Pirelli Scorpion ATR vs Yokohama Geolander A/T-S

Status
Not open for further replies.
My favorite tire (Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza) is no longer being made in my size. So the search is on.

I've narrowed it to Pirelli Scorpion ATR & Yokohama Geolander A/T-S. I've read so many conflicting reviews...I don't know what to think.

I want decent wet traction, decent snow traction (I'm not trying to comparing it to a dedicated snow tire).

Anyone have any experience with either of these?

The scorpions are not the best tire out there. Had some stock ones on the f150s at work. Interestingly enough they had the geolander at/s put on and they seem to be a better tire all around. Scorpions just slid around on the snow.

What size Dueler H/L Alenza you're running now ?

Were these the factory tires ?

And what year, brand and model of vehicle the new tires are going onto ?

Will it see any off-road use at all, or strictly on-road ?

Keith

The Geolander A/T-S tire is very good choice. They're fairly quiet, do very well in the snow, and wear nicely. My dad's truck had a set of them, and he was very pleased. His driving includes long road trips in all weather, going through fields, and unplowed country roads. One note of warning on them is, stay on top of the rotates and suspension. They're bad about chopping or cupping when not rotated properly, which leads to a noisy ride. They also wear quickly if the alignment goes out of whack. Otherwise, great tires. I'd put them on my stuff, if I had a truck.

I have 4 of the Geo A/Ts on the back of my F-450 (Bridgestone Revo 1s on the front), and they've been great so far, including some gravel roads and use on soft mud and dirt-and they're carrying PLENTY of weight!

I hate the Pirelli's on my F150. The only good thing about them is they do not slip in the rain. All other things about the tire are lacking. Hard to keep balanced. Noisy. Lots of body roll with them when cornering and changing lanes.

No info on Yokohama.

Originally Posted By: KB2008X
What size Dueler H/L Alenza you're running now ?

Were these the factory tires ?

And what year, brand and model of vehicle the new tires are going onto ?

Will it see any off-road use at all, or strictly on-road ?

Keith

Yeah, more info please like the tire size at least. Also, why are you wanting to go from an All Season like the Alenza to an AT like the Yoko's?

Between the 2 tires if you want no other suggestions or thoughts definitely the Yoko's. The Pirelli ATR is a god awful tire. Don't waste your hard earned money on them.

I have mixed feelings on the yokohamas.

1. they look great
2. their dry/wet traction is superb
3. they are intolerant of missed rotations
4. they wander more than any other tire I've owned, except for the GY integrity.
5. they have some mild road hum, but by no means are they noisy.

The wandering was pretty bad, even overinflated. I had them in a 265-70-16. I replaced them because they made hwy driving pretty sloppy.

A frind of mine bought a set of 4 for his tahoe. even at 44 psi, they were sloppy. he took them back and got something else.

I like yoko's.... just not these.

Originally Posted By: meep
I have mixed feelings on the yokohamas.

1. they look great
2. their dry/wet traction is superb
3. they are intolerant of missed rotations
4. they wander more than any other tire I've owned, except for the GY integrity.
5. they have some mild road hum, but by no means are they noisy.

The wandering was pretty bad, even overinflated. I had them in a 265-70-16. I replaced them because they made hwy driving pretty sloppy.

A frind of mine bought a set of 4 for his tahoe. even at 44 psi, they were sloppy. he took them back and got something else.

I like yoko's.... just not these.

I echo thes points exactly. I have them on a Mountaineer, and even though they will exceed their 50k mile warranty, I wish I would have gone with the original BFG Rugged Trails. The one thing that I chose the Yoko's for, snow traction, was the worst attribute about them. The SUV would ride up on the snow on the road instead of pushing down through it to the road, so it was almost like hydroplaning.

Thanks for the input.

The Pirelli Scorpion ATR receives very mixed reviews. Most of the bad reviews come from Ford truck owners, where it came as OEM.

I've come to realize that the OEM version of a tire can be different from the same tire sold as aftermarket. The Bridgestones that came on our RAV4 had only 9/32 tread (brand new). The aftermarket version of the exact same tire in the exact same size comes with 12/32 tread. That would really affect someone's rating of how long they last.

