Brake Rotors: Wagner vs Wearever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting ready to purchase rotors to replace OEM on an 01 Tacoma, choices narrowed to those in the topic. They will be purchased at AAP using one of the current codes. They will be combined with new Wagner Thermoquiet pads from Amazon (best price) taking advantage of $15 rebate, cost ~$16 + tax after rebate.

Wagner rotors will cost ~$46 + tax after AAP online code. Wearever rotors will cost ~$43 with a code minus $15 current AAP rebate, ~$28.

Truck has ~133k miles, driven regularly but not hard and as mentioned current are original rotors.

Question, are the Wagner rotors worth the $18 premium over the Wearever's?

I'd go with whatever is cheapest.

The biggest problem that I've had with Wearever rotors from Advance was that Advance sold me two rotors from two different suppliers, for the same vehicle. Part of it was MY fault, for not opening the boxes and looking at them before leaving the store, or before starting the job. (Boxes were identical)

One, the outside surface of the "hat" was milled smooth, and the other one, the "hat" had a rough cast surface.

Other than that, after using the Wearever rotors on multiple vehicles, I haven't had a bit of problem with the rotors themselves. I continue to use them, I just look at them before leaving the store.

I put Wagner thermo quiet pads on a Toyota rav 4. They are usable, but don't have the stopping power of the original pads, Id say 10% or so reduction in stopping power.

I've had the same issue with WAGNER TOO! Just recently, I replace the Rotors(from AAP) on my wifes Lexus and the two front were from different Mfg's. Noticably but, both work fine! The hubs/hats were slightly different
smile.gif

An AAP front end manager(whom I speak with frequently) has told me on several occassions that...Wagner and WearEver Rotors all come from the same manufacture(s). Boxed in the same white boxes, thrown onto a pallet and labeled/warranted differently for sale.

But, they're the same, he claims...I said, "probably" and he replied, No, not probably, they are the same even if they're mixed from different mfg's as in mine and your(mrsilv04) case!

This guy is sharp! He's not just some guy selling parts. He's quite knowlegable in his field and he and I don't have many disagreements on things. He's always open minded as well!

Yup Sayj, I'd spend $28/ea instead of $46/ea.
smile.gif

Last edited:
I ended up buying a third rotor, which I looked at in the store, which happened to match the one with the rough cast hat (down to all of the stampings on the rotor.... and then returned the smooth one.

Knowing that there were mismatched rotors on there would have played heck with my OCD... Just not worth it.

Based on previous posts fairly sure Wearever's are made in China. If I could be positive the Wagner's coo is the US, I'd go that route. But a google search, Amazon comments and Char's comment indicate Wagner's also made in China. So likely go with the Wearever's and inspect them for match before I take them.

Haven't ordered the Thermoquiet pads yet so I may take a look closer at the Wearever Platinum Premium Ceramic pads. They also have another $15 rebate. But thinking the Thermoquiet's will be acceptable for this application.

Thanks for the responses and personal experience.

Is aap cheaper than amazon? I was impressed with amazon pricing on Bendix stuff. I like the Bendix rotors. Not sure if it is an option though.

Bendix is a large, local employer here. My friend works there as an engineer. Ford layed him off and he moved his family from the Detroit area to northeastern Ohio.

I'ved used wagners and wearevers no problems with either.

like said above get what ever is cheapest
smile.gif

maybe even try rockauto. sometimes they have closeouts and even with the shipping you can save a bit of money

Wagner is OK, but my choice would be Centric Premium because it has a black coating to deter rust.

I always start my parts search at Rock Auto because of their excellent parts listing including different quality levels and favorite parts id's. Unfortunately the shipping costs (in this case $13.50 to start) and delivery time usually puts them behind Amazon.

Checked out Bendix on Amazon, but only one left on stock of my application. If they had them, a bit more expensive than the Wearevers at AAP with code. But did find out the Wagner are not a warehouse item, only direct manufacturer special order so code won't work for them. Amazon Thermoquiet pads less than AAP even with code. But rotors more expensive than AAP Wearevers.

I'll order tomorrow, likely Thermoquiet pads, and keep looking at rotors to see if I can come close to the Wearevers.

Either will be fine . On the wagner pads do not put grease in the center on the shim like a normal pad. It isnt needed due to design and using grease as normal will cause bad squealing and poor performance.

Unfortunately, both are likely made in China. I have used both and neither has proved to me to be superior to the other. You will likely wear out the rotors long before the pads wear out.I doubt any rotors today are "currently" made in the USA anymore which is shameful.

Last edited:
The honest truth is both are probably made in the same factory. Go with whatever is cheapest.

Might I also suggest browsing 1AAuto - they usually have a great bundle of ceramic brake pads and 2 rotors for ~$100. http://www.1aauto.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back