To you HEMI Guys?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: oldhp
Call WIX tech line, that's who explained it to me.
Its listed as 22 X 1.5-6-H......not 22 X 1.5.
I was just trying to help out......use what you will.

Got ya ... sure it's listed as 22 x 1.5-6-H thread spec, but it's still a 22 mm dia x 1.5 mm thread pitch design.

local Oreily store used cross references to confirm my selection of an FL820s filter for my 2013 RAM HEMI. He was skeptical until he found that the exact listed replacement filter in multiple brands also cross-referenced to the Motorcraft 820S

^^^ Obviously sarcasm there. An oil filter should always screw on freely and not be too sloppy in the thread engagement either. I've heard of guys using filters with the wrong thread size (metric on SAE or vice versa) and the engagement seemed to work, but was so sloppy that the filter blew off the mounting stud when the engine was ran.

Originally Posted By: Joe_Power
If it is hard to put on, get an oil filter wrench, and with both hands, crank it down tight. It'll work.

You really need to let this go. You have been told numerous times by people who have used the 820 on a HEMI that it works fine. Just drop it already.

Did some more checking. Wix gave the wrong cross from the FL820S to a 51372, which shows 22 X 1.5 threads. Yet Wix calls for a 57899 filter, M22 X 1.5-6H threads.
Motorcraft and Purolator both show the M22 X 1.5-6H threads also.
Even RoyalPurple shows M22 x 1.5 Special Thd.
Just like for things to be correct, and I posted the wrong thing, but got it from wrong cross over.
No wonder MC and Purolator fit....there made for the Hemi.
Sorry for the confusion......my bad.

Originally Posted By: oldhp
The threads are different; The correct threads are 22X1.5-6-H MM. The -6-H means the threads have a different pitch. Example would be metric nut on a standard thread bolt, it will kinda tighten but not right. You must use the 22 X 1.5-6-H threaded oil filters.
The FL-820-S crosses to a WIX 1372 which is 22 X 1.5 threads, won't work. The correct WIX filter is 57899 which is the correct 22 X 1.5-6-H threads.

This should clear up any confusion on the threads. The "6H" is nothing but the "thread tolerance class", which is a measure of how loose or tight the threads fit together. It does not mean the threads are a different pitch.

There is nothing special about a "6H" thread tolerance.

http://www.engineeringessentials.com/ege/fast/fast_page7.htm

Tolerance Class: It describes the looseness or tightness of fit between the internal and external threads. Two classes of metric thread fits are generally used.

6H/6g = General purpose. A tolerance class of 6H/6g is assumed if it is not specified.

6H/5g6g = Closer fit.

Tolerance Grade: (Number) Smaller numbers indicate a tighter fit.

Tolerance Position: (Letter) Specifies the amount of allowance.
Upper case letters = internal threads
Lower case letters = external threads

From this link - metric thread spec start on page 6:

http://homepages.cae.wisc.edu/~me231/online_notes/dimensoning/fastener_handout.pdf

Metric thread fits:
A fit between metric threads is indicated by internal thread class fit followed by external thread tolerance class separated by a slash; e.g., M10 x 1.5-6H/6g. The class fit is
specified by tolerance grade (numeral) and by tolerance position (letter).

General purpose fit
6g (external) 6H (internal)

Close fit
5g6g (external) 6H (internal)

If thread fit designation (e.g., "-6g") is omitted
(e.g., M10 x 1.5), it specifies a "medium" fit, which is 6H/6g. The 6H/6g fit is the standard ISO tolerance class for general use.

English unit internal and external thread class fit 2B/2A is essentially equivalent to ISO thread class fit 6H/6g. English unit class fit 3B/3A is approximately equivalent to ISO class fit 4H5H/4h6h.

I use the Wix/Napa x899 w/o any issues. I noticed they spec 2 different filters. I simply picked the cheapest (x899).

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by oldhp
The threads are different; The correct threads are 22X1.5-6-H MM. The -6-H means the threads have a different pitch. Example would be metric nut on a standard thread bolt, it will kinda tighten but not right. You must use the 22 X 1.5-6-H threaded oil filters.
The FL-820-S crosses to a WIX 1372 which is 22 X 1.5 threads, won't work. The correct WIX filter is 57899 which is the correct 22 X 1.5-6-H threads.

This should clear up any confusion on the threads. The "6H" is nothing but the "thread tolerance class", which is a measure of how loose or tight the threads fit together. It does not mean the threads are a different pitch.

There is nothing special about a "6H" thread tolerance.

http://www.engineeringessentials.com/ege/fast/fast_page7.htm

Tolerance Class: It describes the looseness or tightness of fit between the internal and external threads. Two classes of metric thread fits are generally used.

6H/6g = General purpose. A tolerance class of 6H/6g is assumed if it is not specified.

6H/5g6g = Closer fit.

Tolerance Grade: (Number) Smaller numbers indicate a tighter fit.

Tolerance Position: (Letter) Specifies the amount of allowance.
Upper case letters = internal threads
Lower case letters = external threads

From this link - metric thread spec start on page 6:

http://homepages.cae.wisc.edu/~me231/online_notes/dimensoning/fastener_handout.pdf

Metric thread fits:
A fit between metric threads is indicated by internal thread class fit followed by external thread tolerance class separated by a slash; e.g., M10 x 1.5-6H/6g. The class fit is
specified by tolerance grade (numeral) and by tolerance position (letter).

General purpose fit
6g (external) 6H (internal)

Close fit
5g6g (external) 6H (internal)

If thread fit designation (e.g., "-6g") is omitted
(e.g., M10 x 1.5), it specifies a "medium" fit, which is 6H/6g. The 6H/6g fit is the standard ISO tolerance class for general use.

English unit internal and external thread class fit 2B/2A is essentially equivalent to ISO thread class fit 6H/6g. English unit class fit 3B/3A is approximately equivalent to ISO class fit 4H5H/4h6h.

So I realize I'm necrothreading 5 years back but THANK YOU! for stating clearly what I was screaming in my head while reading the entire thread.

Any machinist will tell you the variation argued about here was just thread tolerance....which for your average guy is basically irrelevant....and save for maybe jet engines or aerospace or maybe professional drag racing (read: TONS of vibration) I simply can NOT fathom an oil filter application where thread tolerance would matter at all.

They all get basically hand tightened and bump up against a relatively thick rubber gasket.

I think I saw the same bad info about -6H in Amazon reviews, so it's good to clear up internet lore. An M22x1.5 is an M22x1.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back