We have a friend that works at BFGoodrich. He told us that an OEM tire not only has less tread, but the materials used in the OEM version of the tire can be very different. Which leads to differences in longevity, handling, traction, etc..

This tire is for my gen 1 CRV. I do take it for the occasional "light" offroad, but mostly onroad. I thought I'd get a slightly more aggressive tire this time around.

I've seen pictures of the Yoko Geolander A/T-S on a couple of CRV's. The reports have been good.

I've also read some good reports of the Scorpion ATR being used on CRV's.

I used to be a Michelin person for decades. But the last few sets I had lost wet traction after about 10,000 miles with plenty of tread left. They were scary anytime it rained. So I am no longer a Michelin fan.

I've read through many reviews on Tirerack. I was just looking to see if anyone had experience here with either tire.

Thanks again.

Originally Posted By: JungleJim
Thanks for the input.

The Pirelli Scorpion ATR receives very mixed reviews. Most of the bad reviews come from Ford truck owners, where it came as OEM.

I've come to realize that the OEM version of a tire can be different from the same tire sold as aftermarket. The Bridgestones that came on our RAV4 had only 9/32 tread (brand new). The aftermarket version of the exact same tire in the exact same size comes with 12/32 tread. That would really affect someone's rating of how long they last.

We have a friend that works at BFGoodrich. He told us that an OEM tire not only has less tread, but the materials used in the OEM version of the tire can be very different. Which leads to differences in longevity, handling, traction, etc..

This tire is for my gen 1 CRV. I do take it for the occasional "light" offroad, but mostly onroad. I thought I'd get a slightly more aggressive tire this time around.

I've seen pictures of the Yoko Geolander A/T-S on a couple of CRV's. The reports have been good.

I've also read some good reports of the Scorpion ATR being used on CRV's.

I used to be a Michelin person for decades. But the last few sets I had lost wet traction after about 10,000 miles with plenty of tread left. They were scary anytime it rained. So I am no longer a Michelin fan.

I've read through many reviews on Tirerack. I was just looking to see if anyone had experience here with either tire.

Thanks again.

You will kill your MPG going to an AT like the Yoko's. The Pirelli ATR stinks regardless of OEM or aftermarket version.

What size are the tires and perhaps we could suggest some good All Seasons for you seeing as you were happy with the Alenza's.

gen 1 crv? broaden your choices. there are lots of tires available for that car. my ex had one. nimble, great view of the road, fun. honda's version of a jeep. ours had surprising grunt off the line. sort of an unpolished brawler. it drove best with the sunroof open...

BFG traction T/A is a decent tire on a gen 1 crv and does well in the snow/rain. they may still make an all-terrain for it. bridgestone alenza HL400 rode better and was quieter.

This is not a heavy vehicle, and the AWD is good for some trail use, but not for any real wheel-up conditions. The limitations of the vehicle will probably be reached before the limitations of the tire. It would be pretty scrappy in the mud, though, but no tire is great in mud while still maintaining premium road manners.

If you are pretty sure you want to go with the geolander, pay attention to your sidewall height. IDK what rim size you have--- but I would make sure you stayed with under a 70-series tire. you won't like them on the highway. maybe they'd be ok due to lower vehicle weight...? I'd consider BFG before signing the check...

Last edited:
Between the 2 tires i would go with yokohama. I personally love big o tires bigfoot a/t 3 yr free replacement roadhazard/24.7 roadside.

Reporting back after 20,000 miles.
I got the Pirelli Scorpion ATR's!!!

They are....amazing! I LOVE them. They totally changed the driving characteristics of the CRV. The ATR's have a very stiff sidewall, causing the CRV to be a lot more fun when cornering. The grip in all conditions is great. We've had 75"+ inches of snow this winter...they are a beast in snow.

I would be very disappointed going back to any other tire. We've had this CRV since new. It now has 295,000 miles.. I hope I never have to get another type of tire for it.
I'd get these for my wife's RAV4 Sport if they came in the proper size.

I highly recommend the Scorpion ATR, especially for anyone with a gen 1 CRV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back