How often do you change your cabin filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't changed my wife's yet and it's been 4 years and 80k Miles. I just clean it out every 15k or so. It doesn't really seem to get dirty. We live in the woods though, and aren't in the city very often. I'm thinking I want to change it this year though, because of any bacteria that may have accumulated on the filter.

My Mercedes cabin filter actually began to produce musty smells right on the 2 year suggested change interval.

The dealer suggested it was because it was aftermarket - it had been installed by another Mercedes dealer.

on both cars(especially the Elantra), after changing tha CAF, I noticed better air flow from vents and the car interior felt warm (or cold) a lot faster than they used to do.

Originally Posted By: Buick92
The newer Toyota models have 3 year/30,000 cabin filter replacement intervals, that seems a little long to me. The same interval also applies to the engine air filter too.
Any thoughts on this would be helpful. Thanks.
I do my VW yearly. Filter is less than $20. Why not? Especially if you live in a dirty/dusty area.....a clogged or excessively dirty filter will make the HVAC system work harder.

Originally Posted By: JustinC25
I haven't changed my wife's yet and it's been 4 years and 80k Miles. I just clean it out every 15k or so. It doesn't really seem to get dirty. We live in the woods though, and aren't in the city very often. I'm thinking I want to change it this year though, because of any bacteria that may have accumulated on the filter.
If you are taking it out to clean it, why not just change it? *****.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I use 1-2 sheets of Bounce as pre-filter, replace Bounce once a year and cabin filter every 5-6 years.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the fragrance in Bounce HEAT activated/released? Either way, putting a "pre-filter" in just creates more restriction....making the HVAC system work harder. Buy a cabin filter with a fragrance impregnated media if you want your vehicle to smell like a load of laundry. lol

Originally Posted By: cutter
I have this sheet of activated carbon, looks like this

Activated-Carbon-Fiber-Filter-Mesh-CF-Z-.jpg

I cut a square out the size of my cabin air filter and lay it on top of the filter (easily accessible from the glove compartment). I probably replace it right after spring and after summer. I leave the actual pleated filter in for much longer, probably somewhere between 1-2 years..
How is your airflow with that vs without it? Especially on the lowest fan speed setting?

Originally Posted By: Buick92
The newer Toyota models have 3 year/30,000 cabin filter replacement intervals, that seems a little long to me. The same interval also applies to the engine air filter too.
Any thoughts on this would be helpful. Thanks.

I believe Lexus was saying to clean mid way at 15k and change at 30k.

Toyota may have adopted the same schedule and I would imagine the OEM filter is designed for that.

Didn't realize our Forester had a cabin filter until this year. Replaced it last month after 7 years and 90k miles on the stock one. It was pretty nasty, but I couldn't tell any significant difference in the quality or volume of air the HVAC was passing.

Replaced the cabin filter on our Mini after five years and 40k miles, and again couldn't tell any before/after difference.

Can you share pics? I thought of doing the same (bought a 10 pack from HD when they had some great sale prices), but have been concerned about making a good seal.

By the time I'm done, I wonder whether $10 for the real thing is better than a few $ plus time on DIY.

I'll try to take a picture of a spare. I glued some but I don't remember which vehicle it was for. I have an 04 MDX, 08 Accord and 05 Camry. They all have cabin filter.

I've never owned a vehicle with a cabin filter, guess I'll die a early death...

Yearly. After spring when the flowers are done with pollen. Windows down in summer. Most of fall but use AC some. Winter heat is on. Then spring builds up some more. Change and repeat.

Although my car wasn't built with a cabin filter, it was 24 years old when I got it, and by that time nature had provided one in the form of packed leaves, pinestraw, and acorns. It was like a miniature fireplace in there, with that nice hot blower resistor ready to set them all off.
To the past owners' credit, at least one of them had taken the time to install a fire extinguisher, so I guess he was ready for the big day.

I should probably look at that again when the weather improves. Assuming I do, I guess I can say I clean the "filter" every 4 years.

Truthfully, I never knew modern cars had filters for this until pretty recently. So you don't even get to smell the dead skunks and cow manure anymore? Good times man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back