Benefits & drawbacks of air filter wraps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the benefits and drawbacks of foam air filter wraps?

My rig uses the old round style air filters, so the foam wraps that go over the filters are available for a few dollars from Napa.

Just wondering if there are any benefits to them or if they're just throwing money down the drain. I tried looking for existing topics about it here but I couldn't find any for some reason.

The foam wrap catches large debris such as leaf, bugs and possible sands. You need to change it in about a year or 10k miles, your filter will lasted much longer with it.

Thanks. I think I will invest in one. For $3 for the "napa gold" one, it's hard to go wrong. Although, the napa gold main filters themselves are only about $10.

I have only ever seen them be worthwhile when I am running a TRUE cold air intake(like the Dinan carbon fiber one that pulls air from the front brake duct, setting the filter in the bumper).

It is primarily just a way to prevent water induction, as well as having a secondary benefit of keepinggiant debris ffrom destroying the filter.

If you're running an intake that's not sitting low enough to where a very deep puddle could be an issue, I don't see any reason to run one...

Originally Posted By: Cubey
What are the benefits and drawbacks of foam air filter wraps?

My rig uses the old round style air filters, so the foam wraps that go over the filters are available for a few dollars from Napa.

Just wondering if there are any benefits to them or if they're just throwing money down the drain. I tried looking for existing topics about it here but I couldn't find any for some reason.

My Dodge Dakota came from the factory with one and after it wore out I purchased two NAPA/WIX wraps and every three or four months I change it for the clean one and then wash the dirty one to reuse than there is no down time and it works out great.
TOTO.

My intake is really old fashion, about 4ft off the ground with very little access to cold air. The inlet sits somewhat over the hot engine and doesn't reach the grill.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
An extra layer of pre filter helps with large dust particles in very dusty environments like dirt roads or sand.

They don't hurt a thing.

Yes I would say SAND..... I used to live in FL near the beach and when I changed the air filter in my car and would vacume the AIR FILTER chamber I guess you would call it, it would have sand...

and the filter would have sand and I remember the guy at NAPA telling me to use exactly what you are sayiing and he had it so you could cut it to fit any Air Filter system.

I dont think Sand would be good for any Intake.

Originally Posted By: nleksan

If you're running an intake that's not sitting low enough to where a very deep puddle could be an issue, I don't see any reason to run one...

The height of the filter above the ground makes no difference, it's proximity to heat sources, insulation from that heat, and it's location in a high pressure Vs. low pressure zone are the important factors.

Ask yourself why the air intake on an F1 car is at the cars highest point...
(pressure and temperature, NOT altitude)

Ive run the precharger socks from Injen which helps. Had a ghetto foam filter [weapon-r] which flowed well but let lots of dirt in too. My dad told me to wrap panty hose on top of filter which turned out to be a cheap additional filter and seemed to hold moisture from rain and puddles. I then got crazy and drank a case of beer and ate the remains of the mint chocolate chip ice cream so i could make a heat shield by running my filter in the bucket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back