WIX 51568 on Subaru

Status
Not open for further replies.
i finally got my hands on a wix 51568. i changed the oil today on my non-turbo 2.5L subaru, and it fit like a champ. just fyi, since a search never turned up anyone who had actually tried it.

-michael

quote:

Originally posted by Michael SR:
i finally got my hands on a wix 51568. i changed the oil today on my non-turbo 2.5L subaru, and it fit like a champ. just fyi, since a search never turned up anyone who had actually tried it.

-michael

Probably because a 51344 also "fit like a champ", is virtually the identical size AND has a BPV pressure in line with the factory filter?

bill, subaru specs 20-25psi for the bypass on my 2.5L, which is why i sought out the 51568. it claims 16psi, whereas the 51344 you mention says 8-11psi.

also, not that it's a big difference, but the gasket on the 51568 is closer to the subaru filter than the 51344 is.

lastly (and i have not verified this), someone here on bitog pointed out the 51568 has more filter area.

bailey, it's effectively a longer version, yes. but it does have small differences, like the addition of an adbv, a concave instead of convex baseplate (only takes about 5 spins to seat the gasket), a slightly different gasket size, etc. but it physically fits and seals, just as does the 51344, the L24458, and others.

-michael

Thanks, I'm using the 24458 purolator now. I tried to get the baldwin b168, its even longer that the 24458 by about 1 1/4 inches. Ring power in Gainesville FL said he doesnt stock it and won't order it for me! Oh well.

Where did you find Subaru's oil filter bypass specs?

I just bought a new OB and have been checking out different brands of oil filters. I have found a lot of variation for the bypass spec from one filter to another and am curious what the correct spec is.

[ November 08, 2004, 09:26 AM: Message edited by: Ben H ]

The Wix #51344 has about 180 square inches of media. We used this filter on a family member's WRX for a couple of years (at 3,000 mile OCI) with no problems.
Thanks.

quote:

Originally posted by Ben H:
Where did you find Subaru's oil filter bypass specs?

i cheated. i assumed it was true that the oem filter (on some years) was an L14460. the specs for that filter say, according to purolator, a bypass valve with 20-25psid.

thanks.

-michael

I cheated too
tongue.gif
, by using what the Wix site says to use for that car!
They spec 8-11 PSI

Michael SR, I liked the reasoning behind your determination of the bypass spec. Since Purolator is making the AA060 OEM filter for Subaru the 20-25psi spec for L14460 sounds good to me.

I picked up a Baldwin B161-S yesterday for around $6. It seems like it will be a perfect oversized filter for 2.5L.

B161-S specs:
Thread = M20x1.5
Outside diameter = 3 1/32
Length = 4 1/16
Bypass = 18-25psi
Anti-drainback valve (don't need it, but shouldn't hurt)

Did yet more cross referencing on the baldwin b168 filter, its close to the b199. A b199 cross references to a wix 51347. The 51347 is 2.91 inches in diameter, and 4.82 inches in depth. The slightly smaller diameter keeps it that much farther away from the exhaust manifold on my wrx turbo car, and gives the extra depth. Look at the wix site. The filter is spec'd for the old ford bobcat/pinto app. Oh, the bypass is 8-11 psi

I discovered a funny 'part' made for Jeeps. Seems it was made for when they were transitioning from metric filters to SAE. Anyway, it lets me put an SAE threaded filter on my Impreza, so now I'm running the WIDELY avaliable, comparatively huge, purolator 20195 (Motorcraft FL-400 equiv.) I've been running this on my '97 for a while now and am really quite pleased with my discovery. For more details, see my post here on this site in this thread.

Dave

The by-pass valve pressure specified by Subaru is 23 PSI. For reference, see "Oil Filters: H-4 Versus H-6 Engines" section on page 5 of Fall 2002 issue of End Wrench (Subaru mechanics magazine):

End Wrench article

I asked Baldwin about this. Here's their response:

The B301 does have an 8 psi by-pass valve. We originally came out with this filter to replace the Subaru 15208-AA021. We came
out with the B1444 to replace the Subaru SOA51-65109, which has an 8 psi by-pass valve.

If the current Subaru filters are running a 23 psi by-pass valve, I would say they have changed it on current production filters,
because the filters we originally evaluated did not have that high of a by-pass valve.

It will not harm anything to use a filter with an 8 psi by-pass valve because the only time the by-pass is open is when the oil
is restrictive to flow, or the filter is plugged. The 8 psi by-pass will open at 8 psid differential instead of 23 psid
differential pressure.

Randy

quote:

Originally posted by vvk:
The by-pass valve pressure specified by Subaru is 23 PSI......

Not all scoobies. The 3L six takes the 14459 which IIRC is 12-15 PSID

On my EJ22 I've been running the Purolator 20195 which is also 12-15 PSID (yeah, I know, wrong threads...... I already took care of that
fruit.gif
)

Dave

quote:

Originally posted by n8wvi:

quote:

Originally posted by vvk:
The by-pass valve pressure specified by Subaru is 23 PSI......

Not all scoobies. The 3L six takes the 14459 which IIRC is 12-15 PSID

Not according to Subaru. Dave, read the End Wrench article. They clearly say that both 2.5l and 3.0l engines require 23 psi by-pass.

Ok, let me re-phrase that.
"According to Purolator, the 3L six takes the 14459 which IIRC is 12-15 PSID"

I still think I should get a Bobsoil prize for having the largest non-remote-mounted filter on a Subaru
grin.gif

Michael SR, is that Wix 51568 holding up ok for everyday use? TC has said in previous posts on this filter that it is used for ~25 horsepower diesel engines and I suppose we both wonder how it can hold up for automotive use over 3-5000 miles.

quote:

Originally posted by BrewCityR:
is that Wix 51568 holding up ok for everyday use?

that's a good question. i don't know how to determine that. i can't tell, visually, that it's in any way different from automotive filters. in any case, i will do a uoa at 5k miles on this filter and synergyn lts.

-michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back