which one is better for Shell M.1375.4 spec..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi.

I have BMW X5 that is equipped with ZF 6H26 transmission.
As you know, it has something special auto transmission oil spec... m1375.4.

Actually, there's no aftermarket stuff which got certificate from ZF for it.

Around me, there're three choices I can choose.

1) AMSOIL Synthetic Multi-Vehicle Transmission Fluid
2) AMSOIL Synthetic Fuel Efficient Automatic Transmission Fluid
3) Redline D4 ATF

According to the previous postings here, all of the three oils are ok to my transmission, but I want to choose the best one.

Could you help me to choose one?

As for me, I'l like to buy AMSOIL Synthetic Fuel Efficient Automatic Transmission Fluid, because it is the latest among them.

I'll be looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Have a good day~

Newer isn't always better. The Amsoil M-V Trans Fluid has been around and proven itself. I am sure the other stuff is great but "fuel efficient" tranny fluid just sounds too much like a marketing term.
Choice #1 would be going in my car.
Just food for thought.

Let's see. You can go to a BMW dealer and buy the proper fluid or you can take the advice of an anonymous person on the internet. Hmmm.

Agree with Old Cowboy. You paid for this expensive car but are trying to cheap out on the ATF? False economy.

Thank you.

I think OEM fluids are not so good, thsy just satisfied the minimal requirements of transmission.

Aftermarket fluids like amsoil, redline, motul and so one are far better than the OEMs.

Am I wrong? I'm so curious about it.

one more... I have enjoyed comparing lots of oils with their own specification.
Originally Posted By: Esotar
Thank you.

I think OEM fluids are not so good, thsy just satisfied the minimal requirements of transmission.

Aftermarket fluids like amsoil, redline, motul and so one are far better than the OEMs.

Used to be there were only two or three AT fluids. Now there are dozens. Each one is designed by the OEM with specific viscosity, friction reducers, detergency, etc. to meet the requirements of a specific family of transmissions. And these are very good fluids for the job they're designed to do.

Will multi-use AT fluids, like those made by amsoil, redline, mogul, etc., you're taking a chance that one or more parameters of the multi-use AT fluid is not optimal for your transmission. While you probably won't damage your transmission with non-OEM fluids, but it may not be operating at optimal efficiency.

The 2006 Navigator has the same transmission and Mercon SP
is used and supposed to meet the specs.

I took a chance with Redline D4 in my ZF 6HP19 thinking it may be better than the OEM fluid. The transmission really did not like it, shifted rough and jerky, especially at low speed. I did a complete flush back to the OEM ZF Lifeguard6 fluid and shifted like butter again. Lesson learned.

My advice: don't gamble with any of these aftermarket fluids, it's not worth it. FYI I bought the ZF fluid at the CTSC for $17/quart, about half of dealer cost.

I came across this old thread doing research and I am not here to "stir it up" but I just wanted to clarify/update it in case anyone came across it.

The Redline equivalent of Shell m1375.4 is Redline D6 ATF based on Redline Application Guide.

I used Redline Application Guide which advised Redline D6 ATF. In simple terms:

Shell m1375.4 = Mercon®SP = D6 ATF

Esotar the originator of this thread choose the incorrect Redline (D4) equivalent for Shell m1375.4 (I do not know if Redline D6 ATF was available at the time in 2011)

ARH_0700 tried the incorrect product - Redline D4 which would explain why it did not perform well. (D6 may not have been available at the time)

I have used Redline products with no issue and very pleased with their performance. I would recommend them. I did not want anyone thinking that Redline (or any other "Non-OEM" for that matter) was bad/inferior because the wrong product was selected/choose for the application.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts......."

A helpful thread:

http://forums.audiworld.com/archive/index.php/t-2778513.html

From Turkeybaster115 in the above thread:

I did a lot of research as to what in the world our mystery factory fill ATF could be, and I think I finally found it. After a lot of searching, and phone calls to shell USA I have deduced the following:

According to the australian petrolium institute: http://www.lubeandtune.com.au/html/lubekey.asp their ASP15 classification includes the following fluids:

-Ford Specification No. M2C 919D

-Mercon SP Fluid Part No. XT-6QSP

-Shell ATF M-1375.4

-ZF 6-speed Automatic Transmission Fluid, (Shell M-1375.4)

Mercon SP Fluid is a newer transmission fluid made by shell for Ford dealers. Its easy to find online, and it retails for around $4:00+/quart. Things get really interesting when you look at the specs of lifeguard 6 found in the MSDS:

http://www.tsgparts.net/images/pdf/Lifeguardfluid6.pdf and compare them to the specs of Mercon SP:

http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.co...MERCON%20SP.pdf and http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/Main/msds/us175325us.pdf

VERY similar specs, and the same color fluid.

You can get the lifeguard6/Shell M-1375.4 fluid for $4.68/quart here: http://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/cgi-bin/ryderfp/products/srm/oid/146491/erm/product_detail.jsp

Before you get this fluid consider the following; which are my opinions, drawn from online research. Shell was tapped by ZF/Ford, to make this fluid for maximum fuel efficiency. it has very similar specs to amsoil's fuel efficiency transmission fluid:

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atl.aspx (Scroll to the bottom of the page).

If you are in/out of warranty, want to change your ATF fluid, with oem, for considerably less than what the dealer will charge, then get the mecron SP stuff. Now for those who have higher torque vehicles with the 6hp19/26 transmissions, you might want to opt for a fluid that will trade you gas mileage for decreased fluid temps. This is especially true if you plan on occasional racing, or power increasing modifications. If you look at amsoil, and redline, you find that they each offer a line of racing/high temp fluid products. These products offer better thermal protection for racing or high torque vehicles. Looking closely, there're specs differ from the fuel efficient lines. Most notebly: KV @ 40C 7.5-10cst; KV @ 100C 34-53cst VI: 177+, Flash point 225 F+. Clearly the higher the fluid's KV/VI/Flash point, the more sheer stable it is under abnormal stress.

The above listed racing fluids are on the high end. You can have slightly more thermal protection than stock with several other fluids(KV 40C: 7-8, KV 100C 34-38, VI 165+, Flash Point 212 C+:

-Castrol multi-vehicle atf TE ML 11A

-Pentosin ATF 1 TE ML 11B

-castrol transmax TE ML 11B, 14C!

None TE ML optoins include:

-amsoil universal atf

-valvoline max life

-royal purple max gear

-etc.

Yay for bringing back an old thread :tongue:

Mag 1 Synthetic Low-Vis meets ZF TE ML 11B standards

Maxlife should also work well

Originally Posted By: Esotar
Thank you.

I used to think that way till I had HONDA and ACURA w/ Automatic Transmissions.

99% of people with Hondas will say its best to use the Honda Genuine DW1 or ATF Z1

Originally Posted By: RayNC
Clearly the higher the fluid's KV/VI/Flash point, the more sheer stable it is under abnormal stress.

If that is true, it because a high VI and flash point are indicative of a synthetic base stock.

Red Line ATFs

All of the Red Line ATFs are approximately as sheer stable. This is inherent in the chemistry of their ATFs. The KVs vary depending on the application - from D6 which approximates the current lower viscosity fluids to High Temp which is more viscous than any of the OEM ATFs.

There is NO equivalent to LG6 per the ZF fluid guide. Those who say so are reading it incorrectly.

Now the Mercon SP may have similar viscosity but friction modifiers can still be slightly different.

Today LG6 can be had relatively cheaply so there's no reason to deviate from the manufacturer fluid. Thectsc.com for example sells a liter for $20. This isn't bad considering an owner may change the fluid 3 times over 200k miles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back