Recommendations for a 2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for oil and filter recommendations for 2012 Subaru Legacy, 2.5i (FB25 engine).

I just got the car last year, and I'm new to this forum and learning about oil. I've been doing lots of research, and I'm definitely switching to full synthetic. My top picks are PU & Amsoil SS; I'm still deciding on price vs. OCI. I don't see any reason to change grades from spec (5W-30, ILSAC GF-4 or GF-5).

It gets driven 7 days a week:
5 days are a interstate/highway commute to work, 20mi each way
2 days are in an around town, short trips

I live in NJ, so it's not brutally cold like the Midwest, New England, or Colorado, but startup temps are a concern; the car isn't garaged. I'd love better cold-weather protection.

Any other improvements are welcome (less engine noise, better fuel economy, etc.)

Anyone using Subaru synthetic oil or have any ideas how it compares to other OEM oil, like the Toyota oils that everyone is speaking highly of?

I'll take recommendations on filters too. There's lots of talk about using only Subaru filters because of the high bypass setting, but maybe you all have different experiences and know to which engines that applies specifically.

Hi. I have a "11 with the FB25. Tried all kinds of oil - still looking for the RIGHT one that keeps the Tc quiet and allows good FE. There is new PP out made of GTL base stocks and also Ultra. M1 afe, was average as was the Subaru Idemitsu - a very thin 20 grade oil that caused hot rod bearing knocking even when tried in my Honda 1.5L that has been designed to use thinner oils than 20 grade. The Idemitsu nor the M1 is a true synthetic oil.

The QSUD gave good gas miles in the 30's but was not clean enough to keep the TCT quiet (surprising since its GF5!). The Valvoline is keeping the chain and tensioner noise down but hasn't provided the same fuel mileage as the QSUD. OUR next trial will be 5w20 Ultra on deck in the spring-fall OCI.

Use only the ToyoRoki 130 or 160 filters. They will dry out and cause cold engine knock regardless of what oil you run as they are at the top of the engine base down and air displaces the oil in the can overnight. Good luck.

After trying a few aftermarket oil filters, I settled on blue subaru filters. I pretty much ran Napa full synthetic 5w30 the ~42K miles I leased my 2012 Legacy 2.5i CVT. Changed it at a 6-7K mi interval.

I've got a good 6 leftover filters and unfortunately my new Soob uses different ones!

I would use whichever 5w30 synthetic is on sale. They're all very good and you probably won't notice any measurable differences among them. Your usage habits are what I would describe as "typical" so I see no need for a special oil or deviation from Subaru's requirements.

Are you positive that your Legacy specs 5W-30? I have a 2011 Forester with an FB25 and it specs 0w-20 in all temperature ranges. I really doubt that there is a difference in oil for these two if the only difference between the engines is the car that they are seated in

Yep, the Foz got the engine before the Legacy did. The 2012 still has the EJ engine and specs conventional 5W-30.

http://techinfo.subaru.com/proxy/69521/pdf/ownerManual/069521_2012_Legacy/MSA5M1204Aall_19.pdf

http://techinfo.subaru.com/proxy/69521/pdf/ownerManual/069521_2012_Legacy/MSA5M1204Aall_18.pdf

I would only use synthetic for at least 7,500+ mile intervals. Actually, you're probably fine with conventional oil with those conditions. And no need for top level synthetic oil unless you push it well past 7,500 miles. Pennzoil Platinum, Amsoil OE, etc. would work well IMO.

My turbo gets OEM oil filters and the 2000 RS gets whatever is on sale. Various oil filter discussions:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1410171

And one with an interesting discussion between gpshumway and the tech director at Fram (scroll down to motorking's comments) who says a high bypass filter isn't needed:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2590047&page=2

-Dennis

Last edited:
We have the same engine in our Forester.
GC seemed pretty smooth and quiet, while Ultra has so far been the quietest of any oil I've tried in it.
Given the way you use the car, you're probably good for a 7.5K OCI.
I'm not so sure that the OEM oil filter is really that important.
I've used a variety of others in our car.
Subarus do sometimes have some oil consumption, so keep an eye on oil level until you establish whether you'll see enough consumption to require adds between drains.

Thank you all; I'm loving the response from people with experience on similar cars/engines.

For some reason, I thought my Legacy has the FB25 engine, but I stand corrected. 2012s still have the EJ253.

I'm leaning toward PU (or the new PUPPP) and a WIX filter, 7.5k–10k; the price and quality mix seems great. People have great success with PU and reduced engine noise and cold weather.

