Royal Purple 10w30 for Powerstroke 6.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Clevy
I suggest devlac elite 222 0w-30. ...
Not available in the U.S.

Quote:
What will happen if you use a non-rated oil like the rp 10w-30 in a diesel?
Generally a diesel engine oil is more robust than an oil made for gasoline engines. There is the possibility of accelerated engine wear, inability to handle the soot, excessive foaming, or other problems.

Originally Posted By: fonecord2
What will happen if you use a non-rated oil like the rp 10w-30 in a diesel?

Additionally, the thickness might be an issue. Even the older RP 10w-30 SL stuff was still an ILSAC type 10w-30, just with the GF-3 specification. That's on the thinner side of a 30, whereas a 30 grade HDEO is on the thicker side of things, with an HTHS of 3.5 or higher. RP does have HDEOs, and their 10w-40, 5w-40, and 0w-40 grades at least at one point displayed some older API diesel specifications.

Look at the Schaeffer 7000 synth blend 10w-30 *diesel* oil.
You get a high VI, meet CJ-4 specs, and get their kick-[censored] additive package.
The 10w-30 with a high VI and narrower multi-vis range is good on these EGR diesels to provide reliable injector function.
A 10w is fine for most winter use and you get a very pourable oil - put a quart of it in the freezer overnight and watch it pour the next morning.

I suggest Motorcraft 10w30 diesel oil.

If your local walmart is like mine they've started carrying the motorcraft 10w30 diesel oil in 5 quarts jusgs around 17 bucks for 5 quarts, not at all bad for a quality diesel oil

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back