Choose my oil for me! 1997 Dodge Ram 5.2L V8

Status
Not open for further replies.
What kind of oil should I use, make my mind up for me...

Details:

1. 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4WD 5.2L V8.
2. 5w30 to 10w30 is what owners manual says to use-don't have certifications in front of me.
3. I live in Western, NC-somewhat hilly/mountainous.
4. I drive this truck pretty easy, I never get on it hard, mostly no more than 1500-2500 rpm to conserve what fuel I can.
5. This truck is not my daily driver. I drive it to work once a week (mostly interstate, 40 miles round trip) and the occasional trip to Home Depot or Lowe's.
6. Truck has 71,xxx miles with no problems.

I bought the truck from my parents. My dad always took it to Mopar Express Lane for oil changes, so it has always had 5w30 Pennzoil in it-Mopar oil filter. I have always changed my own oil, so why stop now? Don't know if I want to stick with the Pennzoil or not. I have only put 800 miles on the truck in 2 months. I am open to conventional or synthetic. Thanks!

Amsoil
smile.gif

35.gif

With your driving style, miles, and climate any respectable dino oil will do just fine for a 5k interval.

You could extend your intervals with a UOA, and/or with synthetic. If you like changing oil, go with dino. If you want to go a year (or more) between changes, use synthetic.

Either way a good quality filter (Mopars are good IIRC) and your 5.2 will last a long long time.

If it's an automatic transmission, do a pan drop and refill every 30k to get the most out of your trans; they like fresh fluid; make sure to use ATF+4.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick answer. I have looked at Amsoil. If I do synthetic how long of an interval can I go? To be honest, I might only put 4800 miles on the truck in a year at the rate I am going.

Try Mobil 1 0w30 AFE.

You mentioned that fuel economy matters to you and this is supposed to improve fuel economy.

I also understand Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 is very light. Your driving style and pattern would benefit from an oil that is light as possible when you start up but with the rated protection when warmed up.

Also, do push it for a few miles on your 40 mile trip. Its good to get it some exercise.

I'd use a name brand Dino and switch it out every 5000 or a year whatever comes first. Or if you wanted to use synthetic do the same thing and not have a single worry.

Thanks for the input. Might just go with PYB every 5000 miles and a Wix filter (I use Wix in my other vehicles).

I have been running 5-30 in mine the last couple years. I have some 10-30 to use up in stash that I will run during the summer months this year. Make sure to change out your PCV valve if you havent already. I have ran anything from Purolator Classics to Bosh D+ which I have installed now. Little TLC and hopefully it will last you a long time!!
smile.gif

my 98 Ram with the 5.2 calls for 10W30. although the 318 is well-known for being a very long-lasting, durable engine (200-300k miles) on the Magnum engine the oil pickup screen is very fine and has been known to clog with sludge. google it for more info. I also have a friend who had a 99 Durango with the 318 and he puked the motor at 34k. I dont know hiw OCI, but he was using QS Green bottle. I'm sure he ran more than 3l OCI's but probly not double that. that being said, I always run Amsoil or M1 in mine. of course, I also tow a 6000 lb boat.

Originally Posted By: RobertHMcDonald
Thanks for the input. Might just go with PYB every 5000 miles and a Wix filter (I use Wix in my other vehicles).

Sounds good to me. If it was my truck I'd run PYB 5w30 and a Wix filter every 5k miles.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Go with MaxLife 10W-30.

I am MaxLife in my 97 Dakota 5.2 4WD. I do not put a lot of miles on the truck but it seems to be hard on oil due to short driving cycles.

I had a 5.9 Magnum which was basically the same motor. I ran 10w30 in it and when I traded it at 130,000. It never used a drop of oil between 4,000 mile oil changes. I just used conventional oil, usually Castrol GTX. That was in cold PA winters too and Florida Heat. The Transmission has band adjustments. Get a service manual and it tells you how to adjust them. I did every ATF change and never had trouble with my transmission. It was smooth when I traded it. I changed the fluid/filter every 25,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back