What are the good oversized filters for 2.5L Jeep Wrangler? #'s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
guys,

I've been looking at some oversize filters for my 2.5L Jeep Wrangler TJ.

I found Wix 1515, Baldwin B2... Will these work ok without blowing up my engine or anything crazy?

-Are there any other really good ones that fit?

thanks
seth

I'm getting a quote on the Wix 1515 I can get the Baldwin B2 for $3.57. It is almost 60 cents cheaper than the B34 which is smaller... How can that be?

The BH-HPG, I didn't get a quote on that but it is probably a little more. I would expect it to be a little bit more expensive. Anyone know more details on the High Performance grade Baldwins vs. the regular Microlite? Is the flow less than the Mobil 1 or Purolator?

I assume the bigger filter is specified for use on more engines, therefor it sells more, higher volume = lower cost. I could be wrong though on this though (probably am!). Example, at Canadian Tire the standard oil filter for my 3 cylinder Geo Metro, Is about 6 dollars. The Ford V8 filter is 2 dollars less.

Seth, the 1515 napa gold is available at napa for around 4.85 and the smaller stock 1085 napa gold runs for 5.15 or so! I have been using the 1085's on my 4 banger but after auto rx I am going to run German Castrol with the oversized 1515 and do 10k changes.

Before I installed my remote filter mount system I used to run the Wix 1515 filter on my 00 2.5L TJ with no problems. I also used the SuperTech ST8A. My brother's 4.0L TJ uses the SuperTech ST8A's all the time with great results. His last UOA alogn with mine are in the UOA forum not too long ago.

Look up the ones for a 5.0 Ford should be the same filter, but longer.

-T

On the 4 banger you should be able to fit a Balwin BT251 or a Wix 51773 ...over 7 inches long. I use a MOPAR oil cooler (heater coolant line) sandwich adapter and fit the B2/FL1A sized filter w/o difficulty. The 4.0 would be a challenge for this filter maybe.

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
On the 4 banger you should be able to fit a Balwin BT251 or a Wix 51773 ...over 7 inches long. I use a MOPAR oil cooler (heater coolant line) sandwich adapter and fit the B2/FL1A sized filter w/o difficulty. The 4.0 would be a challenge for this filter maybe.

Gary, I don't think I need anything quite that big. That is pretty big. That is a lot of weight hanging out plus if I go offroad I gotta worry about more vibration and clearance.

BTW I got a quote for the Baldwin B2-HPG: $6.62
still very cheap!!

For a Wix filter I'd use:
51085 which is regular size I think for $3.72 or a 51515 (oversize I think?) for $3.40

If you cross over the B2-HPG you get a:
B2-HPG to Wix# 51515R $6.40

What the heck is the R suffix? Does that that mean race? Are these more restrictive but higher efficieny? They are almost 2x more

I don't have a clue on the "r" suffix
confused.gif

I would have no problem with the big filter because of weight/length. My oil cooler thingie is way heavier than an oil filter. The thing won't even reach the frame area ..but you may have to pull it out via that little open spot between the body mount and the fender (frame/body cavity). Some of the 4.0's had problems with the bigger (B2 size) filter due to various motor mount issue on different models (some YJ and Cherokees). Admittedly, I still use the small filter simply because I never bothered to try the larger one. Then again ...I use synths HDEOs and change it every 6 months anyway....

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
I don't have a clue on the "r" suffix
confused.gif

I would have no problem with the big filter because of weight/length. My oil cooler thingie is way heavier than an oil filter. The thing won't even reach the frame area ..but you may have to pull it out via that little open spot between the body mount and the fender (frame/body cavity). Some of the 4.0's had problems with the bigger (B2 size) filter due to various motor mount issue on different models (some YJ and Cherokees). Admittedly, I still use the small filter simply because I never bothered to try the larger one. Then again ...I use synths HDEOs and change it every 6 months anyway....

Gary,

Notice the price increase on the Wix filter with the "R" on it. It is the same type of price increase as seen when you go from a Baldwin B2 to a B2-HPG. Not that this really gives any solid evidence but I was thinking perhaps the Wix "R" suffix meant that it had a different media a more efficient media just like the HPG for Baldwin. I am pretty curious now.

Anyone know?

Well, the price difference may be similar to the price difference for the Fram HP1 and HP2 (Ford or Chevy V8). These filters had radically heavier cases to withstand the high oil pressure of engines that would have 7000 rpm capability off the show room floor (Boss 302 for example). The Frams were about $16 each back in 75 or 76. This was with the trade discount. The normal filter was about what it is today ...about $2-3

The internal media may infact be identical.
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back