF5 in 2.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Well, let's see.
Both spider diagrams have 11 parameters.
In the top one, dexos is showing better than GF5 in 8 of 11 parameters. In the other 3, it ties with GF5.
In the bottom one, dexos is showing better than GF5 in 8 of 11 parameters. In the other 3, it ties with GF5 in 1, and is lower than GF5 in 2.

Thanks for the analysis. Looks like some parameters are different, thus the differences are not as great as I thought. Although one chart shows GF5 better for Emission System while the other chart has equal for Catalyst protection.

Now, the lubrizol shows GF5 better for fuel economy and aftertreatment (cat).

Looking closely at the parameters on the first two charts, they are not all the same. The upper chart has parameters for E85 Emulsion Retention, Volatility, and Turbo Protection that the lower one doesn't have. Of these, dexos is worse than GF5 in E85 Emulsion Retention, and better in Volatility and Turbo Protection.

The lower chart has parameters for Low Temperature Pumpability, Aeration Control, and Shear Stability that the upper chart doesn't have. dexos is better than GF5 in all these parameters.

Of the 8 common parameters shared between the charts, dexos is equal to or better than GF5 in all but one: Catalyst Protection. There are no parameters on the two charts that shows dexos better on one, and worse on the other, so there are no definite contradictions.

Of the 14 parameters shown between the two charts, dexos is better in 11, equal in 1 (Fuel Economy), and worse in 2 (E85 Emulsion Retention, and Catalyst Protection).

yeah, I have often wondered about the lower E85 rating on dexos stuff, especially since GM pushes flex fuel and use of E85 and they are the source for the dexos spec. Seems like a conundrum if I ever saw one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back