This might be better question for the UOA forum, but has anyone had experience or success in these cars/engines with top-level synthetics and extended OCIs?

I am using PP in my Outback, which has the FB25 engine. I am quite happy with it. Cold morning starts are easy. The engine runs quiet. I haven't tried the Subaru oil, mainly because I have heard accounts of it being pricey, and it is less convenient. I can pick up PP at either of my local Walmarts.

As far as filters, you do have a couple options besides the Subaru blue can. The Wix 57712 is made for the Subaru EJ25, so it has a 23 PSI bypass. As you may have already learned here, you can also get the Wix filter under the NAPA Gold brand. P/N FIL 7712. I believe the Purolator PL 14615 also has a higher pressure bypass valve, but I couldn't verify that on their website.

Right now though, I don't think I'd be using a Purolator filter on any of my cars. And definitely not on a Subaru.

Originally Posted By: menchgelof

This might be better question for the UOA forum, but has anyone had experience or success in these cars/engines with top-level synthetics and extended OCIs?

There's a former bitog'er on subaruoutback.org that does 12-15k miles on various Amsoil oils. Signature Series and Series 3000, I believe (10W-30 and 5W-30). They have an oil forum there. I believe one or two of those uoa's were posted here in our uoa forum by buster.

OTOH, there's another former bitog'er at Subaruforester.org with the same engine in a Forester that has done 12k oci's on Wal-Mar Super Tech 5W-30. The n/a EJ's run well on anything. I run anywhere from 5-7k mile oci's in a 2000 RS on Pennzoil conventional 5W-30 and 10W-30 and I have only done one uoa on it (shortly after it was bought used with 60k on it).

-Dennis

Last edited:
I use to own a '10MY Outback 2.5L CVT and used a variety of oils with great sucess. Everything from Subaru Idemitsu, QSGB, VWB, M1, Rotella T6. My favorite was RT6, so pick up anything on sale and enjoy your ride.

I have a 12 Legacy Premium 2.5i and I switched to syntheic at the first oil change, after the FF came out at 3,000 miles.

The first OCI was free at the dealer so I had them use Subaru 5w-30 syntheic with OEM filter. I would have continued to use the Subaru syntheic if it wasn't so pricey so for the last two OCI I have used 5w-30 Pennzoil Platinum with OEM filter.

Still debating about frequency of the changes...the manual stipulates 7,500 miles. I did go 7,500 on the Subaru syntheic oil and did not like the looks of the oil when I changed it. I am doing changing the oil every 5,000 miles as that is what I have done in my last two Subaru's.

Originally Posted By: Picky1
I have a 12 Legacy Premium 2.5i and I switched to syntheic at the first oil change, after the FF came out at 3,000 miles.

The first OCI was free at the dealer so I had them use Subaru 5w-30 syntheic with OEM filter. I would have continued to use the Subaru syntheic if it wasn't so pricey so for the last two OCI I have used 5w-30 Pennzoil Platinum with OEM filter.

Still debating about frequency of the changes...the manual stipulates 7,500 miles. I did go 7,500 on the Subaru syntheic oil and did not like the looks of the oil when I changed it. I am doing changing the oil every 5,000 miles as that is what I have done in my last two Subaru's.

Except for serious issues, such as coolant in the oil or oil coming out as sludge, you cannot judge the condition of used motor oil by appearance. Anyone that tells you otherwise is misinformed.
http://www.valvoline.com/faqs/motor-oil/oil-change/

This is just one opinion. There is a video made by one of the oil producers that shows samples of different oils, and explains much more. But I can't find it right now.

With a quality synthetic, such as Penzoil Platinum, Subaru, Mobil 1, or others, there is absolutely no reason that you can't go 7500 miles between oil changes for normal duty driving conditions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Picky1

I had the same question as BHopkins. What was it about the oil you didn't like? Did you have it processed or analyzed, or was it simply appearance alone?

Originally Posted By: i812
I use to own a '10MY Outback 2.5L CVT and used a variety of oils with great sucess. Everything from Subaru Idemitsu, QSGB, VWB, M1, Rotella T6. My favorite was RT6, so pick up anything on sale and enjoy your ride.

Why was RT6 your favorite? What did you like most about it?

I had the same question as BHopkins. What was it about the oil you didn't like? Did you have it processed or analyzed, or was it simply appearance alone? [/quote]

It was based off of appearance and the fact that I do not drive a lot since I work from home.

For example the car is going to be 2 years old in a couple of weeks and I only have a little over 15K on it. I figured it made sense to change the oil more frequently since I do not do a lot of driving and the majority of my trips are around town.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back